Buddy or single tourneys?

Started by zippyduck, June 02, 2018, 05:20:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zippyduck

Buddy tournaments seem to be more popular lately. Is this the way of the future or just a trend?
Most of the clubs around me are boater/rider tourneys while most of the opens are buddy tourneys. I've noticed that even most of the bigger series are starting to be mostly buddy tourneys.

We have three types of clubs in our area starting with boater/rider, buddy, and singles. I myself enjoy fishing buddy tourneys the most, maybe because  i can use all the help i can get. Probably because I really enjoy sharing my fishing days with someone else and being on the same page let alone same team.

On the other hand the boater/rider clubs offer the chance for a young or unexperienced fisherman the chance to get involved in tourneys and to pick up some great knowledge.

Now I personally have never fished a singles tourney except if you consider me fishing a buddy tourney by myself. This idea really intrigues me.

What say you on which do you prefer and why?
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Princeton_Man

When you say buddy, I'm assuming you mean team. I like team tournaments best. Two anglers working together to put five quality fish in a bag can be more fun and more successful.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Lipripper

I'm not a tournament fisherman but if I was I wold say a Buddy one. You could fish together as a team but you caould also be fishing against each other at the same time.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Donald Garner

Quote from: Princeton_Man on June 02, 2018, 05:38:35 AM
When you say buddy, I'm assuming you mean team. I like team tournaments best. Two anglers working together to put five quality fish in a bag can be more fun and more successful.

X2    ;)
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

D.W. Verts

If I ever do this again (IF) I'll do the solo tourneys. There are two of these circuits in MO, and one of them has some real STICKS playin' with them. Good stuff.

When I quit fishin' I was doin' the Pro-Ams. They were pretty much alright too. I don't care as much for buddy events. You need a GOOD buddy (maybe I'm TOO picky?!?) to make it happen, and hope you don't get beat by the cheaters.
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Wizard

Like Dale, I prefer solo tournaments. The win is mine alone and the loss is mine also. I would and have fished buddy tournaments. But only as the back seater. I fish from the front and my partner would hate me as I am a human seine net. If there is a bass on a spot I will catch it. My partner would get frustrated quickly.

Wizard

zippyduck

Wizard,

That is the most confident comment I have ever heard on here. Must be awesome to be that good. ;)
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

D.W. Verts

4000 posts Zippy!

I've been accused of the "seine" thing before. It's all about confidence, and just KNOWING that you're gonna catch 'em all.

And then comes the days when you can't stand up straight, and your partner whacks 'em. Over and over.
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!

Wizard

My fishing and my work went hand and hand as far as confidence. If you aren't competent AND confident, you better do another type of work. If you have fished for 60 years and aren't confident, you didn't learn much on the water. I thought I fished every spot thoroughly until I shared water with Brauer at a tournament. He truly is  human seine net.  I watched him as I fished for 20 minutes. He pitched, retrieved and pitched again. The whole time he never touched his jig. His jig was in the water 95% of the time I watched him.

Wizard

Mike Cork

I like both. When I'm fun fishing and out for a good time my partner and I get after the team circuits. We fish well together, bust each other's balls and still have stories we haven't told each other. Basically, it's a lot of fun.

Now I do have a hardcore side as well and like fishing the singles. Me and the bass for 8 or 9 hours and then show up at the scales and see who bested the bass the best.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Nutoy

Like Mike, I like both team and individual.

As stated above, team allows two people to work together to put the best five fish they can in the boat on that given day, or days.
On some days, one partner is going to have the golden stick no matter how confident either one thinks they are.
Successful partners never compete against one another in a team event. No matter who has the hot hand on any particular day, they still work together. If anything, the one doing well will try to help the other figure out what's different that day.
On days when both partners are on fire, it's like a shot of adrenalin.

Individual tournaments is you against the fish. Nothing else.
You either figure it out or you get your rear end handed to you.
Again, it doesn't matter how confident you are, there's always someone waiting to deflate it for you in a second.

Most important in any style tournament, be a good winner, as well as a good loser.

D.W. Verts

My hero, Gete Hibdon, was the first one I ever heard say "you gotta learn how to lose before you learn how to win". It took me a while before I figured that one out.

basss

I don't do tournaments, but if I did; I would do a buddy one.  Like others have said, you can each throw different things till you get them figured out.
1995 Gheenoe Highsider
2018 12' Bote HD Paddleboard