Kayak length

Started by Stren_g, May 31, 2018, 08:23:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stren_g

So I have decided to try kayak fishing. After researching different models, I have narrowed down a few. I am curious though as to real world differences in length, say between a 10' and 12' in the same model. What would a person notice most between the two? I've read tracking and speed is better with a longer boat, but maneuverability is better with a short boat. Anyone here care to share their experiences?

BrandonK

I personally won't even consider a 10'. That little storage you have in a kayak gets filled surprisingly quick, and I really don't feel I even bring that much along. But yes, shorter kayak = easier to maneuver and longer = faster and straighter

Stren_g

I'm not sure that I need much storage, I carry 3 rods and few 3700 size boxes in a backpack when I'm beating the banks. I'm looking at the new 3 waters big fish series they have a 10.5' and a 12', I can get the 10.5 with a rudder or the 120 without. I fish smaller water, but there is a lot of wind here in Nebraska so tracking is probably going to be as important as stability to me.

BrandonK

Best advice I can give regarding kayaks is to paddle as many as you can and get an idea of what style you like and what is most important for YOU. There is no overall "best kayak" or even best style kayak. I have gone through plenty and have found the type that I like to be the kayak/canoe hybrid but they aren't for everyone

Stren_g

I'm not really looking for a "best" option, more of a what does what better between lengths. Like how much difference will someone notice in tracking with a 1.5' difference in length? Will a rudder/skegg on the shorter boat make it track as good or better than the 12' boat? How will initial stability be affected? I've read different manufacturers product descriptions, but I'm looking for real world input.

BrandonK

In my experience, if you're talking the same kayak but in 2 different lengths, a 10' with a rudder will track very similar to a 12' without one. Obviously the 12' with a rudder improves further. I find the longer kayaks provide more stability as well, assuming they are the same width, which they are not always. Really the only advantages of a shorter kayak, in my opinion, are better maneuverability, easier transport, and lighter to carry. In my opinion, a 12' is the best compromise of the characteristics of a shorter and longer kayak.

Stren_g

I appreciate your input, as I don't have to opportunity to try before I buy. I may get the 12' and just have to save up for the rudder system. I've been looking for deals on used kayaks in my area but there just aren't any that I've found. It's looking like I'm gonna have to take my chances on an internet purchase.

D.W. Verts

I love my 12' Patriot. Other than that, I know nothing about kayaks!
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

ItsJason

If you fish in high winds, a rudder will make a huge difference.
And you pretty much got the difference between the two. Not familiar with the weights of those two, but that's also something to consider, specially if you often fish alone and/or car top.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

j102

There is also the maximum weight (person and gears) that is supported by the kayak. Most 12' allowed more weight than 10' kayaks.

Stren_g

I'm almost thinkin that I should go with the longer yak and add the rudder later. The big fish 120 is 12' by 36" wide, has 400lb capacity and is 100lbs. I'll be transporting it via pickup truck with a bed extender. 20 mph wind is normal here, and often it blows harder. I reckon I'll tough it out without the rudder for a while. I'm really excited to get off the bank!

j102

Quote from: Stren_g on June 01, 2018, 01:31:23 PM
I'm almost thinkin that I should go with the longer yak and add the rudder later. The big fish 120 is 12' by 36" wide, has 400lb capacity and is 100lbs. I'll be transporting it via pickup truck with a bed extender. 20 mph wind is normal here, and often it blows harder. I reckon I'll tough it out without the rudder for a while. I'm really excited to get off the bank!

20mph winds is a lot. What do other Kayakers do/use in your area?
It would be great if you can find out what others do/use in your area. You not only want the best tool for the job, but also the safest one.

Stren_g

I honestly don't know many fishermen in my area. The ones I see are either on walleye boats or bank fish. There is a Jackson dealer a ways north of me, but I can't afford those lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stren_g

I went ahead and ordered the 12' model, I'll just add the rudder later on if i need to!

SteelHorseCowboy

The lower profile of a kayak should help mitigate being blown around too much by the wind. My only experience with kayaks are from a summer camp I went to over 20 years ago, but I have plenty of experience with other small man-powered craft.
Unbalanced weight can make windy days a living hell. Distribute the weight as evenly as you can, try to keep the bow down a bit. The seating position of a one person kayak should help with that too, the heaviest part of the load (you) is already pretty well centered.

Speed? Motors are for speed, man power is for ease of use and transport.
That 12' should probably do well for you. You probably wouldn't notice a difference in maneuverability between it and the 10 footer, but you probably would notice the difference in stability, plus it's not so long as to catch the wind like a sail.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Stren_g

I'm playing the waiting game now, and in two weeks I'll get to see what this kayak thing is all about!

Kayankee

Whether you cater to yak length or rod length one thing I try to consider is I want to be able to swing my rod easily across and over the bow of the yak from seated fighting position. My $.02

Deadeye

Quote from: Stren_g on June 05, 2018, 12:46:09 PM
I'm playing the waiting game now, and in two weeks I'll get to see what this kayak thing is all about!

So how do you like your new Yak now that you have had it for awhile?

My one Daughter and her Man have the ones from BPS hers is 10 ft and his is the 12 ft. They both like them and both say theirs is very stable. He is not a small guy either! He probably weighs in the 275 range.

Stren_g

Quote from: Deadeye on December 16, 2018, 09:27:39 AM
So how do you like your new Yak now that you have had it for awhile?

My one Daughter and her Man have the ones from BPS hers is 10 ft and his is the 12 ft. They both like them and both say theirs is very stable. He is not a small guy either! He probably weighs in the 275 range.

It's been great so far! The Big Fish 120 is plenty stable, I was able to stand up on my first outing with no problems. After using it for one season I can't find many faults with it... especially any that can't be rectified. I'm hoping to get a rudder and fish finder for next season!

coldfront

Quote from: j102 on June 01, 2018, 05:00:43 PM
20mph winds is a lot. What do other Kayakers do/use in your area?

yep.  20 is a lot.  but awful typical.  plus a lot of those water retention lakes local in NE will be oriented north/south and catch a lot of wind to boot.

Stren_g

Quote from: coldfront on December 16, 2018, 10:25:20 AM
yep.  20 is a lot.  but awful typical.  plus a lot of those water retention lakes local in NE will be oriented north/south and catch a lot of wind to boot.
It's a workout for sure!

bmac88

I've fished with a Titan 10.2 and a Pro Angler 14. Your points are very much correct. My 10.5 was very slow but mobility and stability was amazing. My 14 is way faster and tracking is definetly better. Just depends on what you want more.
When fishing is more than just a hobby!