Boat lift issues with hul straps

Started by Oldcane, July 11, 2018, 09:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldcane

Can anyone help me determine if a boat lift using hull straps will damage my boat.i just bought a new hose on the lake and the boat lift is set up with hulstraps..thinking I may need to bunk rails built to support the boat

Princeton_Man

Quote from: Oldcane on July 11, 2018, 09:02:40 PM
Can anyone help me determine if a boat lift using hull straps will damage my boat.i just bought a new hose on the lake and the boat lift is set up with hulstraps..thinking I may need to bunk rails built to support the boat

Congratulations on the new lake house and welcome aboard UltimateBass.com! ~c~ I've never used one and don't know anyone who does.

Probably not an issue for aluminum hulls but, for paint/fiberglass/gelcoat I would be a little concerned if the straps or hull were dirty enough for them to be abrasive. You should also inspect the straps for signs of age and wear.

As long as the hull and straps are kept clean and the straps are in good condition, you're probably safe. If I were lucky enough to be in that situation, I'd want something to lift from the bottom too. Those Hydro hoist lifts are cool.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Oldfart9999

Shouldn't be an issue as long as you remember to lower the straps enough to clear the prop. On my home waters there is a Champion held by 2 straps and it's doing fine and has been for years.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Smallie_Stalker

Hey oldcane. Welcome to the Ultimate Bass family! Pleasure to have you with us. Pull up a chair, make yourself right at home and jump in wherever you feel comfortable. 

Sorry I can't help you with your question as I've never seen a lift with straps but it seems like you are getting some good advice already.  ~sun

Would like to win some free gear from some of the great companies that sponsor our site? Be sure and put your name in for the New Member's Contest and the Weekly Contests .

If you are interested in a little friendly competition for bragging rights only get in on our iBass tournament . You can find the rules here iBass Rules

We love pictures around here. Please feel free to post some pics of your catches anytime in our Catch of the Day board.

We're looking forward to seeing you around the boards and to learning from what you share with us.

In the meantime, if you need any help with anything at all please don't hesitate to contact me or any other staff member.

Once again, Welcome!

><> Smallie_Stalker  <><
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Donald Garner

Oldcane,

Welcome to the UltimateBass Family we're glad you're here  ~c~
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Oldcane

Thanks guys for the responses.i only Asked because  I heard of warping and cracking from the weight but to be honest my boat is Triton trx 179 with a hull weight around 1200 lbs. Also thanks for the welcome I just joined and need to properly introduce myself thanks...

Princeton_Man

I've never heard the warping/cracking issues but, I see a lot of boats on lifts that look like they haven't touched the water in years. I would think it's entirely possible for warping to occur in situations like that.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club