CHEAP Rod Protection

Started by D.W. Verts, June 24, 2018, 08:52:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D.W. Verts

Gary Dobyns recently made a post about seeing fishin' rods being abused as they went down the highway in a boat, buzzbait a clankin' away on them. And I got to thinkin'.

Dangerous, I know.

Anyway, since I began fishin' again I've hauled my rods, sometimes more than a few at a time, in the back of my truck. While I always lay them against/on top of a soft tackle bag, the upper half of the rods most definitely make contact with each other. This can create little "owies", or bruises, that can eventually lead to failure, not to mention those poor GUIDES a-rattlin' off of each other, and the rod blanks.

So here is my fix. It's not fancy at all, but it's cheap and it works very well, PLUS it's so easy to do that skipping the process would be silly-

I simply cut one of those $1.97 swim noodles in about 10" sections. More or less length would work too- this is just what I did. It keeps the rods apart nicely- I place them about a third of the way back from the tip.

I've just done this a couple of times. I haven't tried to refine it in any way. I also haven't tried to attach them in any way. I've drove thirty miles so far, from 15 mph on bumpy gravel roads, to 60 mph on bumpy pavement (our roads are a little bumpy sometimes) and I haven't come close to losing one).

So there ya go. Hope it helps someone.
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Oldfart9999

Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Combat Infidel

Love the idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Donald Garner

Dale, tks for sharing the tip and pictures with us.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

D.W. Verts

It WORKS. And now I see those noodles are .97 each. Pretty cheap protection...
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

WTodd

Those noodles have a couple more uses. Since they float I've put them on fish nets and seat pedestals. I put dish soap in the noodle hole and then slide the pedestal or net thru it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk