Preferred setups for a bank?

Started by apiazza, June 12, 2018, 07:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apiazza

I'm getting myself into bass fishing knowing the lake near me has a good supply. Right now I have one spinner and one baitcaster spooled up. Is there a preferred way to rig each knowing I'll be in fairly shallow waters? I'm trying to determine what type of tackle I should be buying to fill my small bag for now. I'm figuring my selection will grow by a couple pieces each time I run into a shop.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Capt. BassinLou

I bank fish often, and what I have found over the years, is to keep things simple. As far as setups, for the most part I take with me a multi application b/c. This way I can change applications on the fly and the outfit can still get the job done.

Donald Garner

Spinnerbaits and some soft plastics baits should do the trick.  I'd get some 7in plastic worms with a ribbon tail.  Texas Rig it with a small worm weight. 

Take some pictures of the area you're going to fish etc. and post them here.  This would help us to determine what type of lures to recommend for ya.  This way you're not spending a whole bunch of money buying things you don't need  ;)

Once the guys here chime in there will be numerous baits that they'll recommend.  All of us will be more than happy to help you spend your money on the Right Stuff  lo  8)
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

apiazza

Right now I have both just spooled with a snap swivel on them. Figured it is easy enough change out.

I will get some photos next time I'm out at one of the spots. It's always good to have friends helping you spend your money

From the map you have an idea how much area I have to work with. 1275 acres of lake.

Justin62882

Shallow crankbaits, senko style bait, and buzzbait for simplicity. Spinnerbaits and 7 inch worm has been mentioned those I recommend as well.
Fishing Is not an escape  from life, but often a deeper immersion into it.

Justin62882

Will you mainly be targeting largemouth?

apiazza

Quote from: Justin62882 on June 12, 2018, 07:54:40 PM
Will you mainly be targeting largemouth?
Not totally sure yet. I hear there are muskee in the lake also. I'm sure there are bluegill and white perch around as well. I'll probably start with mostly going for bass and see where I progress to. Hopefully I can get some local reports of what else is biting.

Justin62882

Good luck hope you catch some fish there

Pferox

Don't know how many times I hit the bank planning on getting into some bass and end up dragging a roadrunner with a little grub around catchin pan fish until a bass decides to get some of what the others are chasing.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

SteelHorseCowboy

These guys have good recommendations on the lures. I just looked up the satellite view and it looks like pretty clear water without an outrageous number of obstructions, and with a good arm and heavy jig you may reach some fairly deep water from the bank.
On google earth, you can see someone kayak fishing a fallen tree near the visitor's center.
I'd stick to those worms and cranks mentioned, maybe throw in a medium depth crank and of course keep a few topwater lures handy.

Just south of the big Marina, there's Laho Trail parking area. There's a bridge right there, and it looks like the trail goes straight to some good fishing spots, one of which looks like a cove with some stumps in the satellite pictures. Just to the east of that parking area is another bridge with what looks like a spot where you could pull off the road and hike in. I use swim baits and t-rigged plastics near the bank under bridges, and reach further out with cranks.

I suck at catching fish, but I'm damn good at scouting locations to fish. I have to be. So much extensive private land ownership down here, plus overzealous land owners who like to call the police on me for armed trespassing when I'm fishing public land, it can sometimes be a real hat trick finding a fishing hole where I won't bother anyone or be bothered by anyone.
But under bridges, especially highway bridges, seem to be fair game just about anywhere. Plus, I enjoy the shade just as much as the fish do.

Here's some info sites and fishing reports for ya.

https://www.fishidy.com/map/us/pennsylvania/marburg-lake

Lake information
https://www.lake-link.com/pennsylvania-lakes/york-county/lake-marburg/32767/?CFID=301866527&CFTOKEN=3371857d121c1bae-075D5C55-ADAE-1A83-53F07276BC1DD8BC

That first link is the only up to date reports I could find, but you may find some in your local paper or ask at your local tackle shop.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

basss

My recommendation is a Rapala Original Floating lure, in size F-5, F-7, or F-9.  They run pretty shallow and just about anything eats them.  The F-5 is pretty small and will most likely only be used on the spinner.
1995 Gheenoe Highsider
2018 12' Bote HD Paddleboard

Lipripper

Quote from: Pferox on June 13, 2018, 12:10:47 AM
Don't know how many times I hit the bank planning on getting into some bass and end up dragging a roadrunner with a little grub around catchin pan fish until a bass decides to get some of what the others are chasing.

Like Jim said take some 1/8 oz roadrunners along with you we catch a lot of Crappie on roadrunners and them Bass will hit them also.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

apiazza

Quote from: SteelHorseCowboy on June 13, 2018, 08:17:02 AM
These guys have good recommendations on the lures. I just looked up the satellite view and it looks like pretty clear water without an outrageous number of obstructions, and with a good arm and heavy jig you may reach some fairly deep water from the bank.
On google earth, you can see someone kayak fishing a fallen tree near the visitor's center.
I'd stick to those worms and cranks mentioned, maybe throw in a medium depth crank and of course keep a few topwater lures handy.

Just south of the big Marina, there's Laho Trail parking area. There's a bridge right there, and it looks like the trail goes straight to some good fishing spots, one of which looks like a cove with some stumps in the satellite pictures. Just to the east of that parking area is another bridge with what looks like a spot where you could pull off the road and hike in. I use swim baits and t-rigged plastics near the bank under bridges, and reach further out with cranks.

I suck at catching fish, but I'm damn good at scouting locations to fish. I have to be. So much extensive private land ownership down here, plus overzealous land owners who like to call the police on me for armed trespassing when I'm fishing public land, it can sometimes be a real hat trick finding a fishing hole where I won't bother anyone or be bothered by anyone.
But under bridges, especially highway bridges, seem to be fair game just about anywhere. Plus, I enjoy the shade just as much as the fish do.

Here's some info sites and fishing reports for ya.

https://www.fishidy.com/map/us/pennsylvania/marburg-lake

Lake information
https://www.lake-link.com/pennsylvania-lakes/york-county/lake-marburg/32767/?CFID=301866527&CFTOKEN=3371857d121c1bae-075D5C55-ADAE-1A83-53F07276BC1DD8BC

That first link is the only up to date reports I could find, but you may find some in your local paper or ask at your local tackle shop.

Thanks for such a detailed response. I'll take a look at the satellite view as well and see if I can pinpoint each of the areas you are referring to. Its a man made lake with a really high water level at the moment. Some areas are probably a bit more challenging to access at the moment.

SteelHorseCowboy

Man, I understand that challenge. The floodwaters in my area just started going down about a month ago, now we're already almost below normal. That's after everything being flooded for about three months with folks commuting to work in jon boats.
A while back I had to back up my pics to my hard drive so I could restore my phone, this is the only flood pic I have on my phone now. This one was taken April 29th, the water started going down sometime during the first week or two of May. This road was submerged from where I took the pic, all the way to the river about two miles away. Now you can drive all the way there and walk DOWN about 30 feet to reach the water.
Just about all my favorite spots have been completely inaccessible the entire spawning season.

I just noticed my registration sticker expires this month.

TrueGritAngler

Well since you have a spinning rod, I would recommend using that for finesse tactics. Weightless Tx Rig, Wacky Rigs, Ned and Neko Rigs all pretty much use the same lure just a slight difference on rigging. So I'd grab some stick baits, 1/0 wacky rig style hooks, 3/0 hooks for 5 inch stick baits. Some Zman TRD Ned rig hooks.
On your bc maybe use that for topwater, swimjigs, chatterbaits, spinnerbaits??
Instagram @truegritangler

apiazza

So much to learn. Going to have to make the search feature my friend for a while.

basss

Quote from: apiazza on June 13, 2018, 06:03:04 PM
So much to learn. Going to have to make the search feature my friend for a while.

Agreed.
1995 Gheenoe Highsider
2018 12' Bote HD Paddleboard

analfisherman

Well my first thought is, instead of getting a lot of tackle and then wading through it........instead start by keeping it simple. (hope you anglers didn't have a heart attack when hearing this from ME)  ~roflmao

The whole KISS concept and Bass fishing IS NEVER HEARD IN MY POSTS!  ~roflmao ~roflmao

BUT, when your new and have a lot of different lures.....things seem to get confusing and you start 'thinking' lures are your answer......WHEN LEARNING the different ways to use individual lures is KEY to your having fun and lkearning every outting.......AND CATCHING FISH WHILE YOUR AT IT.

Sooooooo, my thoughts.
First get some 'Stick Baits', most thing of a stickbait as a Senko type worm.
Now this can be tossed easily TX rigged weightless....hook through the nose and brought back and then through the body up to the top and inbed the hook point.

This set up can then be tossed out and simple let slowly drop on it's own, fluttering slowly as it falls.
Once on bottom, simple 'snap' the rod and it will jump off bottom and then flutter back down.
VERY effective and a go to for MANY shorebusting anglers....as well as boaters.
It's weedless so it can go through grass, vegetation and often even slide over unknown wood without getting a ton of snags and crap coming back to shore.

Same set up can be tossed and fished like a fluke style bait and 'snapped' just below the surface or even on top of surface.....with varied pauses till you decide whats working BEST.

Now add a 1/16oz to a 1/8th or even a 3/8th or a 1/4, bullet head to the rig and you have a faster falling and a more bottom hugging bait.

This 'bait' allows you to fish a TON of different styles or presentations and can littery be cast out and dead stick it for a min. or two and then simple take like 3-6 turns of the reel...let sit and repeat.......changinging speeds, retrieves and what ever you want to try doing.

Next you can simply rig the same bait 'wacky style' (hook through center of stick and cast and let it flutter down....hard pop and flutter back down....all the way back to shore.

Now if you want to ad a faster moving more of a 'cast and retrieve' type lure.
Get a couple of squarebill cranks, one that swims/dives down to like 3' and another that goes to like 3-6'.
Covers a lot of water, bounces off of wood, rock, laydowns and again you get fewer hang ups because when the lure hits structure, the nose backs the trebles 'kick up' and the lure body helps hid the trebs from snags........and BASS LOVE WHEN A LURE HITS SOMETHING AND DEFLECTS OFF!  ;) :)

Next get a 1/4 oz. and a 3/8th oz. jig.
Get some different style trailers, some with a lot of action and some with little action.

These can AGAIN be used so MANY DIFFERENT WAYS......crawl them on bottom. pop and hop them off bottom, SWIM THEM (no YOU DON'T NEED A SWIM JIG TO SWIM A JIG)

Any jig can be cast and swam back....if you decide swim jigging is something you like, LATER you can get swim jig specific jigs.

Again, these baits allow you to learn and experience different retrieves and 'styles' of fishing and later on after YOU find what you enjoy most.......then start stocking up.

TRUST ME, the more you have to toss.....THE LESS YOU'LL GIVE ANY INDIVIDUAL LURE TO ACTUALLY PROVE ITSELF to you.
You simply just simply keep switching lures untill some thing hits it and after 15-20mins of no further bites....you'll be simply be tempted to just switch baits.....AND YOU MAVE HAVE ALREADY HAD THE BEST LURE TIED ON.

You have a TON of water to fish.......and know idea of what, trees, vegetation, rock and maybe even depth you'll be able to reach and fish.....all three of the mentioned setups will allow you to 'LEARN' the waters you'll be fishing WHILE also likely to catch fish for you.

Last note, 'clips are fine' and real 'fine' for cranks.....but almost everything else 'CAN' usually work to it's fullest potential with a direct tie.

Oh and a SHOREBUST (bank fish) a TON!!!!!!!!!!!
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

apiazza

Quote from: analfisherman on June 18, 2018, 05:55:21 PM
Well my first thought is, instead of getting a lot of tackle and then wading through it........instead start by keeping it simple. (hope you anglers didn't have a heart attack when hearing this from ME)  ~roflmao

The whole KISS concept and Bass fishing IS NEVER HEARD IN MY POSTS!  ~roflmao ~roflmao

BUT, when your new and have a lot of different lures.....things seem to get confusing and you start 'thinking' lures are your answer......WHEN LEARNING the different ways to use individual lures is KEY to your having fun and lkearning every outting.......AND CATCHING FISH WHILE YOUR AT IT.

Sooooooo, my thoughts.
First get some 'Stick Baits', most thing of a stickbait as a Senko type worm.
Now this can be tossed easily TX rigged weightless....hook through the nose and brought back and then through the body up to the top and inbed the hook point.

This set up can then be tossed out and simple let slowly drop on it's own, fluttering slowly as it falls.
Once on bottom, simple 'snap' the rod and it will jump off bottom and then flutter back down.
VERY effective and a go to for MANY shorebusting anglers....as well as boaters.
It's weedless so it can go through grass, vegetation and often even slide over unknown wood without getting a ton of snags and crap coming back to shore.

Same set up can be tossed and fished like a fluke style bait and 'snapped' just below the surface or even on top of surface.....with varied pauses till you decide whats working BEST.

