Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lew Combo  (Read 412 times)

the_huber_show

• Charter Member
  • Skunk Master
Lew Combo
« on: June 18, 2018, 04:29:30 PM »

So I have been researching/price shopping for sometime now. 

Little bit of back story....I fished with a baitcaster in my younger teen years but got out of fishing.  I am looking at getting a baitcaster again.  It needs to be a all around rod/reel.  I am not at the level where I am going to have multiple rods/reels for specific approaches. 

I have narrowed down my selection to Lews.  I like they are based in Missouri and by what I have seen quality wise you can't go wrong.

I'm leaning towards the American Hero Camo or the Mach 1.  I guess my biggest question is this...with me being inexperienced will I notice a different between the two on performance? 

American Hero Cam $70
Mach 1 $140

At double the price is it going to be worth it for me?

I am open to everyone's advice!
Fishbrain: The_Huber_Show

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
  • Get the Net it's a Hawg
    • Ultimate Bass
Re: Lew Combo
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 05:11:34 PM »

Both reels are on a graphite frame which really sux. It will flex and cause issues.

Now the Mach I has a higher bearing count, however a lot of that's false advertisement IMO. 4 of the bearings are probably in the figure holds of the reel handle. In this price range of reels, those bearings do nothing but drive up the cost of the reel.

You will see some performance increases because of a better spool and probably better tolerances. I don't know the entire Lews line of reels. They make some that I like, but the majority I would tell you to steer clear of. If I had the cash, I'd definitely go with the Mach I between these two.

However, for quality, longevity, and performance I'd look at a Shimano Citica. Finding a combo for $140 probably won't happen with Shimano but the Citica can be had for $120ish and it puts you in a reel that will last a lifetime.

The two reels you're looking at now will have thumb bar issues in 1-3 years depending on how much you use it. It's a cheap fix but just something you will have to deal with. Lews has excellent Customer Service  ~c~ ~c~

Dig through the Lews line up and find where they start in on Aluminum frames, those are the ones that won't let you down  :-*
Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

LgMouthGambler

• Ultimate Basser
  • Shimano, Daiwa, HawgTech, Dobyns, LSCR, Megabass
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 08:08:04 PM »

If you are willing to spend $150 on a combo, you can get a Lews Speed Spool LFS, and a 13 Defy rod for about the same. Most retailers on the bay have the Speed Spool for about $73 shipped (PM me if you need info). The Defy rod is $60 almost everywhere. This way you have the Lews reel, which has an aluminum frame, and a better rod.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

the_huber_show

• Charter Member
  • Skunk Master
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 10:21:54 AM »

Both reels are on a graphite frame which really sux. It will flex and cause issues.

Now the Mach I has a higher bearing count, however a lot of that's false advertisement IMO. 4 of the bearings are probably in the figure holds of the reel handle. In this price range of reels, those bearings do nothing but drive up the cost of the reel.

You will see some performance increases because of a better spool and probably better tolerances. I don't know the entire Lews line of reels. They make some that I like, but the majority I would tell you to steer clear of. If I had the cash, I'd definitely go with the Mach I between these two.

However, for quality, longevity, and performance I'd look at a Shimano Citica. Finding a combo for $140 probably won't happen with Shimano but the Citica can be had for $120ish and it puts you in a reel that will last a lifetime.

The two reels you're looking at now will have thumb bar issues in 1-3 years depending on how much you use it. It's a cheap fix but just something you will have to deal with. Lews has excellent Customer Service  ~c~ ~c~

Dig through the Lews line up and find where they start in on Aluminum frames, those are the ones that won't let you down  :-*

I will do a little digging to see what I can find.  I will also take a look at the Citica

If you are willing to spend $150 on a combo, you can get a Lews Speed Spool LFS, and a 13 Defy rod for about the same. Most retailers on the bay have the Speed Spool for about $73 shipped (PM me if you need info). The Defy rod is $60 almost everywhere. This way you have the Lews reel, which has an aluminum frame, and a better rod.

<")))>{

Appreciate the info/help.  I will take a look at these too!

RuddyDuck

• Smallmouth
  • What, not another HammerHandle!
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 08:26:47 AM »

I would definitely go for a Lews LFS and then figure out a rod from there to keep you on budget. Lews Mach Speed sticks go for $80 retail.  The Aluminum framed reels are much better than the graphite ones. Problem is you don't know this until you have one and then go back to a graphite one! :) Lots more flex and noise. Not that you can't catch fish with them.

If your not stuck on Lews, the Daiwa Fuego CT is a decent reel for under $100 on sale. I got one this year and its been decent so far.  Good luck.
Dan

the_huber_show

• Charter Member
  • Skunk Master
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 03:16:25 PM »

I would definitely go for a Lews LFS and then figure out a rod from there to keep you on budget. Lews Mach Speed sticks go for $80 retail.  The Aluminum framed reels are much better than the graphite ones. Problem is you don't know this until you have one and then go back to a graphite one! :) Lots more flex and noise. Not that you can't catch fish with them.

If your not stuck on Lews, the Daiwa Fuego CT is a decent reel for under $100 on sale. I got one this year and its been decent so far.  Good luck.

That definitely makes sense.  I will check out the Fuego.  Thanks for the reply

the_huber_show

• Charter Member
  • Skunk Master
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 11:29:18 AM »

Ended up getting the Lew's American Hero simply because of the dollar amount.  I was leaning towards the Blue Carbon but they only had left hand retrieve in stock. 

I will probably end up replacing the rod in the future. 

This will at least get me back to learning a baitcaster again and I can build from there.

Spooled it with some 30lb braid with mono backing

LgMouthGambler

• Ultimate Basser
  • Shimano, Daiwa, HawgTech, Dobyns, LSCR, Megabass
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2018, 11:34:30 AM »

Thats pretty neat. Its got the textured knobs and thumb bar like my Super Duty LFS G.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

the_huber_show

• Charter Member
  • Skunk Master
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2018, 11:36:04 AM »

Thats pretty neat. Its got the textured knobs and thumb bar like my Super Duty LFS G.

<")))>{

Ya I really like the knobs on it.  I am hoping to break it in this weekend some.

basss

• Charter Member
  • Just one more cast ....
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2018, 03:16:26 PM »

That'll get 'er done.

Don't forget to fine tune it to your lures before casting, it will help with backlashes as you're getting back into bait casting.
90' Tracker Pro Deep-V 16, 90' 40 hp Johnson, 55# Minkota
1995 Gheenoe Highsider, 9.8 Tohatsu, 30# Endura
Shared- 7" Helix Si and Di

the_huber_show

• Charter Member
  • Skunk Master
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2018, 10:42:01 AM »

That'll get 'er done.

Don't forget to fine tune it to your lures before casting, it will help with backlashes as you're getting back into bait casting.

Yes I plan on taking it out this weekend and trying to get the brake system set to a decent spot for me. 

I have a fishing trip planned next weekend so I want it to be ready to go for that :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 23 queries.