Cats and bass boats

Started by Bassinkorea, June 01, 2018, 09:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bassinkorea

I just took the cover off of my boat and opened the rod lockers and was met with several baby furry beasts.
Yes, a female cat has decided my Triton was a good place to give birth to her litter, and now some of them have moved into places I cannot reach.

My questions are;

1. How do I get them out?  I am assuming they will all leave eventually, but I don't want them peeing and pooping any more in my boat (they have done enough of that already!!!!  ~xyz ~xyz )

2. How to thoroughly clean out interier of the boat to get rid of the pee and poop?

3. How to stop more of these beasts coming in and using my boat as an animal maternity hospital (some kind of repellant)?
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Bassinkorea on June 01, 2018, 09:28:05 PM
I just took the cover off of my boat and opened the rod lockers and was met with several baby furry beasts.
Yes, a female cat has decided my Triton was a good place to give birth to her litter, and now some of them have moved into places I cannot reach.

My questions are;

1. How do I get them out?  I am assuming they will all leave eventually, but I don't want them peeing and pooping any more in my boat (they have done enough of that already!!!!  ~xyz ~xyz )

2. How to thoroughly clean out interier of the boat to get rid of the pee and poop?

3. How to stop more of these beasts coming in and using my boat as an animal maternity hospital (some kind of repellant)?

Dang BK... that's a tough one.  :o ~sweat

Donald Garner

Steve, how did the cats get into your rod boxes?  Shampooing the carpet is the only thing I know that will get the smell out.  But then again it might not depending on how bad it is.

Good luck with getting them out.  Hopefully the mother hasn't drug any other little critters up in there also.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Dark3

Its now kinda of bass cat boat? 🤪 I know you can use a mixture of vinegar and water and even baking soda to completely remove the scent and stains. If you have a pet like a puppy have an accident in the house it removes it so they cant smell it and target the area again. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Princeton_Man

A big snake should be able to remove the cats, then all you have to do is remove the snake.  :)
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Wizard

Moth balls will keep most critters at bay.  Irish Spring soap set inside the boat works as well.  I
use both as raccoons are a problem here.

Wizard

D.W. Verts

Start a fire under the boat. It will all be taken care of.
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Lipripper

Quote from: Donald Garner on June 02, 2018, 08:48:30 AM
Steve, how did the cats get into your rod boxes?  Shampooing the carpet is the only thing I know that will get the smell out.  But then again it might not depending on how bad it is.

Good luck with getting them out.  Hopefully the mother hasn't drug any other little critters up in there also.

I was thinking the same thing. Don't your boxes have a lid on them? If they are old enough you might be able to coax them out with some food so you can catch them.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Captsteve

Quote from: D.W. Verts on June 02, 2018, 01:18:24 PM
Start a fire under the boat. It will all be taken care of.
That will cure all problems. lo lo

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Steve
Headed for the Lake

Bassinkorea

Some great suggestions there guys, and some, well, not so great ideas   ~xyz lo

The cat got in though a gap under my console, which connects the entire interior though the gunwales.

I was thinking about just hitting the inside of the rod lockers with a power washer. If the kittens are still in there, the water should drive them out, killing two birds (cats) with one stone. But I'm not sure if the water will drain out of the rod lockers into the bilge or not.

A quick search on YouTube came up with a repellent idea of white vinegar, lemon juice and fresh rosemary in a spray bottle. Apparently cats hate the smell of all three of those ingredients.

Bassinkorea

Quote from: Captsteve on June 02, 2018, 06:54:53 PM
That will cure all problems. lo lo

Except for the small issue of not having a boat   :help:

Captsteve

Quote from: Bassinkorea on June 02, 2018, 08:44:45 PM
Except for the small issue of not having a boat   :help:
oh yea.....

Steve
Headed for the Lake

Bassinkorea

On the plus side, there's no mice in my boat   lo

Donald Garner

Steve good luck in getting the cats out.  There should be drain hole in the corner of your rod boxes.   If not then you could put one in yourself.  Is there a way to block that area under your console to keep the animals from getting inside?
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Kris

I am not sure how well your cover actually covers your boat. I had a Friend who had a problem with a cat getting into his boat and used an inflatable raft to block the area around the outboard where he thought the cat might have gotten in. Never had another problem after that.
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

aclawrence

Cat urine is one seriously pungent aroma lol. It's about near impossible to get out but I would go with the vinegar and baking soda like mentioned above. We've done that before with pretty good results on different stinky things. You might you tube it. I think there's a process to it but I can't remember exactly what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D.W. Verts

A cup of baking soda, mixed with a bottle of Peroxide and a tablespoon of good dish soap. Mix it in a spray bottle of water, and you have the most effective scent killer that you can make yourself. Spray judiciously.

Trust me. I'm a trapper. I've had more first hand encounters with PO'd skunks than ya'll would ever believe.

Bassinkorea

First of all, thank you for the great responses.

Update;
All of the cats (kittens) are out. I managed to get two out with my hands before they disappeared into the dark depths of my boat cable routes. Lots of banging on the outside of the hull for a few days must have had the mother take her little ones out.
I "borrowed" a borescope camera from work and probed around and found the boat to be all clear. I boxed up the hole I assumed they were using to get in and put the cover back on all nice and tight with the help of several ratchet straps for extra security.

Next step is going to be be getting the rod locker cleaned and stench neutralized.

Bassinkorea

Quote from: D.W. Verts on June 08, 2018, 11:08:29 PM
A cup of baking soda, mixed with a bottle of Peroxide and a tablespoon of good dish soap. Mix it in a spray bottle of water, and you have the most effective scent killer that you can make yourself. Spray judiciously.

Trust me. I'm a trapper. I've had more first hand encounters with PO'd skunks than ya'll would ever believe.

Dale, what size bottle of peroxide are you talking here?

Thornback

I have no suggestions on how to get the felines out of your boat. Good luck. But if you Google "Nok-Out Odor Eliminator" you might want to try it. I heard it works through a chemical action and will even eliminate the burnt wood smell from a house fire.

D.W. Verts

Just a pint will do...

That's what my formula does- it releases odor by reaction.