trailer tires cupping

Started by bluetoes, June 25, 2018, 08:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluetoes

Any thoughts on how to stop my tires from wearing on the edges but not in the middle. Tires are 175R 80/13 on a Triton Trailer for a 17' aluminum boat. Second set, same wear pattern as the tires on the boat when I got it used.

Bud Kennedy

Had the same problem on my RangerTrail Trailer.  Fact remains that on a hard welded axle system there is not adustment to make changes for alignment or wieght balance issues.  Mince seem to get worse as time went on and then I learned I had a cracked leaf spring.  At that time I was having a new trailer designed and built by a local shop and just forgot about the problems the old ranger trailer had.  Never did learn about any reasonable solution to the problem.  the best thing you can do is just keep proper inflation  and hub maintenance and hope for the best.

gatorglenn

I had the same issue. For me it was a loose bearing. They where new. But that one wasn't seated right. Once I cranked it down by the axel  nut. Then backed it off a 1/4 turn. It rotated the same by hand as the other side. I switch the tires side to side it stop. Iam on a newer set of tires and it hasn't come back.

So lesson learned for me was. When replacing bearings in the hubs. Don't tighten them down to what you feel is enough play and stop. Crank them down tight then back them off.

This was my fix for a wobble, that center of tire was fine. But both inside and outside treads had cups around an 1-1/2" apart.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
06 PT 175 TX
Mercury 60 hp

ItsJason

Are your tires cupping or are you having shoulder wear? Those are two entirely different things.
Cupping is when literally there is wear in just a few spots of the tire. The most common cause is that the tire is bouncing.
Shoulder wear (or wear on the outsides) is what it sounds like you are describing. If its both sides, the most common reason is under inflation. One side, the most common reason would be alignment (camber).

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

Kris

Quote from: ItsJason on June 26, 2018, 04:48:33 PM
Are your tires cupping or are you having shoulder wear? Those are two entirely different things.
Cupping is when literally there is wear in just a few spots of the tire. The most common cause is that the tire is bouncing.
Shoulder wear (or wear on the outsides) is what it sounds like you are describing. If its both sides, the most common reason is under inflation. One side, the most common reason would be alignment (camber).

I agree with Jason
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

Thornback

My 17.5' Bass Tracker on a TrailStar also shows cupped tires. I replaced the original and now I see the same cupping. The max PSI on the tire is 50# and I run 50 and check the PSI every 2 months. I reason because the tires are not balanced and there are no shock absorbers on the springs the cupping is just going to happen. I accept it as part of the fishing experience.

Princeton_Man

Quote from: gatorglenn on June 26, 2018, 12:02:43 AM
I had the same issue. For me it was a loose bearing. They where new. But that one wasn't seated right. Once I cranked it down by the axel  nut. Then backed it off a 1/4 turn. It rotated the same by hand as the other side. I switch the tires side to side it stop. Iam on a newer set of tires and it hasn't come back.

So lesson learned for me was. When replacing bearings in the hubs. Don't tighten them down to what you feel is enough play and stop. Crank them down tight then back them off.

This was my fix for a wobble, that center of tire was fine. But both inside and outside treads had cups around an 1-1/2" apart.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Quote from: ItsJason on June 26, 2018, 04:48:33 PM

Best answers! ~c~
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Oldfart9999

I would spend the money at a good tire shop, I used PEP BOYS last year and got good tires and they were balanced. Balancing will be a big help plus your trailer will run smoother.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.