Replacing batteries in my reservoir boat

Started by Kris, June 15, 2018, 09:33:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kris

I think the life of my present batteries is declining rapidly so it's time to replace. Presently running a combination of Trojan SCS-225 (30H) and Deka Marine Master (29). I am really happy with the batteries since this would be their eighth season in a boat. These are all 12v batteries at this point.
I have been seriously thinking about changing the bow mount, Minn Kota Edge 55, to two 6v golf cart batteries to test it out. I tend to run on the bow mount a lot and only use the 24v stern motor, Minn Kota Traxxis 70,  for moving place to place or the other side of the water. Since it is 24v it would require four of the batteries and I have always tried to keep the weight down in the boat. I am thinking about two sets of 12v batteries so I can have enough energy to get the boat back to the launch. I already use Anderson Power Pole connectors for ease of storing the stern motor so each set would have them and I can switch to the other on return trip if necessary. This is only needed most of the time at Rocky Gorge when I go above the 29 bridge or other long run.
I want to change the the cables running from the back of the boat to the bow motor. Presently it's 8 gauge wire with which I am having no problems. The stern motor connections are so short that I don't need to change them.
Interested in comments and suggestions from my fellow Maryland reservoir fishermen. What do you think?
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

jyu87

Kris,

Go get group 31 Duracell Marine AGM at Sams Club. Price is great and they are amazing. Never had any issues with them. They are the same Deka battery, just repacked and sold at Sams Club.

Thank me later
2018 Tracker 190TX
Mercury 115 ProXS
Lowrance HDS 12 & 9 Gen3

Kris

Truthfully, I'm a bit leery on AGM batteries for my boat. I use lead acid batteries and know I have had to fill these batteries a lot. I don't think I would put a sealed battery in it. I am looking at going with golf cart 12v batteries to get a bit more power out of them. Eventually I will probably switch the two 12v batteries for the bow mount over to the second set for the stern motor. Looking at battery ratings I have found my first possible replacements from US Battery. They are a bit bigger than Group 31 batteries and the numbers are higher. Thanks for the input and I will check out the price on those at Sam's Club. I'd have to find someone who is a member though.
BTW, I even bought one of the old style battery filler bottle to make topping them up easier.
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

WTodd

I just replaced my cranking battery (Interstate Group 27 I think) with an Ever Start Maxx at Walmart.  A lot of the "marine" cranking batteries have terrible warranties; about 1 year.  The Ever Start Maxx is 5 yrs with the first 3 yrs full replacement and a cranking battery is a cranking battery regardless of what it's cranking. And the Ever Start was a lot less expensive.

Bstandiford

Hi Kris! I did go with the AGM batteries in my reservoir boat! I have them for my 24 volt Ultrex trolling motor and a separate 12 volt Agm battery ( all group 31) for my electronics and no issues whatsoever. I like the quick charging as well as no maintenance with these batteries! For my main motor I went with the Relion 100 amp hour batteries for 60 volts to power the Ray motor.

jyu87

Quote from: Bstandiford on June 18, 2018, 08:23:08 PM
Hi Kris! I did go with the AGM batteries in my reservoir boat! I have them for my 24 volt Ultrex trolling motor and a separate 12 volt Agm battery ( all group 31) for my electronics and no issues whatsoever. I like the quick charging as well as no maintenance with these batteries! For my main motor I went with the Relion 100 amp hour batteries for 60 volts to power the Ray motor.

Nice setup!
2018 Tracker 190TX
Mercury 115 ProXS
Lowrance HDS 12 & 9 Gen3