Previous topic - Next topic

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: CountBassula on June 03, 2018, 05:20:24 AM
Gambler and Count text each other at 6am lololololololzzzzzzz

M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol!

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

LgMouthGambler

So I ended up buying a 13 Omen 2 MH F. I was gonna get the Helios rod, but that would seem to limit me. Rick has had good luck so far with the Helios rod and reel combo, so I opted for the 13 rod to pair with. Lets see if it gets to me beforr the weekend.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

CountBassula

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on June 03, 2018, 07:55:39 PM
So I ended up buying a 13 Omen 2 MH F. I was gonna get the Helios rod, but that would seem to limit me. Rick has had good luck so far with the Helios rod and reel combo, so I opted for the 13 rod to pair with. Lets see if it gets to me beforr the weekend.

<")))>{

Wait you bought 13 fishing rods?!?!? Jesus I hope you got a bulk discount

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on June 03, 2018, 07:55:39 PM

<")))>{
Should be a good rod. I like their rods.

PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Lipripper

Quote from: CountBassula on June 04, 2018, 02:11:23 AM
Wait you bought 13 fishing rods?!?!? Jesus I hope you got a bulk discount

You must be pulling LMG's chain he bought a 13 Omen 2 MH F rod not 13 fishing rods.  lo lo

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Dark3

So Ive been out of the game and off the radar for a little while. While it sucks to admit I once again sold off my gear. Its the last time it will ever happen. Very foolish. Last time I re-up my gear I had a nice lot of JDM reels. So I will soon be making a rod or reel purchase. What have I missed in the last year. I know they finally dropped the bantam reel.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Dark3 on June 04, 2018, 11:05:50 AM
So Ive been out of the game and off the radar for a little while. While it sucks to admit I once again sold off my gear. Its the last time it will ever happen. Very foolish. Last time I re-up my gear I had a nice lot of JDM reels. So I will soon be making a rod or reel purchase. What have I missed in the last year. I know they finally dropped the bantam reel.

Its all the same garbage, just prettier.  lo

BarryFL

The TATULA SV is pretty good place to start from a pricing perspective, IMO, and the previous model TATULA rods are hard to beat. Models that  start with TAT use the same VSF blanks at the ZILLION and STEEZ lines with only slightly lesser hardware.

-Barry-

~Barry~

CountBassula

Is here an advantage to those micro thingies on the rod that line goes through or no. Sorry the word escapes me ;-)

CountBassula

Micro guides :-)

Dark3

Quote from: CountBassula on June 05, 2018, 06:56:06 AM
Is here an advantage to those micro thingies on the rod that line goes through or no. Sorry the word escapes me ;-)

I owned one micro guide rod and will not buy another. I personally was having issues with braid basically slowing down as it traveled through the guides creating slack between them and losing distance on casts when compared to the same actions in a standard guide model.

LgMouthGambler

Not a huge fan of micro guides, especially with braid. The closest Ill do is the Fuji Torzite.

SFL BassHunter

Not a fan of micro guides. The Helios I have has micro guides, works fine if I use any line straight. But if you use leaders, microguides are not good. Luckily I don't use leaders on my frog rod.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

LgMouthGambler

Finished up Steves Revo tonight.

<")))>{

FD

Quote from: CountBassula on June 05, 2018, 06:56:27 AM
Micro guides :-)

Like any other of the thingys we fish with, micro guides have their place in our tackle arsenal. 

As Rick mentioned, they don't work well with leader knots.

If they are properly spaced they do reduce line slap, which increases casting distance.  Honestly you're only going to get that benefit on a custom built rod.

The problem with most factory built rods is they have too many running guides which negates any benefit gained from reduced line slap.

So basically if you're buying one from BPS, then you're getting the equivalent of a "bango minnow".

swim/bike/run....repeat

Sent from the end of the paved road.....
Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

LgMouthGambler

I caught a lot of fish on the Banjo Minnow. Lol

<")))>{

FloridaFishinFool

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on June 05, 2018, 08:41:24 PM

Wow. That's a lot of grease on the drive gear. As soon as the handle is turned most of that will squeeze out and be useless as it all collects up around pinion gear and slings out on to the side plate. Also there is a chance for the squeezed out grease to get on drag washers.

