Looking to buy a fish/ski or deck boat (Advice?)

Started by TNDiver, July 10, 2018, 08:54:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TNDiver

Finally convinced the wife it is time to buy a boat.  Probably looking for next summer, which gives me time to find some good deals once summer is over.  My kids are 10 and 12 and we are one block from Old Hickory Lake and 15 minutes from Piercy Priest.  Obviously the kids and I want to fish, but also want to go tubing, etc.  I am torn between a deck boat (so we can take another family if we want) and a fish/ski type boat.  I know there are deck boats that are more fish/ski with a full windshield but I wanted some pros and cons from those on here that have been in a similar situation. 

Basically, what advice would you give having gone through a similar experience and what are some other things I may not be thinking about?

I know this is probably a whole other thread but I would prefer an outboard motor, but an inboard has its advantages as well.  Pros/cons for tubing/fishing?

I have been looking at Lowes, Chapparel, Hurricane, the Sea- boats (Sea Ark, Sea Ray, etc).  Are there others I am not thinking about that are good boats but not ridiculously expensive?

I would like to keep the cost at or under $20,000.

Any input would be appreciated.
There is nothing like sharing any moment outdoors with someone special!

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus

Bud Kennedy

I think the first thing you have to decide is just how are you really gonna use the boat.  It sounds like your main interest is family recreation more so than fishing.  For family entertainment then a deck style boat would be my suggestion.  Deck boats are certainly not good fishing platforms for the most part but great for the family and friends.  However if you plan on doing a lot of fishing then fish and ski options are somewhat attractive.  Once you come to grips with what you really want the boat to do then the search can become a bit more focussed. 

Tow ability and ease of launch are also considerations.  I watch folks with pontoon boats at the ramp and while towing and they seem to be a big pain in the rear. While they are great for family they are also subject to wind conditions that make it a bit tough sometimes.

I am a bass fisherman and for me the only choice would be fish and ski.  Although this is a compromise it would get the fishing job done just fine but does have limited seating and lounging deck.

Princeton_Man

Pretty much saying the same thing as Bud with one exception.

Inboards use up a lot of valuable space in a boat. That's all I have to say about that.

The big questions/determining factors is how much of it will be for your family, how much do you want to share with friends, and how much of it will be for fishing?
Deck boats are great for larger groups, the children's friends, pulling big inflatables, and so on. Not the greatest fishing platform.

You didn't mention pontoons but, they too are great for entertaining and pulling tubes. Pontoons can be easier to fish from than a deck boat, have livewells, and make good swim platforms, and have room for big pull toys/tubes. They make some pretty fast pontoons today. They do require a little  more space in the back yard and at the ramp. The folks who have the most trouble launching one are those who only do it once a year.

Fish & Ski boats usually have a limit of 5 with limited room for big toys. Throw some ice, sodas, and lunch in a livewell and it's great for the family but, not much for entertaining many others. Great for pulling skiers and tubes. Swap out the ski pylon for a rear fishing seat and you and your fishing partner can blast off on tournament morning.

My first choice would be F&S. Easy to tow/launch. Taking one or both of the kids with one or two friends or just the family would be all I'd want to be responsible for at one time.

I think your choices are really F&S or pontoon.

Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

TNDiver

hadn't thought about the trailering, but I plan to practice plenty beforehand.  And I am off during the summer, so I can hit the ramps when it is not busy.   Not crazy about a pontoon.  We had one once growing up and didn't like how it deals with waves and wasn't the fastest for pulling tubes.  It did ok, but wanted something that handled better, especially when you have that need for speed craving!  ;D

However, the deck boats have really blurred the lines between pleasure, fishing and fish & Ski. You can get most with front and back seats, live wells (sometimes 2), trolling motors, the whole nine yards.  Lowes makes a nice one with a big front deck (SD224) and Hurricane has a version as well.  Again, just asking around if others had a similar dilemma, what they decided and if they are happy with their decision. 

I also thought about getting more of a pleasure craft and then get a jon boat or something to fish out of, but the wife will probably put the kibosh on that lol

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus

Princeton_Man

Pontoons have gotten much faster and better handling. I've only owned one bow rider, everything else has been fishing so, I don't have any experience with the deck boats. There's a lot to be said for a Jon boat.  :)
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Captsteve

I have a fish and ski. There a lot of choices in the catagory. They are a good cross between fishing and leisure.  Just my $ .02

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Steve
Headed for the Lake

Deadeye

Take a look at these:

https://www.rangerboats.com/aluminum/multi-species/deep-v/vs1782sc.html

One of the guys from the Florida Section had one and I fished with him out of it. Plenty of room for fishing and plenty of room for family as well.

His had the option of the rear deck flipping up to reveal two jump seats. 115 had plenty of power for the boat.

TNDiver

Interesting boat Deadeye.  I have not been able to find many deck boats for what I want but did find a nice Nitro Fish and Ski.  Hmm, decisions, decisions lol

Captsteve

I have the Ranger Reata 1850

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Steve
Headed for the Lake