Fluke Colors for FL

Started by FlatsNBay, June 19, 2018, 07:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlatsNBay

Rick's post about catching them on the fluke got me thinking, what are your go to colors for fluke fishing in FL? For me, white when the water is dark, black with gold flake for dark but clear water, watermelon for super clear water.

WTodd

Watermelon red & Baby Bass are 1 & 2

Edit: if you're using braid a fluoro leader will help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SFL BassHunter

Sungill
White
Black w Gold Flake
Baby Bass
Watermelon Red

Most of the waters I fish are clear. So color really depends which bag I take with me.
Today I happened to have baby bass and sungill and sungill got bites.
On Sunday I had the same two colors different place but clear water as well. Baby bass got it done.

PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

cport

Watermelon red flake
Pumpkinseed
Baby bass
White at Orange Lake

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

big g

Watermelon red, and watermelon magic, got us on the pattern at Lox the other day, and it got crazy for a while.  Watermelon anything has been great for years on all plastics in south Florida.
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

BarryFL

From clear to dark water:

Glimmer Blue
Albino shad
Bait fish
Watermelon pro blue
Tilapia
Green pumpkin
Black blue

Most colors I have to order. Prefer Zoom but also use Bitters.

I never Texas rig. If I weight I use a shank weighted hook so they sink naturally, not nose dive. Also, the nose weight affects the side to side action.

Always use a 15lb flouro leader, more important when it's a finesse bite.

4/0 owners short shank wide gap driver point or gamakatsu skip hook.

Y'all are slowly getting all my secrets.

-Barry-

~Barry~

FlatsNBay

Great tips from Barry the Flukemaster. If you can't find the color that you are looking for, I've found that Landbigfish carries all of the Zoom colors in production and even a few special run colors every once in a while.

WTodd

Quote from: TR21PDCTampa on June 20, 2018, 05:24:23 AM

Y'all are slowly getting all my secrets.

-Barry-

Just don't let them in on the "where"

BarryFL

EBay is good for discontinued or limited edition colors but you have to buy in bulk to get a good deal.

-Barry-

~Barry~

LgMouthGambler

White, silver/black, silver, pearl, watermelon, watermelon gold, black/gold, black, purple, red shad, blue/black. To name a few.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

BarryFL

When they're in chasing shad feeding frenzy, they will hit pink with orange polka dots. For the first time in a long time last Saturday, hooked fish had numerous followers trying to take the bait out of their mouths. I've rarely seen it where I fish.

Color really only matters when it becomes a finesse bite or resident fish locked onto structure.

This guy on eBay has the best selection of colors and I believe he has some association with Zoom. Not the best prices per say but some unique colors for sure. These have my interest...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ZOOM-Salty-Super-Fluke-10cnt-023-116-Motoroil-2-PCKS/361989098169?hash=item54483b4ab9:g:80cAAOSwCU1Yy~jV
~Barry~

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: FlatsNBay on June 20, 2018, 02:51:40 PM
Great tips from Barry the Flukemaster. If you can't find the color that you are looking for, I've found that Landbigfish carries all of the Zoom colors in production and even a few special run colors every once in a while.

Good to know! Thanks.

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on June 20, 2018, 06:13:58 PM
White, silver/black, silver, pearl, watermelon, watermelon gold, black/gold, black, purple, red shad, blue/black. To name a few.
<")))>{

Could have just said, "all of them". Would have been faster. lol
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: TR21PDCTampa on June 20, 2018, 06:27:11 PM
When they're in chasing shad feeding frenzy, they will hit pink with orange polka dots. For the first time in a long time last Saturday, hooked fish had numerous followers trying to take the bait out of their mouths. I've rarely seen it where I fish.

Color really only matters when it becomes a finesse bite or resident fish locked onto structure.

This guy on eBay has the best selection of colors and I believe he has some association with Zoom. Not the best prices per say but some unique colors for sure. These have my interest...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ZOOM-Salty-Super-Fluke-10cnt-023-116-Motoroil-2-PCKS/361989098169?hash=item54483b4ab9:g:80cAAOSwCU1Yy~jV

The lake Lou and I fish regularly from the bank is a finesse bite 75% of the time. They get in these moods. Then again it is a public park and heavily fished.
Florida Bass Fishing

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: SFL BassHunter on June 21, 2018, 12:35:04 PM
The lake Lou and I fish regularly from the bank is a finesse bite 75% of the time. They get in these moods. Then again it is a public park and heavily fished.

Moods is an understatement. The fish are on a food strike!!  ~rant ~xyz ....  lo

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: Bassinlou on June 21, 2018, 12:38:04 PM
Moods is an understatement. The fish are on a food strike!!  ~rant ~xyz ....  lo

You know it.
Florida Bass Fishing

BarryFL

Those finicky fish have to eat. What color and what presentation on a given day is the question. If they're heavily pressured, you have to show them something they haven't seen. That's what some of the more exotic colors I use do.

-Barry-

~Barry~

SFL BassHunter

I haven't done well with exotic colors. The lake is crystal clear water. Exotic colors can be seen from a mile away. I don't think these fish like them. lol
Florida Bass Fishing

BarryFL

When I say exotic I don't mean bright, I mean something like white with the violet flake.

-Barry-

~Barry~

rchiuz

Watermelon
White

I find watermelon is so hard to find at basspro. I always have to order it online

What is the worst thing about being a bank fisher? Always having to watch out for dog poop LOL

big g

Quote from: rchiuz on June 22, 2018, 07:22:40 AM
Watermelon
White

I find watermelon is so hard to find at basspro. I always have to order it online

Go to the Dania Store they have loads of watermelon
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

WTodd

Watermelon red is usually in stock at Walmart

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: rchiuz on June 22, 2018, 07:22:40 AM
Watermelon
White

Walmart...  ~shhh ~shhh

WTodd

Oops......damn gave up another secret

SFL BassHunter

WTodd it's only a secret when no one knows lol.
Florida Bass Fishing

FlatsNBay

I've found that not many companies make a black and gold fluke anymore. That color used to be very popular. I think that it's a great wild shiner imatation.