We are trained to thinly coat the gear teeth but not heavy enough to squeeze out.

From what I see here I could grease a half dozen gear sets or more with that much grease.

As for micro guides I love them. I have not noticed any casting issues with them. But I use 20 pound braid not 65 which does make a difference.
Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!

SteelHorseCowboy

I use about the same amount and I've noticed no such thing happening. A little squeeze out, yes, but stays on the edge of the gear without slinging around.
And this is still only a tiny fraction of what I've seen manufacturer's use. The Abu's I've taken apart looked like they were greased with a grease gun, my Shimano was packed like a damn trailer hub bearing.
Maybe you should consider a different grease if you're having so much sling-off?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

FloridaFishinFool

Quote from: FD on June 06, 2018, 04:11:16 AM

Like any other of the thingys we fish with, micro guides have their place in our tackle arsenal. 

As Rick mentioned, they don't work well with leader knots.

If they are properly spaced they do reduce line slap, which increases casting distance.  Honestly you're only going to get that benefit on a custom built rod.

The problem with most factory built rods is they have too many running guides which negates any benefit gained from reduced line slap.

So basically if you're buying one from BPS, then you're getting the equivalent of a "bango minnow".

swim/bike/run....repeat

Sent from the end of the paved road.....

Excellent observation and comment. I second this. I have been making my own custom spiral wraps for about 25 years now mostly with micro guides.
Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!

FloridaFishinFool

Quote from: SteelHorseCowboy on June 06, 2018, 06:47:57 AM
I use about the same amount and I've noticed no such thing happening. A little squeeze out, yes, but stays on the edge of the gear without slinging around.
And this is still only a tiny fraction of what I've seen manufacturer's use. The Abu's I've taken apart looked like they were greased with a grease gun, my Shimano was packed like a damn trailer hub bearing.
Maybe you should consider a different grease if you're having so much sling-off?

We have to use the lubricants recommended by the manufacturers in order to be a warranty repair facility.

Using too much grease is not effective. The only grease that matters is that which does not squeeze out from in between meshing gear teeth.

So only use enough to thinly coat gear teeth and no more.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: FloridaFishinFool on June 06, 2018, 06:34:34 AM
Wow. That's a lot of grease on the drive gear. As soon as the handle is turned most of that will squeeze out and be useless as it all collects up around pinion gear and slings out on to the side plate. Also there is a chance for the squeezed out grease to get on drag washers.

We are trained to thinly coat the gear teeth but not heavy enough to squeeze out.

From what I see here I could grease a half dozen gear sets or more with that much grease.

As for micro guides I love them. I have not noticed any casting issues with them. But I use 20 pound braid not 65 which does make a difference.

Thats just to make sure its coated well. Its part of my "process".  ~shade

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: SteelHorseCowboy on June 06, 2018, 06:47:57 AM

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Dont worry about the packing of grease inside the reel. If anything, it helps to keep corrosion from taking effect on metal parts. As far as grease getting on the drag discs from the gears, its not gonna happen as the washers protect and cover the discs. If you do what I do, then you are perfectly fine, and are reaping the benefits of using better grease. 

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on June 06, 2018, 07:47:43 AM
Thats just to make sure its coated well. Its part of my "process".  ~shade
The process works. All my reels, which the majority are Shimano's, get serviced every year by LMG. Not once in 4 years have I had an issue with grease being squeezed out of any part of the reel. I can understand that a service center may operate under different parameters, vs an independent technician's parameters. But the end result is still a great working reel. :)

FloridaFishinFool

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on June 06, 2018, 07:55:19 AM
As far as grease getting on the drag discs from the gears, its not gonna happen as the washers protect and cover the discs.

I disagree with this claim. Grease can and will creep and move around.

There are no seals around drag washer plates.

One issue to be concerned with is that some manufacturers make drag washers and others parts that will dissolve or fail if the wrong lubricant is used like petroleum based. And with some greases they will break down over time and solids separate from the carrier and the oily liquid will creep into drag washers. We see it all the time.

This is why every reel manufacturer specifies what lubricants should be used in their reels and which ones should never be used inside their reels.