Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Story  (Read 252 times)

D.W. Verts

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
A Story
« on: June 14, 2018, 10:25:51 PM »

It was the early 80's, and my friend Guido Hibdon was just starting to make a name for himself in professional fishing. It was a typical summer deal- there was going to be a night buddy tournament on Lake of the Ozarks, and Guido and his partner were gonna fish it. And fish it they did.

As per usual, Gete and Jim brought in the ten fish limit that was allowed then, and most of the other anglers in the tournament knew that they had more than enough to win. Now views change over the years, but I re-hashed some of the facts with his partner of that night at Gete's funeral to make sure I had my story straight.

Apparently, as many as ten of their fellow competitors got together and filed a protest against Gete and Jim. The charge was "icing" their fish. Which they had done. As had most everybody else for that matter. It was hot, the water was very warm, and using ice to help keep the water temps down in the livewell was standard procedure in those days of those 12-hour, catch 'em and kill 'em marathons.

But wait- the "icing" rule was written to keep competitors from putting dead fish on ice to preserve them, and to keep their length. It never had anything to do with using ice to keep your fish alive. Not at all.

So the tournament director (who in my opinion was a real Richard Cranium, but that's neither here nor there as far as the story is concerned) had a dilemma on his hands. Almost two-hundred guys were fishing his fledgling series, and a fair number of them had filed protest.

So Gete and Jim were DQ'd.

Several folks plead Gete's case, and even after the disqualification, the tournament director was asked to please make a public retraction, and to keep it on the down-low as much as possible. Which he actually did.

You see, my ol' buddy Gete's career was just taking off. He was being eyed by serious sponsors including Ranger boats and Evinrude outboards. In those days cheating was pretty rampant, and getting caught could very well be the end of a career.

Well, now you've heard the story, and you know how it all turned out. And if you don't, you need to.

There's more, but that's enough for now. Peace.
I'm just lookin' for clues at the scene of the crime...

Wizard

• Charter Member
  • Deep water angler on highland lakes
Re: A Story
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 11:18:25 PM »

I fished a few of those tournaments and cheating was common among a small group of guys. They were eventually banned. Two brothers who staked bass were caught by competitors and had a hospital visit. Gete was respected and I never heard anyone talk about him without awe for his skill and the fact he was a gentleman. After 1978 my tournaments dropped to zero as my career in federal service advanced. There just wasn't enough money in fishing at that time to make a living and have a family.

Wizard

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 05:58:10 AM »

Thanks for the story Dale, it's good to know the stories behind the greats!!! Hibdon was one of my heros and I learned from him!!!
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

zippyduck

• Charter Member
  • Daiwa, LSCR, Dobyns, Nutech, Keitech, Yamamoto
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 11:18:25 AM »

Dale,

Keep them coming. Our history is important to remember.
Thank you sir.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"

Lipripper

• LM Forum Staff
  • Chicago Illinois
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 01:05:50 PM »

Thanks for the behind the story look Dale and love to know what happened.  ~c~ ~c~ I guess back then they didn't have as good a live well system as we have today or the other advances to keep the fish alive in the live wells like we have today.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

D.W. Verts

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 03:06:09 PM »

Well Jerry, livewells HAVE came a long way. But it was the ten fish limit and 12 hour enduros combined that was so hard on the fish. Not to mention even in those days the fish would take a beating on our little inland ocean.
I'm just lookin' for clues at the scene of the crime...

Lipripper

• LM Forum Staff
  • Chicago Illinois
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 08:38:24 PM »

Well Jerry, livewells HAVE came a long way. But it was the ten fish limit and 12 hour enduros combined that was so hard on the fish. Not to mention even in those days the fish would take a beating on our little inland ocean.
I could see where 12 hours in a little livewell would be ruff on a fish use to a big lake.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 24 queries.