Now add a 1/16oz to a 1/8th or even a 3/8th or a 1/4, bullet head to the rig and you have a faster falling and a more bottom hugging bait.

This 'bait' allows you to fish a TON of different styles or presentations and can littery be cast out and dead stick it for a min. or two and then simple take like 3-6 turns of the reel...let sit and repeat.......changinging speeds, retrieves and what ever you want to try doing.

Next you can simply rig the same bait 'wacky style' (hook through center of stick and cast and let it flutter down....hard pop and flutter back down....all the way back to shore.

Now if you want to ad a faster moving more of a 'cast and retrieve' type lure.
Get a couple of squarebill cranks, one that swims/dives down to like 3' and another that goes to like 3-6'.
Covers a lot of water, bounces off of wood, rock, laydowns and again you get fewer hang ups because when the lure hits structure, the nose backs the trebles 'kick up' and the lure body helps hid the trebs from snags........and BASS LOVE WHEN A LURE HITS SOMETHING AND DEFLECTS OFF!  ;) :)

Next get a 1/4 oz. and a 3/8th oz. jig.
Get some different style trailers, some with a lot of action and some with little action.

These can AGAIN be used so MANY DIFFERENT WAYS......crawl them on bottom. pop and hop them off bottom, SWIM THEM (no YOU DON'T NEED A SWIM JIG TO SWIM A JIG)

Any jig can be cast and swam back....if you decide swim jigging is something you like, LATER you can get swim jig specific jigs.

Again, these baits allow you to learn and experience different retrieves and 'styles' of fishing and later on after YOU find what you enjoy most.......then start stocking up.

TRUST ME, the more you have to toss.....THE LESS YOU'LL GIVE ANY INDIVIDUAL LURE TO ACTUALLY PROVE ITSELF to you.
You simply just simply keep switching lures untill some thing hits it and after 15-20mins of no further bites....you'll be simply be tempted to just switch baits.....AND YOU MAVE HAVE ALREADY HAD THE BEST LURE TIED ON.

You have a TON of water to fish.......and know idea of what, trees, vegetation, rock and maybe even depth you'll be able to reach and fish.....all three of the mentioned setups will allow you to 'LEARN' the waters you'll be fishing WHILE also likely to catch fish for you.

Last note, 'clips are fine' and real 'fine' for cranks.....but almost everything else 'CAN' usually work to it's fullest potential with a direct tie.

Oh and a SHOREBUST (bank fish) a TON!!!!!!!!!!!
That's a lot of good information. Thank you very much.

redux

If you can get to that rip rap on the NE shore off Hodd Rd. (Sinsheim Rd. looks like the access is fenced off) I would want to throw shallow square bills and swim jigs. Probably white buzz baits in the morning too.
You can't win of you're not in.

1ReelFanatik

I am never without a spinnerbait, ribbontail worm, Rapala F11 and a shallow running squarebill.  If you want to catch some of those large bluegills and perch, then be sure to carry some smaller Beetlespins and Roostertails.  Hope you won't be disappointed if they also catch some nice bass.  My PB smallmouth was on a small Roostertail.

I hardly ever add a weight to the ribbontail.  Probably because I don't like removing the crap from it.  :)  Also it comes through the areas I normally fish with one much easier than if weighted down.

EDIT:  Junebug is my favorite color worm.

apiazza

Success! Though I cant actually take credit. Wife caught this guy on her Shakespeare amphibian kit. She wouldn't allow me to post the picture of her

Got it on a weightless rig with a 5.5" watermelon strike king stick on a 2/0 offset hook. I had an F9 on my spinner and 3/8 strike king spinnerbait on my baitcaster, but no luck for me.

SteelHorseCowboy

Awesome! Where'd you catch it at?

ItsJason

Nice catch!
For bank fishing at most I carry two rods, a ml spinning kit and a MH bait caster. Though, I often find myself using just one or the other. The ML for finesse fishing, the mh for everything else.
If its new water, fish something that you can keep moving fairly good, like a crank, chatterbait, spinner, or rubber swimbait. Once you find some fish, then experiment with stuff to find out what they really want.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

apiazza

Quote from: SteelHorseCowboy on June 26, 2018, 01:24:11 PM
Awesome! Where'd you catch it at?

Way off on the west edge of the lake. They consider the spot a boat ramp but it was really just a gravel bank. Made it easy to walk out and fish along some tree's shade in the mid day heat.