Big fish 120 is here!

Started by Stren_g, June 15, 2018, 02:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stren_g

I'm pretty darn excited!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Capt. BassinLou

Stren_g

I have to work tomorrow, so I'll have to wait until Sunday to put it on the water.

analfisherman

NICE LOOKING KAYAK MY FRIEND!!!!!!!!
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

Lipripper

Looks good and hope you catch lots of fish from it.  ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Stren_g

First trip out was great! No big bass, but I got a solid case of bass thumb from the numerous little guys. For anyone thinking about a kayak, I'd highly suggest this one. I could easily fish standing up.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Stren_g on June 17, 2018, 11:35:51 AM
First trip out was great! No big bass, but I got a solid case of bass thumb from the numerous little guys. For anyone thinking about a kayak, I'd highly suggest this one. I could easily fish standing up.

Receiving bass thumb is the best way to break in that yak. Well done!!

basss

Quote from: Stren_g on June 17, 2018, 11:35:51 AM

Whoo Hoo ... speaking of fishing standing up ... I ordered a Bote HD SUP.  Like the way I can sneak up on fish with it.
1995 Gheenoe Highsider
2018 12' Bote HD Paddleboard

Stren_g

These things are awesome, and way more affordable than a boat. Getting off the bank is a game changer!

basss

Quote from: Stren_g on June 19, 2018, 11:51:04 AM
Getting off the bank is a game changer!

Even 100 ft off the bank changes things.

Am amazed at how quiet the boards are over engines based boats, I've scared so many fish paddling up to them.
1995 Gheenoe Highsider
2018 12' Bote HD Paddleboard

the_huber_show

Oh I like!  I have been looking at these
Fishbrain: The_Huber_Show

Stren_g

I'll recommend this thing all day long! It does everything I need it to. I will be adding a rudder and anchor trolley soon as it does like to weather cock a bit... and the wind seems to always be blowing here.

gtrpickr

Nice kayak,
I have been researching kayaks and that big fish 120 seems to be a really good one. I would like to get into kayak fishing myself just gotta find the best bang for my budget.

the_huber_show

Quote from: gtrpickr on July 11, 2018, 11:14:56 PM
Nice kayak,
I have been researching kayaks and that big fish 120 seems to be a really good one. I would like to get into kayak fishing myself just gotta find the best bang for my budget.

I would suggest looking to see if any place around you rents them.  I just did that last Saturday.  We rented canoes and I got a kayak to fish a local river that people float.

Stren_g

I agree with Huber, and I would have done just that if there was anyone reasonably close that had anything other than Jacksons. I couldn't afford those so I didn't even want to look at them lol What I did was  a lot of reading and watching folks on the youtube. I got an Idea of what style and features I'd use and those that I likely wouldn't want. For the money the BF120 is a good deal. So far its been trouble free, and its stable enough that I felt comfortable on it during my first outing.

gtrpickr

I havent seen anyplace close to me that rents kayaks that you could fish out of. The closest place I seen was about an hour and a half away and they rented canoes and recreational kayaks.
It would be nice if there was a place close by.

Princeton_Man

Quote from: gtrpickr on July 12, 2018, 11:58:32 PM
I havent seen anyplace close to me that rents kayaks that you could fish out of. The closest place I seen was about an hour and a half away and they rented canoes and recreational kayaks.
It would be nice if there was a place close by.
We have a place not far from me in North Tazwell, VA called MEFCOR Outdoors, they have Demo Weekends from time to time. They take a big truckload of their various yaks and gear out to reservoir for folks to try. I'm really surprised more places don't do that. If you're ever up this way, you can schedule a demo of things they have that you're interested in.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

the_huber_show

Quote from: Princeton_Man on July 13, 2018, 08:47:39 AM
We have a place not far from me in North Tazwell, VA called MEFCOR Outdoors, they have Demo Weekends from time to time. They take a big truckload of their various yaks and gear out to reservoir for folks to try. I'm really surprised more places don't do that. If you're ever up this way, you can schedule a demo of things they have that you're interested in.

Oh man that sounds amazing!!!  I would drive a hour or two for something like that forsure

Stren_g

Check various Kayak manufacturers websites for dealers and call em up. Some may be willing to help ya with a demo. I rolled the dice on this one and got lucky.

the_huber_show

Quote from: Stren_g on July 13, 2018, 04:29:15 PM
Check various Kayak manufacturers websites for dealers and call em up. Some may be willing to help ya with a demo. I rolled the dice on this one and got lucky.

That's a good idea!  I pretty much have mine narrowed down to a couple. 

Stren_g

What I did was first set a budget, then a style, then specific features. I then went hunting for models that fit my criteria from several brands. I made a list and started reading/watching reviews. The whole process took me probably between two and three months before I pulled the trigger.

the_huber_show

I have done something similar.  It started with the fishing day on a rented one.  I got to see what I like and don't like.  Features I could see wanting and options for the future.  I don't want to buy one that in a year I out grow/can't customize to my liking.  Now it's just a matter of looking at them in store and pulling the trigger. 

Also have to look into the extra items like paddles and the roof rack to haul on my car.

Stren_g

I ordered mine online from a company in TX and got a package deal with the paddle, pfd, and the kayak. It came out cheaper that way. Shipping to my door was $30.

the_huber_show

Oh really?  Once I figure out the one I will have to see what I can find.  Thanks for the heads up!

Stren_g

yep, and wait for any type of holliday... they have sales on pretty much every one!