WEAR YOUR LIFE VESTS!!!!

Started by BassHOGS, June 13, 2018, 09:14:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BassHOGS

We see this all too often and for no reason at all...........people are drowning because they weren't wearing their PFD.  Just last weekend on Lake Blackshear, GA a kayaker wasn't wearing his PFD and drowned.  His wife nearly drowned trying to help him and she too was not wearing her PFD.  She even said that he wasn't a great swimmer.....even more reason to wear your PFD!!

Yes, sometimes those things are hot and uncomfortable but it beats the alternative folks!!!  Rant over!!

FISH ON!!!
Chad Everett Vicious Tournament Team
Team Ardent Pro Staff
Enigma Fishing Pro Staff WOO! Tungsten Pro Staff

Bud Kennedy

If I may add to this for the power boaters, USE YOUR KILL SWITCHES

BassHOGS

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on June 13, 2018, 09:48:44 AM

Great point as well......Thanks for adding that key point. 
Chad Everett Vicious Tournament Team
Team Ardent Pro Staff
Enigma Fishing Pro Staff WOO! Tungsten Pro Staff

Mike Cork

Great reminders guys ~c~ I get so lax this time of year. It's hot, I've been driving the same water for 20 years and I know every stump and bump in the boat roads. But a floater, another boat, or an idiot could change my plans for the day in a matter of seconds.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Pacific NW Ron

Great reminder to all of us.  Especially in kayaks, canoes and when under power in a power boat.  Anytime the motor is running and also anytime conditions get rough even if the big motor is shut down.
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

Captsteve

get an auto inflate. You don't hardly notice you have them on.
very comfortable, even on the hottest days.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Steve
Headed for the Lake

basss

Here here ...
1995 Gheenoe Highsider
2018 12' Bote HD Paddleboard

Donald Garner

BassHOGS

Tks for making this post.  This time of the year there's lots of people out on the water.  Most of them don't even know how important it is to wear that piece of equipment.

Quote from: Captsteve on June 13, 2018, 01:53:24 PM
very comfortable, even on the hottest days. Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Steve I'm with you on this one buddy.  I have one and Its on during the entire trip. 
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Lipripper

Thee isn't no way I would be out on a kayak without a PFD on at all times. I don't ware one in John's boat but I keep one out right by me just in case.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Smallie_Stalker

Great reminders!!!  ~c~

As I get older and my balance becomes less steady I have been considering wearing my inflatable PFD even while fishing from the bank. They say all it takes is 1 oz of water to drown. A quick slip of the foot or an unexpected roll down a hill, bang your head and even if you land just in the edge of the water................ just sayn'.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

D.W. Verts

I will not run my boat without my PFD on, and it's zipped AND buckled, too, with my kill switch attached. I see many YouTube videos (Scott Martin as an example) where it ain't happenin'. Folks, the bitch will bite when you least expect it. Complacency kills.
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Bassinkorea

It is Korean law to wear a life jacket at ALL times whilst in a boat, so I am already used to wearing one all day long. And I always connect my kill switch whilst running.

Great post, but sorry to hear someone had to lose their life just to remind the rest of us!
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

Oldfart9999

Quote from: Captsteve on June 13, 2018, 01:53:24 PM
very comfortable, even on the hottest days.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Great combo!!!
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Princeton_Man

Quote from: Bassinkorea on June 14, 2018, 02:10:06 AM
It is Korean law to wear a life jacket at ALL times whilst in a boat, so I am already used to wearing one all day long. And I always connect my kill switch whilst running.

Great post, but sorry to hear someone had to lose their life just to remind the rest of us!
It's not any different from seatbelts. I'm sure we'll eventually have a law requiring PFDs be worn and kill switches attached. Even then there will be those who feel they must die to remind us why.  ~b~
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Thornback

My routine is to place two auto-inflate PFD's in my truck the night before going fishing. When I launch the boat and park I get out the PFD's. Me and a partner will then put on the PFD's before we get into the boat. I do the same routine when fishing solo. Sad to hear a boater has drowned because they didn't invest a few bucks in a PFD or they owned a PFD but wouldn't wear it. Safety First when on the water. Water is a hostile environment -- you can walk on it and you can't breath under it.

D.W. Verts

I was on Lake of the Ozarks for a little while yesterday evening. About 7 PM the fishing and bass boats started coming out. I did not see ONE person wearing a PFD. And I'll bet that none of them had a kill switch in use either.

Really stupid. And they're takin' MY life in their hands if they don't have an ignition shut-off device in play. Just ignorant.
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

spetro

Princeton_Man

Quote from: spetro on November 25, 2018, 06:21:31 AM
Not good enough my buddy.  Do an auto inflatable IMHO v~

https://www.amazon.com/ABSOLUTE-OUTDOOR-Automatic-Manual-Inflatable/dp/B0032ALK36/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1543148590&sr=8-4&keywords=automatic+inflatable+life+vest
X2  ~c~
Having one next to your seat, it might as well be at the opposite end of the boat if there's an event that requires you to need it.

BPS and others puts those on sale every year for $79.

Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

TNDiver

Also need to check your state laws.  For those 12 and under, they are required in TN. Also required for anyone in a PWC, which to me makes complete sense.  Just bought a boat so I am looking up our regs and making sure my boat will be legal when we go out.  I too have seen too many videos of boat collisions because someone isn't paying attention or worse, drunk on the water.
There is nothing like sharing any moment outdoors with someone special!

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus