Baitcaster recommendations

Started by apiazza, July 08, 2018, 02:20:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apiazza

Considering know one seems to know much about the daiwa I posted about before I figure I'll start shopping for a reel. I have $100 through my work that I can use on Amazon (bass pro too but their prices suck), so lets just make the generalization that it where I will likely buy. I don't mind throwing a few extra bucks at it. Let's assume a max price of 150. I have shimano salt water  spinners I really like but no baitcasters. I was looking at the citica. The daiwa tatula ct seems popular as well. I have no brand bias so I'm open to anything really. I'm a one rod kinda guy. Don't have the time or money for several different setups so was thinking 7._:1 ratios, again open to suggestions otherwise. I'm still trying to learn the freshwater game. I'm figuring on aluminum frame considering the consensus seems to be that they will last much longer if taken care of properly. Once again, I appreciate everyone's great advice around here.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Smallie_Stalker

This one on Amazon is right in your price range and 7.1 gear ratio. Very decent reels for the money.

Check it out here

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Bud Kennedy

analfisherman

apiazza, just to be sure you know, Bass Pro and Cabelas are one venture now and anything (gift card, etc.) you can use at BP you can use at Cabelas too.

I got a buddy who bought something at BP and actually was allowed to return it to a Cabelas store which was closer......and that wasn't an exchange but got the money back.
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

apiazza

Quote from: analfisherman on July 08, 2018, 04:20:28 PM
apiazza, just to be sure you know, Bass Pro and Cabelas are one venture now and anything (gift card, etc.) you can use at BP you can use at Cabelas too.

I got a buddy who bought something at BP and actually was allowed to return it to a Cabelas store which was closer......and that wasn't an exchange but got the money back.
Very true. I have a bass pro little over an hour away but cabelas is almost 3. That said online is always right around the corner

SFL BassHunter

I'm a huge fan of the Daiwa Tatula CT. The Fuego CT would also be up there since it's the same just no TWS.
I don't think you could go wrong with a Citica either. The CT's will cost less though.

All aluminum frame is excellent. Gives you durability and if you fish heavy cover you don't need to worry about the frame warping or bending on you.
7 speed is a great all around speed. Just right in the middle in my opinion. So honestly you're looking in all the right places.

My primary lineup is all tatulas at the moment with the exception of 1 helios (frog reel) because of its all aluminum frame and it's extremely light. But that's above your price point and honestly the tatulas are better reels overall at a much lower price point.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

apiazza

Quote from: SFL BassHunter on July 08, 2018, 04:44:41 PM
I'm a huge fan of the Daiwa Tatula CT. The Fuego CT would also be up there since it's the same just no TWS.
I don't think you could go wrong with a Citica either. The CT's will cost less though.

All aluminum frame is excellent. Gives you durability and if you fish heavy cover you don't need to worry about the frame warping or bending on you.
7 speed is a great all around speed. Just right in the middle in my opinion. So honestly you're looking in all the right places.

My primary lineup is all tatulas at the moment with the exception of 1 helios (frog reel) because of its all aluminum frame and it's extremely light. But that's above your price point and honestly the tatulas are better reels overall at a much lower price point.
I appreciate the input. Looks like the tatula ct and citica are only about $10 difference on Amazon. The citica I can get on prime but the tatula I can't lol

LgMouthGambler

Youll be fine with either the Citica or the Tatula. Probably get both in your hands first before buying to see which is more comfortable.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

apiazza

What would be comparable reel by lews? Maybe the tournament MB or BB1?

I'm going to try and head out today to look at the big 4: shimano citica, daiwa tatula ct, abu Garcia revo sx, and lews whatever falls in line. Hoping gander outdoors has most of them.

LgMouthGambler

Check out the Tournament Pro G. I got mine for a little over $100 shipped to me. Very impressive reel.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

apiazza

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on July 09, 2018, 08:28:53 AM
Check out the Tournament Pro G. I got mine for a little over $100 shipped to me. Very impressive reel.
That's a good deal. I haven't seen it less than $160ish. The MB can be had pretty cheap it seems.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: apiazza on July 09, 2018, 10:12:13 AM
That's a good deal. I haven't seen it less than $160ish. The MB can be had pretty cheap it seems.

I think it was Sportsman Outfitters on ebay, plus a extra 25% off ebay coupon at the time. Them dang coupon codes get me every time.  lo

apiazza

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on July 09, 2018, 10:13:20 AM
I think it was Sportsman Outfitters on ebay, plus a extra 25% off ebay coupon at the time. Them dang coupon codes get me every time.  lo
They get me spending money for sure. I don't need it but its 20% off therefore I must buy it!

apiazza

I was able to play with the tatula, revo sx, and crush mach. The revo autowind mechanism kept pinching my finger. The crush mach felt really good. If the tournament mb feels that good it would be a nice option. I liked the tatula as well but it was a bit tall for a fairly small hands. Tough decision especially without handling the shimano.

LgMouthGambler

Tournament MB has a aluminum frame, so Id go that route. And, for reference, the MB and the SX are practically the same reel.

<")))>{

apiazza

Picked citica after getting to play with one. Holy moly. Talk about smooth compared to the piece of junk I was using. Put some braid on last night. Pretty excited to give it a try this weekend.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: apiazza on July 12, 2018, 01:37:47 PM
Picked citica after getting to play with one. Holy moly. Talk about smooth compared to the piece of junk I was using. Put some braid on last night. Pretty excited to give it a try this weekend.

You get the Citica I ?

apiazza

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on July 12, 2018, 02:46:22 PM
You get the Citica I ?
Yeah 200 IHG

FloridaFishinFool

Nice choice. Slap some hybrid bearings in it!
Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: apiazza on July 12, 2018, 03:28:21 PM
Yeah 200 IHG

Actually just got one in the mail today myself.  lo Im gonna throw some ceramic spool bearings in it, and put 2 bearings per knob, and give it hell with braid. I needed a reel that I could beat the crap out of and not care. The Citica was the better looking of the 2 between it and the Curado I ( to me anyways ), so lets see what its got.

Lipripper

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on July 12, 2018, 03:58:40 PM
Actually just got one in the mail today myself.  lo Im gonna throw some ceramic spool bearings in it, and put 2 bearings per knob, and give it hell with braid. I needed a reel that I could beat the crap out of and not care. The Citica was the better looking of the 2 between it and the Curado I ( to me anyways ), so lets see what its got.
You going to put that 50 LB PP on there your getting from Mike. ;D I was thinking about getting the other spool but I saw it waqs green and I'm going to be switching all my stuff over to HI Viz Yellow. ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

apiazza

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on July 12, 2018, 03:58:40 PM
I might have to look into these upgrades. I probably really don't need them though.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: apiazza on July 12, 2018, 05:26:47 PM
I might have to look into these upgrades. I probably really don't need them though.

If you are not accustomed to them, then I would use the reel first. You can always upgrade later when you service it.

<")))>{

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Lipripper on July 12, 2018, 04:09:31 PM
You going to put that 50 LB PP on there your getting from Mike. ;D I was thinking about getting the other spool but I saw it waqs green and I'm going to be switching all my stuff over to HI Viz Yellow. ;D
Actually I already had 50lb Daiwa J BraidX4 in the mail with the reel. Then I seen Mikes thread. *facepalm* Oh well, I can always put it with all the rest of the chit. Lol

<")))>{

apiazza

Got the new reel out yesterday. After a little tweaking with the brakes and spool tension I'm very happy with it. Huge difference between a cheapo and good reel. Now I want to find a decent rod for it being that was a cheap one just to see if I was going to enjoy baitcasters.