Confidence VS Cockiness

Started by D.W. Verts, June 14, 2018, 01:42:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D.W. Verts

There's a huge difference between being a confident angler, and being a cocky one. Some of the difference seems to come with age. But I wanted to make this point so that when you read a statement by someone here on the UB site that says something like "I do it this way because it's the best way", or Wizards' "I catch them all" you need to understand that these comments are about CONFIDENCE. Some of us older guys (and probably a few young 'uns too) have been there and done that enough so that we GET IT.

Unfortunately, some never will. But we have fun trying, right?

I've seen posts made on the UB site that could easily be misconstrued as ego-driven cockiness. But in reading deeper, and having followed some of these guys here for almost a year, I can say that I haven't seen one COCKY statement yet, unless it was for fun.

The interweb is so spooky. Folks can't see your face when you write. It's so easy to be taken wrong, and out of context. So if you read something that strikes you as a little off, weird, or downright ornery, take  a second and re-read that statement, and the ones before it. Sometimes it all comes together, because missing just one thread can change things entirely.

I hope I've made some sense here. And part of it is in self-defense. As possibly the finest bass angler on the interweb, if not the whole planet (would you believe Florence, MO?) I hope that ya'll take anything i write in the proper context, and forget as least some of the gruffness and matter-of-factness that comes with age, and having been there and done that.

Peace.
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Lipripper

You made good sense Dale and your right about the internet thinks are taken the wrong way all the time. Your also right about the members here and not being COCKY unless they are joking.  ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Oldfart9999

So you're saying cockiness can be bred from confidence as long as you can walk the talk?
RODNEY
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

D.W. Verts

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on June 14, 2018, 01:49:46 PM
So you're saying cockiness can be bred from confidence as long as you can walk the talk?
RODNEY

I guess. But in my opinion, cockiness, outside of foolin' around, is rude. I don't tolerate rude very well.

zippyduck

Being around here longer than Dale, I have seen some of this but through time and due diligence these guys are just confident and darn good sticks.
There are also the quiet guys that add their thoughts to tackle and techniques, who are outstanding sticks without the gloating.
Unfortunately I am neither of these. Just and average guy that fishes a lot.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Wizard

Sometimes you have to know something about a person to realize if they are cocky or just very, very good. Being good at something leads to confidence. I've only met a couple of UB members in real life. They are as good and confident as many elite anglers. I have a problem because I exude confidence but people don't know my background and understand why I'm a confident person.. If you aren't confident in yourself, it shows to others and to yourself. We talk fishing but in all aspects of life we should strive to be among the best.
Every decent angler can catch bass on a lure. The few that present the lure the best have a leg up on other anglers at their level. There is something that separates anglers at the top level. That is the ability to find bass. That isn't a secret but few put in the time to learn everything about what it takes to find bass. It takes time on the water, time reading on the subject, time learning local forage and movements, seasonal patterns, water conditions, forage spawns and insect hatchings, a multitude of things. And you never stop learning. So, older anglers who have put in the necessary time are confident. They are also very good.
I read a lot of the threads on UB. I have learned many things from many anglers on this site. Sometimes, I'll write something I've believed to be true for a long time. Then I read a statement that makes me wonder if I've made a mistake. One thing I never do is criticize someone's view or idea. I find that disrespectful and as I can make mistakes, I could be wrong. Sorry if I got a little off topic.

Wizard

Oldfart9999

I think that a lot of what we call cocky is done in fun, listen to the pros talking to each other, they do a fair amount of it as friends will but they also have earned it.
Wizard, I agree with you about learning from other posts and people, I have a for instance, I always used a leader with my braid and swore I was doing the correct thing. I was "challenged" by Bo to tie direct so I did, I won't bother with a leader except for my dropshot. I've changed how I do some of my techniques and I've learned different "tricks" that have helped me catch more fish. This is why I believe this is the best site around, I've a lot of confidence in my abilities, but I'm amazed at how much there is to be learned.
The other thing I've noticed is there are regional differences that are of value and it's a pleasure to learn them and the thinking behind them.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

D.W. Verts

I think you both are spot-on for what I'm trying to say.

coldfront

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on June 15, 2018, 06:17:54 AM
The other thing I've noticed is there are regional differences that are of value and it's a pleasure to learn them and the thinking behind them.
Rodney

agreed.  as an aside, how nice would it be to have posters put some kind of 'location' note on their avatar?  helps to figure out not WHERE they are fishing, but general regions and water types, etc

analfisherman

Well, just a thought, from the dullest hook in the tackle box.

