Truman Lake, 7-12

Started by D.W. Verts, July 13, 2018, 10:47:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D.W. Verts

I decided to get down to Truman for a while yesterday afternoon to cool off some. Right.

I haven't fished there since August of 2000, but little has changed. I went hoping to improve my UB IBass tournament string. THAT didn't happen due to mechanical issues with my camera.

Anyway- Lake level was 705.7 (full pool is 706). Air temps were 97-100 with a nice little breeze out of the South/Southwest. The sky was mostly sunny, and the water visibility was maybe 2-3'. They were running a little water when I started at 3 PM, and generation increased while I was there. It was critical to how I caught my fish.

I put in at Sterrett Creek which is about 35 minutes from my home. The furthest I traveled was about five miles, both up the Tebo and the main Osage arm of the Lake. I fished a little less than five hours, had seven bites, and put six keepers in the boat from three to six pounds.

Every fish I caught was exactly where I left 'em in 2000... The very first drop on the very first tree yielded a five pounder. I only had four rods out on the deck- three flippin' poles, two with 10"Doc Irv worms, one with a jig, and a crankbait rod that I never picked up.

Truman fish suspend in the summer, and the current locates them. I caught most of my fish about ten feet deep suspended in water from twenty to twenty-five feet deep. These fish are in trees that are on flats adjacent to the creek/river channel, and they all hit on the initial drop. If the bait gets to fifteen feet I'd pick it up and do it again.

I look forward to this bite lasting thru August.

There were also huge schools of white bass schooling on the flats after 6 PM. When I quit at 7 there were some Wipers getting in on the action, and maybe a few blacks too.
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Mike Cork

Great report Dale, thank you for sharing a great day on the water.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Lipripper

Another great report Dale and sorry your camera didn't work so you could of upgraded IBASS stuff.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Donald Garner

Dale, tks for sharing the trip with us.  Congrats on the catching also  ~c~
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Oldfart9999

Quote from: Donald Garner on July 13, 2018, 06:46:28 PM
Dale, tks for sharing the trip with us.  Congrats on the catching also  ~c~

Dittos!!!
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

jfly

Awesome report.  Thanks.  I've been fishing that stretch a lot recently but haven't been able to catch any good ones.

jfly

What size weight were you using with your worm?

D.W. Verts

Quote from: jfly on July 15, 2018, 09:44:13 AM
What size weight were you using with your worm?

Generally a 1/4 ounce. Those big worms catch a lot of water on the drop. I'll use a 3/16 when the bite is slower, and the a half ounce when it's impossible (the faster fall makes 'em bite before they have time to think about it.)

Also the clearer the water the heavier weight will see more use. I don't want them to have time to think about it. Or whatever it is that bass do.

jfly

D.W. Verts

You are most absolutely welcome. Until you put the whup on me someday. Then I'll take it back.

jfly

No worries there I'm sure.  lol