Bilge Pump

Started by Msn26753, July 09, 2018, 10:59:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Msn26753

Does Anyone Run a check Valve or anything in your bilge Pump Line? A few years ago, kept getting water washing back into the Bilge Pump Hole.. Some advise from some guys said to just put a loop in the hose.. I did that.. All has been good until Saturday, I ran some family on a boat Ride.. Then My boat had no power and I was several Miles down river.. Then looked at back of boat, and Uhoh.. Filled with water.. All the weight from everyone I guess was putting the hole under water and running down a river didnt mix well.. Was thinking of maybe putting a check valve inline or something.. Any suggestions?

Princeton_Man

First thing that comes to mind is relocating the bilge pump port and capping that port off. 
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Msn26753

Thats alot of work to move.. I think I might try this Check Valve. I see a few marine shops carry them.. The only problem I could see is if something went in backwards, like debre and stopped the fllap from opening...

Mike Cork

You'll want to check it regularly to make sure it isn't clogged or stuck closed. It's a great idea until it prevents water from being pump out of the bilge.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Msn26753

Yeah... Still undecided.. I seen where several people tried it, and worked good.. But then again, donno if I wanna take the chance.. I may run it up to the front of the boat and tie it in with my Icechest Drain, If my pump will pump that far... Bad design definately from the manufacturer of being too low... It works fine when its just 1 or 2 people.. but When i load up with more then that, the hole goes underwater...

Princeton_Man

Quote from: Msn26753 on July 13, 2018, 07:46:30 AM
Yeah... Still undecided.. I seen where several people tried it, and worked good.. But then again, donno if I wanna take the chance.. I may run it up to the front of the boat and tie it in with my Icechest Drain, If my pump will pump that far... Bad design definately from the manufacturer of being too low... It works fine when its just 1 or 2 people.. but When i load up with more then that, the hole goes underwater...
If it only happens when you're loaded heavy, maybe you could get a few feet of tubing that will fit tightly into the bilge port and run it back to your splash well or tie it to a cleat so that if the bilge pump comes on, it still pumps water out and back into the river. You wouldn't need it when running with a light load.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

PECo

The "loop in the hose" idea is a good one. It sounds like you really just need to get the top of the loop higher inside the hull than your fully loaded waterline.