Question about the best method for jig when dropping it into holes in the pads

Started by Pacific NW Ron, July 10, 2018, 12:38:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacific NW Ron

This year I put my mind to using a jig more often.  I've heard for years about how good they work even when the bite is slow.  I've used them a little over the years and haven't been very successful.   I've caught a few but very few for the number of casts I've used them.  So far this year I've caught more already on a jig than I had in the past 15 years.  The picture is the best one (3.8 lb) so far on a jig this year.
I have a question about the best method for the jig when dropping it into holes in the pads
So far what I've found is most bites come on the fall or even as soon as the jig hits the water.
Am I wasting time by letting the jig rest on the bottom for a few seconds before hitting the next hole?
Do you jig users find that most bites come on the fall or after the jig hits bottom and then shaking or moving the jig?  Thanks in advance for your input.
Ron
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

Capt. BassinLou

Let the bass be your guide on where along the water column they are hitting for that day Ron. Sometimes they hit right on entry, or when you jig from the top or from the bottom. So far though, you seem to be on the right track if your producing with the jig so far.

WTodd

Just drop it, go up & down a couple of times and move to the next hole.....repeat A LOT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D.W. Verts

I would also experiment with weights/fall rates. Sometimes a slow fall is the answer, and sometimes a heavy jig thumpin' on the bottom is the ticket.
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

basss

1995 Gheenoe Highsider
2018 12' Bote HD Paddleboard

Stren_g

It's been all over the place for me. Sometimes the bite is on the fall, sometimes it's after it sits for a few seconds, sometimes it comes while dragging it. I will note that it seems to be on the fall more when there is vertical cover, and more while dragging it when its rocky or on points/edges.

Pacific NW Ron

Quote from: D.W. Verts on July 10, 2018, 02:23:21 PM
I would also experiment with weights/fall rates. Sometimes a slow fall is the answer, and sometimes a heavy jig thumpin' on the bottom is the ticket.

Thanks for your input.  I have and so far it seems the lighter weight slow fall has been producing the best for me in the waters that I fish.  I'm catching or at least getting enough bites filppin and pitchin pads that I find myself using it more and more.  This style of fishing isn't as hard on my old arthritic hands as casting.
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

Pacific NW Ron

Quote from: basss on July 10, 2018, 02:26:25 PM
Ron, you using trailers on the jigs?
Thanks for you input.  Yes I am but haven't decided which one is producing the most bites yet.  I have decided on the color black and blue lighter weight for the waters that I fish.

Mike Cork

Lots of great advice already. Especially the heavier jig  ;)

But I pitch them to holes and rise and fall. Most strikes come on the fall or when it hits the bottom. If no bite, I'll pull it to the top again and fall one more time. If nothing it's off to the next hole. More often than not it's all about the fall so I create as many falls as I can.

I'm always plugging Mister Twister but on a jig, the buzz bug is amazing action and can help regulate your fall rate :-*

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

zippyduck

Ron,

I can't add much to what has been said already.

Have you tried a grub on a weedless jighead. It works wonders on skittish fish. And you can easily adjust the fall rate by jig weights and the size of the grub. Work it the same as mop jig.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

SteelHorseCowboy

I'm fairly new to actually catching fish on jigs myself. My brother in law told me to go fish and don't even take anything with me but jigs and trailers, dedicate myself to using ONLY jigs at least for a day, he shared the different techniques mentioned here, and told me to just "play around" with it.

So far every fish I've caught on them has followed the same routine, but I've only caught around ten or so since I started using them this past spring. I blame the angler and insane flooding, not the lure. I let it fall to the bottom, wait for a bit and sometimes up to a full minute, bounce it two or three times leisurely and wait a few seconds, then bounce it a few more times fairly rapidly and start retrieving it at a moderate pace immediately after the last bounce. Every time it's been taken, it was taken within only a couple handle turns on the retrieve.
I theorize the slow bouncing kind of calls them in at ease, the rapid bouncing really gets their attention, then they commit when it's about to get away.

I haven't had a strike yet on the fall that I know of, but it's very likely I've had quite a few and didn't notice.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

D.W. Verts

Good deal Ron. Experiment and REMEMBER WHAT YOU WERE DOING WHEN YOU GOT A BITE (very hard to do sometimes). When the fish are bitin' GREAT, they'll smoke it on the initial drop. When they are slow, you'll have to leave it in place, jiggin' it, shakin' it, repeat. MOST of the time I do it exactly as Cork says.

Over the years the slow fall has been my go-to, but I also missed out some on the fast drop, and THUMPIN' the bottom with a heavier bait.

I expect to catch most of my bigger fish this summer flippin' mats and pads. Unless the deep ledge thing takes over. Anyway, I'll always have four flippin' rods out, loaded up with four different baits, and heavy and light weights. Then I fish.

And then I LISTEN.
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

SteveTX

Quote from: D.W. Verts on July 11, 2018, 08:12:36 PM
I'll always have four flippin' rods out, loaded up with four different baits, and heavy and light weights. Then I fish.
This ^^^ is fishing.  ;D

Yeah I fish Jigs quite a bit and its like everyone says, I'd try it all. See what works for you and your areas. My waters are like mud so I throw dark to very dark colors and use my trailers to modify the look and action along with the fall rate of my jigs. You may have totally different conditions so what works for you may be different.

What I didn't see mentioned although I just skimmed the posts is weather or not you you use rattles. Again my conditions rattles are a huge bonus. I even have had great success in stained water with them.

I do fish mine a lot like Cork also but some times there are places in my mind that I just feel there is a very high % one is there I may fish it a tad different or longer jigging it on the bottom and hoping its calling them in. If I find a extremely good looking pocket, or hole, and can work it really good sometimes on one pitch just barely twitching the tip of my rod. It takes next to nothing to rattle the rattles. And as has been said when you start to pull away be ready. If shes looking she probably wont be able to let it leave.