Baitcaster recommendations

Started by apiazza, July 08, 2018, 02:20:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: apiazza on July 17, 2018, 08:47:35 AM
Got the new reel out yesterday. After a little tweaking with the brakes and spool tension I'm very happy with it. Huge difference between a cheapo and good reel. Now I want to find a decent rod for it being that was a cheap one just to see if I was going to enjoy baitcasters.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Ahh yes.... the force is strong in this one. Wait til you buy a very nice rod to match the nice reel. Your life and wallet will never be the same again.  ~roflmao

Enjoy the new reel!!  ~beer~

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: apiazza on July 17, 2018, 08:47:35 AM
Got the new reel out yesterday. After a little tweaking with the brakes and spool tension I'm very happy with it. Huge difference between a cheapo and good reel. Now I want to find a decent rod for it being that was a cheap one just to see if I was going to enjoy baitcasters.

Many good rods out there now for the $125-200 price. Dobyns Sierra is a killer rod, as well as the St Croix Mojo Bass (2nd Gen).
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

cport

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on July 17, 2018, 09:03:01 AM
Many good rods out there now for the $125-200 price. Dobyns Sierra is a killer rod, as well as the St Croix Mojo Bass (2nd Gen).
You is right about that, love my Mojo Rod!
11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

apiazza

Quote from: Bassinlou on July 17, 2018, 08:51:04 AM
Ahh yes.... the force is strong in this one. Wait til you buy a very nice rod to match the nice reel. Your life and wallet will never be the same again.  ~roflmao

Enjoy the new reel!!  ~beer~
Lol it's sad how easy I get sucked into stuff. I have more expensive hobbies then I like to admit. My wife just looks at me funny when I starting buying stuff. She fishes with a $40 dicks sporting goods special and does just as good as I do as long as I rig her line, touch the bait, tell her where to throw, pull the fish on the bank and remove the hook. She's good at reeling lol.

apiazza

I'm a little cheap right now because I just bought a new race motorcycle but I did find a lews mach 1 6'10" MH on clearance for $34 so that should be some improvement over my cheap ugly stick lol

bigjean663

After reading through all the comments I believe my reply is a little late but I'll throw it out there anyway. I was in the same boat cash wise. I knew that I didn't have a whole lot to work with so I did some research and spent a lot of time going hands on with a few different combos (combo was gonna be the best bang for my buck at the time). I settled on the Pfleuger Monarch combo from Dicks. I've had high priced setups before (curado, Lews, etc) and yeah, they're awesome. For $60, this combo is great. I've had absolutely no issues with it, rod has really really good sensitivity (IMO), reel seems to be plenty fast enough and smooth enough, and for the price I haven't used anything that's felt or done this well.

I know it's late but maybe it'll help someone else in their adventure for a nice entry level or just cheaper option for a baitcast we combo
I'd rather be on the water catching nothing than catching paperwork and cases at work.

Semper Fi