Seeing I really don't UNDERSTAND even my own posts when reading them.......I certainly wouldn't expect anyone else to.  ::)

Confident yes.
Cocky.......maybe....BUT purely all in FUN.
Laughing is a BIG PART of my life......and laughing at myself brings more joy than anyone will ever realize!  lo

OVER THROUGH.........me NEVER!  lo

Sharing my thoughts/ideas.......ya, BUT I usually get right to the point and keep it short!! ~roflmao

Learning something new EVERY SINGLE DAY......even if it's simply viewing my own thoughts differently........A MUST or I consider the day WASTED.

CONFIDENTLY taking criticism.......most definitely....after all, I CAN'T FORCE SOMEONE TO BE RIGHT, it's simply an option I feel obligated to share.  8) ;D lo

THIS SITE PROVIDES ALL THAT FOR ME....and for that, I THANK YOU ALL! ~c~

When talking with people at the launch or on the bank while fishing I ALWAYS stress that what I say is STRICTLY just my opinion.....and they should come to UB website to understand what/how to do things better/differently from the BEST PROSTAFF in the COUNTRY....OK...WORLD.  ;) :)
There is NO ONE WAY to view ANYTHING......unless of course you follow my view point....it will save you A LOT of time listening to others and that time can be SPENT FISHING. 8) :)

I have learned so very much from this site.....AND THAT MEANS FROM YOU TOO DALE!! ;)  ;D
I consider the members FAMILY........and you don't have to like family ~shade....just respect and treat them as you yourself wish to be treated......after all, I HAVE FRIENDS I HAVEN'T EVEN USED YET....so untill I get caught up....FAMILY is all I need at the moment.

Dale good post and FAMILY...GREAT INPUT!

See how I keep things short and right to the point!  :)
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

Lee Smith

I'm usually confident when I get on the water, but never cocky, , , until the last bag is weighed  ~roflmao  ;)
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

big g

Over a long span of time, I have come to the conclusion that there is no one best way to catch fish on any given day.  There is only the technique you have confidence in, and that makes a big difference for ONLY YOU.  Someone else may have a totally different opinion on your technique and your style of fishing.  I fish with different people all the time, and with both of us fishing the same technique I would out fish them on most occasions.  Why, its all about confidence in the technique!  If I went to some other style of their choice that I don't use often, I'm sure the results would not be good for me.  Confidence is an important part of fishing success.  I don't do what others do just because they catch a few.  I do what I'm happy with, and feel comfortable with, considering the conditions, past experience, my strengths, and those intangible feelings.  Is that cocky, I don't think so. I think its confidence and personal enjoyment.  If I don't enjoy it I don't do it! :-*
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

coldfront

just a healthy dose of 'fake it till you make it'.

works ever once in a while.

(we ALL love beating those folks)

Lipripper

Quote from: big g on June 15, 2018, 10:46:41 AM
Over a long span of time, I have come to the conclusion that there is no one best way to catch fish on any given day.  There is only the technique you have confidence in, and that makes a big difference for ONLY YOU.  Someone else may have a totally different opinion on your technique and your style of fishing.  I fish with different people all the time, and with both of us fishing the same technique I would out fish them on most occasions.  Why, its all about confidence in the technique!  If I went to some other style of their choice that I don't use often, I'm sure the results would not be good for me.  Confidence is an important part of fishing success.  I don't do what others do just because they catch a few.  I do what I'm happy with, and feel comfortable with, considering the conditions, past experience, my strengths, and those intangible feelings.  Is that cocky, I don't think so. I think its confidence and personal enjoyment.  If I don't enjoy it I don't do it! :-*
Right on George and I agree with you. I might try what they are catching them on just to see if it works for me but won't try to make it work. I will go back to what I know works for me.  :)

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet