Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

I am personally getting tired of spammers! We will be aggressively blocking IP addresses  from here on out. If you find yourself  blocked call 318-347-7380 and we will work to correct the issue. Thank you!

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crankbait rod and set up  (Read 179 times)

Songdog316

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
Crankbait rod and set up
« on: July 11, 2018, 08:19:42 PM »

This is definitely something Iíve never done before.. I did alittle reading online on a few different sites and decided to order an Abu Garcia crankbait rod (7 ft 6 inch) moderate taper, paired it up with a 5:4:1 Abu Garcia Orra Winch reel! I went with 10lb Berkley Flouro and also ordered a handful of Strike King 6XD crankbaits.  I fish a pretty stained lake so I went with black back chartreuse, powder blue back, green back chartreuse and sexy shad.

Anyways, Im wondering if you guys tie right to the lure or use some kind of snap?
Also does my set up sound ok?

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
  • Get the Net it's a Hawg
    • Ultimate Bass
Re: Crankbait rod and set up
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 04:39:33 PM »

Sounds like you're headed down the right road, not it's about getting on the water.

I personally use snaps for my cranking. I feel like it gives the bait more action and it makes it easy to change colors.
Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

njpaulc

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 08:41:45 PM »

I replace the round split rings with oval shaped rings and tie directly to the split ring. 

Songdog316

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 08:44:00 PM »

Do you have a certain kind that you like?

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 06:21:13 AM »

Sounds like a good setup, I use snaps.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

njpaulc

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 09:44:47 AM »

I believe I got the oval split rings from BassPro.  If you decide to use a snap, I found the duo lock snap design to be the easiest to use.

Oldfart, when you use snaps do you remove the split ring?

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 04:13:44 AM »

I believe I got the oval split rings from BassPro.  If you decide to use a snap, I found the duo lock snap design to be the easiest to use.

Oldfart, when you use snaps do you remove the split ring?

Yes, it's habit, I like to be able to change baits without retying but in reality we should spend the few seconds it take to put a fresh knot on just to be safe, knots wear.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

FloridaFishinFool

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 07:30:49 AM »

I replace the round split rings with oval shaped rings and tie directly to the split ring.

I remove all split rings and tie a rapala loop knot directly to the lure.

But I agree switching them to oval does help to prevent the line damage and breakage from occurring like the round split rings are known for when the line is pulled tight on a hook set and fighting a fish the line has to slide over the sharp metal ends to find that middle spot right between 2 sharp metal ends of the round split ring.

After losing some nice fish like that over the years I decided one day I'd try oval split rings but I saw the same problem and my line would invariably find that middle spot and you can't get it out of there without damaging the line. Have to retie and get right back in same situation over and over again.

So now look in my tackle boxes and my sons' boxes and you won't find any split rings on any lures- except for the hooks but none to tie on to. Now I don't lose fish because of round split rings. Its been over 15 years and I am so glad I got rid of them.

But to each their own...

If you have round split rings take a moment to feel those sharp metal ends and just know when you are pulling line tight on a fish as the line slides around the ring to find that middle spot the line has to slide over those sharp edges while under load. They will damage the line.

Now think... You just set the hook on a nice bass and his head is thrashing back and forth with your line pulled tight in that middle spot being snapped back and forth and side to side. The tight line is pulled right into those sharp ends now on both sides of your line.

Those sharp ends will win. Your fish and lure will be gone.
In TB we have a true gentleman and heroic defender of Florida's guarded and protected natural resources and welcome among the fraternal bonds of native sons.

Deadeye

• Ultimate Basser
  • You going Fishing again? Well Duh, I'm breathing.
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 08:21:48 AM »

Fishermen and Women have been using Split Rings for years to give their Cranks more action, hard to believe that many were loosing fish due to using them or you would hear more about it.

For me I just started Cranking again after putting them away in favor of other things for several years. One of the things I have done that does two things is add a good quality Snap to the end of my line.

1) Gives the Crank extra action. A Rapala or Loop Knot was the standard to add to the Split Ring for extra action, but the Snap does the same thing.

2) allows me to change baits quickly to find what they want that day.

Now I'm not talking about those old style Snaps with the barrel swivel and flat metal side, no these are solid wire made with a double snap over end. I found mine at Academy Sports but you can find them at any good fishing supply store. I think mine are rated at 60 or 80 lb.

Try them and see if you like them.

Here is an example from Academy. These are 100 lb rated.
https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/berkley-cross-lok-snaps-4-pack#repChildCatid=20162
Eternal Optimism. It's what drives me to fish. Next cast is THE cast that will provide the reason why I am here. Big Bass, Small Bass, No Bass-- Everyday and Every Time out learn something. What worked and what didn't and why. In the end go enough days and then, Today is the day that it will all come together and the Fish Gods will smile.

FloridaFishinFool

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2018, 09:21:29 AM »

Fishermen and Women have been using Split Rings for years to give their Cranks more action, hard to believe that many were loosing fish due to using them or you would hear more about it.

2009. Posted here years before I joined the forum.

https://www.ultimatebass.com/bass-fishing-forum/index.php?topic=60021.0

BigJim5589 forum staff said this:

"I don't have any problems with the line getting into the split & damaging the line."

TopCat posted this:

"oval split ring design is also self-centering to keep the "split" at the side so there is no chance for  the knot to slide to the split and cause problems......"

And found on other forums:

WRB said: "All split rings, including oval shape, have sharpe ends that will damage your line"

Cranks4fun posted: "I want to avoid tying in the split gap of the oval ring and on round rings it takes much more effort to avoid. In addition, as you use the bait with the round split ring, the knot can move into the gap increasing the chances of losing the bait."

What's hard to believe is thinking sharp ends of metal right next to the line pulled tight and a thrashing fish would NOT damage the line at some point. I don't want my line in that gap any more. And I am not alone...

In TB we have a true gentleman and heroic defender of Florida's guarded and protected natural resources and welcome among the fraternal bonds of native sons.

Deadeye

• Ultimate Basser
  • You going Fishing again? Well Duh, I'm breathing.
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 07:24:36 AM »

2009. Posted here years before I joined the forum.

https://www.ultimatebass.com/bass-fishing-forum/index.php?topic=60021.0

BigJim5589 forum staff said this:

"I don't have any problems with the line getting into the split & damaging the line."

TopCat posted this:

"oval split ring design is also self-centering to keep the "split" at the side so there is no chance for  the knot to slide to the split and cause problems......"

And found on other forums:

WRB said: "All split rings, including oval shape, have sharpe ends that will damage your line"

Cranks4fun posted: "I want to avoid tying in the split gap of the oval ring and on round rings it takes much more effort to avoid. In addition, as you use the bait with the round split ring, the knot can move into the gap increasing the chances of losing the bait."

What's hard to believe is thinking sharp ends of metal right next to the line pulled tight and a thrashing fish would NOT damage the line at some point. I don't want my line in that gap any more. And I am not alone...

Wow you dug deep for that one, going all the way back to 2009? That's almost ten years ago of searching.

Still hold by what I stated, even with your "search" you found what 4 others that believe split rings are bad-- which they did not actually say they just said they didn't have any issues with them and that Oval Style they believed was better than round.

So believe what you want, I really don't care. I'll trust my experience and the experience of THOUSANDS of other fishermen that use them all the time.
Eternal Optimism. It's what drives me to fish. Next cast is THE cast that will provide the reason why I am here. Big Bass, Small Bass, No Bass-- Everyday and Every Time out learn something. What worked and what didn't and why. In the end go enough days and then, Today is the day that it will all come together and the Fish Gods will smile.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 24 queries.