Motorguide XI5

Started by Jerod22, May 29, 2018, 12:10:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerod22

Im getting ready to buy a Motorguide Xi5 for my boat.  Do any of you run these?  What do you like about them and what do you hate.

Let me know

Thanks

cojab

Yes I run one.

What do I like? More than anything I like the Spot Lock feature. Very handy for many things. I also like the cruise control feature. One of the lakes I fish is electric only and I fish the side away from the boat ramp. I point the boat in the direction I want, lock the cruise and then I sit back for the ride and get all my rods and reels set for how Im going to fish that day without having to think about the TM. I also really like the wireless foot pedal. To be honest I have never used the preset route feature.

What I dont like? Not much really. As much as I like the spot lock it does seem to over correct a bit and has to go to a higher speed to stay put. This will wash out a spot bad if your fishing shallow.
I also thought I would use the hand remote a lot more than I do. It's actually a pain to have hanging around your neck and reaching for it when you want to be working your bait. I have changed from having it around my neck, to keeping it in a pocket and using the foot control. The remote is water proof and I figure that by keeping it in my pocket in case I fall out of the boat somehow I can hopefully use it to bring the boat back to me instead of it movng away from me.
It should be in the like column but at the end of the day I can pull up to the dock, hop off and move my boat away from the dock, engage the spot lock and go get my trailer. Then I use the hand remote to bring the boat right to the trailer.

All in all if I had to do it over, I would buy the new Ultrex. If the new Ultrex wasn't there I dont have many complaints on the Xi5 and I would buy it again.

Good luck
TTK has spoken.

Dark3

Spot lock feature useful, remote amazing. Used foot pedal once and never again. I would buy one again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cojab

Quote from: Dark3 on June 05, 2018, 12:59:31 PM
Spot lock feature useful, remote amazing. Used foot pedal once and never again. I would buy one again.

lo lo
Funny how different people have different taste.
I really thought I would never use the foot pedal. Now I rarely use the remote...

Good to see you around again Dark3
TTK has spoken.

Dark3

Quote from: cojab on June 05, 2018, 01:08:13 PM
lo lo
Funny how different people have different taste.
I really thought I would never use the foot pedal. Now I rarely use the remote...

Good to see you around again Dark3
You too cojab

Nutoy

Had mine for about six months. It's also linked to my HDS units.
As stated above, the spot lock is the most used feature I use. I also like the "Go To Cursor" feature and have only used the trails feature a few times so I'm still on the fence with that.
I don't like the remote, unless I'm fishing a brush pile. I don't the foot pedal as well, but not near as bad as the remote.
If I was to do it again, I'd get a Minn Kota I Pilot. The foot pedal is like a regular foot control pedal, but with power steering. 

basss

Quote from: cojab on June 05, 2018, 12:52:08 PM
I point the boat in the direction I want, lock the cruise and then I sit back for the ride and get all my rods and reels set for how Im going to fish that day without having to think about the TM.

Now that's what I'm talking about.
1995 Gheenoe Highsider
2018 12' Bote HD Paddleboard