Emergency Position-Indicating Radio Beacon

Started by FloridaFishinFool, June 21, 2018, 09:05:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FloridaFishinFool

I post this as an FYI for all Florida boaters. This was something I was not aware of until I renewed my boat registration... the following was found at lower right hand corner of the registration renewal notice I received in the mail.

"Effective July 1, 2017, a person who owns a recreational vessel equipped with an emergency position-indicating radio beacon or who owns a personal locater beacon may be eligible to receive a fee reduction when applying for an original or renewal vessel registration at their local tax collector or license plate agent office. Visit www.flhsmv.gov for more information."
Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!

Capt. BassinLou

Thank you for the information FFF, interesting indeed. Click here ------> EPIRB to read how this works.

Capt. BassinLou

Looking at the cost of a cheap EPIRB and what the DMV is offering in discounts. It will take about 40yrs of yearly savings to make up the cost to pay off the cost of the EPIRB. Is that really a savings?

Lipripper

Quote from: Bassinlou on June 21, 2018, 10:41:55 AM
Looking at the cost of a cheap EPIRB and what the DMV is offering in discounts. It will take about 40yrs of yearly savings to make up the cost to pay off the cost of the EPIRB. Is that really a savings?
Lou that sounds like just about the same thing as them trying to get us old guys to buy a lifetime fishing licence for $435 when a Resident Senior Fishing License only cost me $7.75. It just wouldn't be worth it for me .

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Lipripper on June 21, 2018, 11:16:41 AM
Lou that sounds like just about the same thing as them trying to get us old guys to buy a lifetime fishing licence for $435 when a Resident Senior Fishing License only cost me $7.75. It just wouldn't be worth it for me .
Wait... you still have to pay for a Fishing License Lip? Dang... after 65 here in FL individuals do not need to purchase a fishing license. 

Lipripper

Quote from: Bassinlou on June 21, 2018, 11:19:54 AM
Wait... you still have to pay for a Fishing License Lip? Dang... after 65 here in FL individuals do not need to purchase a fishing license.
Yelp this is Illinois but at least thaey give us old folks a discount on them.  ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

big g

If I were fishing the ocean or gulf an EPERB would be a must regardless of cost.  But just fresh water I think ts a waste of money.  I have been all over Okeechobee, and the Everglades, and always had cell phone coverage, especially the last ten years.
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: big g on June 22, 2018, 02:42:30 PM
If I were fishing the ocean or gulf an EPERB would be a must regardless of cost.  But just fresh water I think ts a waste of money.  I have been all over Okeechobee, and the Everglades, and always had cell phone coverage, especially the last ten years.

Ocean and back country waters like Flamingo, its a definite must to have a EPIRB with a BOAT US membership as well. Those tows can be expensive!!

FD

Quote from: Bassinlou on June 22, 2018, 04:40:43 PM
Ocean and back country waters like Flamingo, its a definite must to have a EPIRB with a BOAT US membership as well. Those tows can be expensive!!
I have a freshwater BOAT US membership that includes trailer towing assistance. Not that expensive when you look at the cost of one tow.

swim/bike/run....repeat

Sent from the end of the paved road.....
Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

Deadeye

My boat insurance through Progressive has boat towing included.

I edited this to say I meant On The Water Boat Towing included. I priced around when I got insurance and Progressive was the best deal going. It's like $350.00 a year and that covers my Boat/Motor/Gear/Accessories. 

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: FD on June 23, 2018, 12:27:55 AM
I have a freshwater BOAT US membership that includes trailer towing assistance. Not that expensive when you look at the cost of one tow.

swim/bike/run....repeat

Sent from the end of the paved road.....

I hear you Lee. I have the membership as well. For $100 a year, its worth the coverage in the event something happens.