PT175 Front Deck

Started by scbassfanatic, July 09, 2018, 09:37:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scbassfanatic

Does anyone know if the structure underneath the front deck is relevant to the structural integrity of the boat? I have a 2005 PT175. I'm interested in a complete redesign of the front, and possibly rear, deck. I would like a center rod box that would allow for 7'6" rods and build in extra storage throughout the front deck. I'm trying to make it more tournament friendly. The 2006 model (TXW) went to a center rod box on the same hull design.  I'm inclined to think the under deck supports are for the support of the deck only and not crucial to the integrity of the boat itself. Just thought I would ask. I can't seem to find anything online.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Princeton_Man

Quote from: scbassfanatic on July 09, 2018, 09:37:12 PM
Does anyone know if the structure underneath the front deck is relevant to the structural integrity of the boat? I have a 2005 PT175. I'm interested in a complete redesign of the front, and possibly rear, deck. I would like a center rod box that would allow for 7'6" rods and build in extra storage throughout the front deck. I'm trying to make it more tournament friendly. The 2006 model (TXW) went to a center rod box on the same hull design.  I'm inclined to think the under deck supports are for the support of the deck only and not crucial to the integrity of the boat itself. Just thought I would ask. I can't seem to find anything online.

Sending you a PM.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

gatorglenn

Send me a pm with contact number and I will send you all the pics you need. I have a 06 that Iam rebuilding now. The only difference in the two . Is the cut out in the front bulkhead for the rod locker. So if you cut the opening for the locker in the center. Just cut it a 1/2" larger all the way around .Then that piece of metal can be riveted over your side opening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
06 PT 175 TX
Mercury 60 hp

scbassfanatic

PM sent. Did yours have the center rod locker? I found d some pics today and I may be able to remove the larger storage bin and put my rod tubes through the wall there. That way I'm not removing that bulk head. Just modifying it. But if I can remove it, I'd like to.
Quote from: gatorglenn on July 10, 2018, 04:41:00 PM
Send me a pm with contact number and I will send you all the pics you need. I have a 06 that Iam rebuilding now. The only difference in the two . Is the cut out in the front bulkhead for the rod locker. So if you cut the opening for the locker in the center. Just cut it a 1/2" larger all the way around .Then that piece of metal can be riveted over your side opening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gatorglenn

You won't be able to remove the bulkhead. It is welded to the sides and the stringers. But as I mentioned. You won't hurt anything if you leave at least 3" on top and bottom I am cutting my opening up some. Basically the top three tube holes will be gone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
06 PT 175 TX
Mercury 60 hp

scbassfanatic

Okay I'm tracking now. Doesn't seem to be that difficult to do.
Quote from: gatorglenn on July 10, 2018, 07:52:38 PM
You won't be able to remove the bulkhead. It is welded to the sides and the stringers. But as I mentioned. You won't hurt anything if you leave at least 3" on top and bottom

gatorglenn

No it's not. Your just moving the rod ramp over. With a piece of angle under it ,riveted to the bulkhead. And cutting the new hole. But for added strength. Cut the hold larger enough to cover the other side.

06 PT 175 TX
Mercury 60 hp

mwdilday

I know this is an old post.  I see GatorGlen has had a 2006 175 stripped down to the hull.  I have a 2006 175 that I am trying to install an upgraded battery charger that won't fit in the original place on the transom.  I would like to install it on the deck under one of the seats.  Can I just drill thru the floor of the compartment and fish the wires thru the bilge?  Thanks for your help if you are still on the forum.

Goldstar225

On my 2018 PT190 it came with the charger installed under the center seat and the wires ran through the bilge to the aft compartment for the batteries.  When I upgraded the charger I did the same thing.  Two years later there have been no problems.  If you're drilling a hole through aluminum I'd recommend putting a grommet in the hole to protect the wires from abrasion.