Close but Still no six pounder this year.

Started by Pacific NW Ron, June 16, 2018, 10:35:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacific NW Ron

Went out yesterday for a serious attempt at my first 6 pounder of the year.  Launched at around 7am with temp at 52 and glass flat water.  Water was a little clearer than it has been and still at 67 degrees. 
A little about this lake.  It's a shallow 75 acre lake with the deepest part at 10 feet at normal water level.  There are pads around two sides of the lake, fairly open water with scattered brush piles on one side and some submerged wood on one side that is normally under one of the floating  islands and we can't fish it. 
Yes this lake also has several floating islands.  These are not just thick mats but actual islands.  There are even trees growing on them.  These islands move around the lake depending on the wind.
Now back to my day of fishing.  Today I notice that the islands that normally cover  the submerged wood have moved and exposed the wood.  I know I'm going to fish the wood so I fish the pads working towards the area with wood catching a few small 10" fish along the way, but still nothing big.   When I reach the wooded area I start catching a few bigger fish 12" to 15" but still nothing big.  For some reason today when I'm fishing the wood I'm getting hung up a lot.  By noon I've probably caught 20 of these smaller bass when I had a bite, set the hook and it was solid.  This had happened several times already and  I thought crap hung up again.   Then when I let some slack in the line it took off to the left and away from me pulling drag.  At this point I knew I wasn't hung up.  Sticks and Logs don't do that.  After a nice fight I finally got her in the boat, but still short of 6 pounds at 5.32lb.  This was probably the strongest fighting 5lber I've ever caught.
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

Wizard

No big bass? Lou, you've got to leave Florida and go someplace with big bass. All the big Florida bass have been eaten by gators, Burmese pythons, anaconda, feral hogs, snakeheads and the Florida Skunk Ape. Plus, the aliens around Eglin air base have acquired a taste for bass as well as blondes.

Wizard

D.W. Verts

You're gettin' some nice ones Ron... I know I take it for granted when I YAWN over 5-6 pounders. I definitely know I take it for granted when I don't have time to fish.

Keep it up, sir. Maybe you'll dunk a 7...
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Wizard on June 16, 2018, 11:31:39 AM
No big bass? Lou, you've got to leave Florida and go someplace with big bass. All the big Florida bass have been eaten by gators, Burmese pythons, anaconda, feral hogs, snakeheads and the Florida Skunk Ape. Plus, the aliens around Eglin air base have acquired a taste for bass as well as blondes.

Wizard

:-\ ... Wizard, I need your help, what does this post have to do with Ron's fish?

Lipripper

Thanks for the report Ron and nice looking Bass.  ~c~ ~c~ Keep at it and sooner or later you will get one over six pounds.  ~bb

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Pacific NW Ron

Quote from: Lipripper on June 16, 2018, 01:41:27 PM
Thanks for the report Ron and nice looking Bass.  ~c~ ~c~ Keep at it and sooner or later you will get one over six pounds.  ~bb
Last year by mid June I had two over six.  Struggling to get one this year so far.
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

Pacific NW Ron

Quote from: D.W. Verts on June 16, 2018, 12:52:20 PM
You're gettin' some nice ones Ron... I know I take it for granted when I YAWN over 5-6 pounders. I definitely know I take it for granted when I don't have time to fish.

Keep it up, sir. Maybe you'll dunk a 7...
I's love to get a 7 up here, but for now I'd like a 6.  Biggest one up here for me so far is a 6.5lb.  Last year by mid June I had a couple over 6.

Lipripper

Quote from: Pacific NW Ron on June 16, 2018, 02:45:19 PM
I's love to get a 7 up here, but for now I'd like a 6.  Biggest one up here for me so far is a 6.5lb.  Last year by mid June I had a couple over 6.
That was last year and this is this year so just do your best and it will happen when it happens.  ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Donald Garner

Ron, congrats on the catch that's a great catch there  ~shade  Tks for sharing the trip and pictures with us also.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

coldfront

Quote from: Pacific NW Ron on June 16, 2018, 02:45:19 PM

know you have those big fish up there.  Still, a 5+ is special for your waters (I think?)

I understand, though.  a goal is a goal and something to keep after.

good luck and can't wait for the pics!

in portland tomorrow on business.  so at least 'IN' the neighborhood this coming week.

Pacific NW Ron

Quote from: coldfront on June 16, 2018, 05:55:38 PM
know you have those big fish up there.  Still, a 5+ is special for your waters (I think?)

I understand, though.  a goal is a goal and something to keep after.

good luck and can't wait for the pics!

in portland tomorrow on business.  so at least 'IN' the neighborhood this coming week.
Yes, in general a 5lber up here is a respectable fish.
Looks like you might have a good weather week in Portland next week, although it can be much different than we have.  Several hundred miles away.  I'm about 70 miles North of Seattle.

Wizard

Lou, I took some meds before I sat at the computer. I either had an out of body experience or was abducted by aliens. I probably shouldn't have chased them down with Jack Daniels.

Wizard

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Wizard on June 17, 2018, 11:17:58 AM
Lou, I took some meds before I sat at the computer. I either had an out of body experience or was abducted by aliens. I probably shouldn't have chased them down with Jack Daniels.

Wizard
It's all good Wizard. :)

Pacific NW Ron

Quote from: Wizard on June 17, 2018, 11:17:58 AM

Wizard
It must have been the mix of meds and jack that did it?

BarryFL

Quote from: Wizard on June 16, 2018, 11:31:39 AM

Wizard
That is one of the funniest UB post I have ever read.

For the record you're not that far off. Everyone thinks 10 lb bass are just swimming around waiting to be caught in Florida. I will counter with, while there are plenty of big ones, they get extreme pressure and are quite finicky dependent on water conditions and weather.

-Barry-

~Barry~

basss

That's bigger than the one I caught so kudos to you.
1995 Gheenoe Highsider
2018 12' Bote HD Paddleboard

cport

Quote from: Pacific NW Ron on June 16, 2018, 02:42:13 PM
Last year by mid June I had two over six.  Struggling to get one this year so far.
Way to go Ron! I deal with those floating islands as well here in Orange Lake; the reason they have them here is a giant sinkhole opened and practically drained the lake. They plugged the hole (they even put an old car in it and cement!) and the lake refilled after some time; when that happened, these huge swaths of vegetation along with earth detached and became floating islands, some complete with trees and wildlife. They blow all around, and at times will block boat launches and a creek (Cross Creek, where Marjorie K Rawlins lived when she wrote "The Yearling") that connects Orange Lake with Lake Lochloosa. I'm curious as to whether or not you know if that lake went through an extended dry spell?
11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

the_huber_show

Congrats!  May not be 6lbs but she was a beauty
Fishbrain: The_Huber_Show