Truman Lake in Missouri

Started by Wizard, July 15, 2018, 10:25:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wizard

Truman dam is at the upper end of Lake of the Ozarks. The lake is completely different from LOZ.  Truman is a Corps controlled lake used for power generation and water management. LOZ is a privately owned lake controlled by Ameran Electric for power generation. So, lots of houses, docks, boats and bass at LOZ with little to no bottom cover as the lake was clear cut before being built.
Truman is the opposite. Being a Corps lake, there are few houses or docks near the water and all vegetation was flooded when the lake was impounded.
Mr. Verts wrote on how to fish the summer season at Truman in the Missouri forum. I want to inform how to avoid problems as you fish the lake.
Truman is a large lake with very few marinas, lots of flooded trees near shore and little shade. There are also few anglers on the lake in summer. So, if you have boat issues, you will find little help.
Make sure your boat is in good condition and your gas tanks are full. Bring plenty of cold water and then add more. Keep plenty of ice, sun screen, extra hat and sunglasses. I bring a large golf umbrella I can use to cover me from the sun in an emergency. Remember, you will seldom find help at Truman Lake.
I'm telling you this because twice I have stayed overnight on the water with motor issues. It was mid day the next day before anyone saw me. It would have been a third time except a local legend named the Bugler helped me out. He has a pontoon boat and if he sees someone in trouble, he blows "CHARGE" on an old Cavalry bugle to let you know he sees you. You folks get the idea. The lake can be dangerous and you need to be prepared for emergencies when you come to fish. Enough said!

Wizard

coldfront

great advice.  thanks Wizard.

how is cell service out on the lake?

D.W. Verts

I don't own a phone, but service should be fine- Truman is surrounded by small towns.

It really can be a wilderness lake- it's a non-culture shock after spending time on LOZ. Only four marinas serve it , and they are all on the lower half. You can be a LONG way from anyone at any given time.

I used to guide there before cell phones. I believe if I were to do that again I'd have to carry one. And a flair gun. And  a sharp knife. And some MRE's...
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Wizard

Cell service is good as long as you aren't near a bluff wall and there are lots of bluff walls. Also, Whiteman AFB is not far away. It is home to B2 bombers and A10 Warthogs. The Warthogs use the lake as a practice range. If you are the only boat in the area, you are the target. They are turbo fan jets, fly slow and very quiet. They will use the bluff walls to hide the jet noise, pop over the bluff wall and dive on you. It can get exciting quickly. The first time it happened to me by partner fell out of the boat. I retrieved him and the pilots made several more runs at us. When they were done, one cheeky pilot came back, inverted about 40 ft. over the water and waved at us as he flew by.

Wizard

D.W. Verts

I've known a lot of 'hog pilots. They get a kick out of paintin' a dot on you.

It happened to me up the Tebo arm once too, only this time it was an Apache helicopter. It got real loud, really fast. Hard on the fish, too.
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

merc1997

my first trip to truman was truly an experience.  i believe the ramp we eventually found was at sparrow foot.  we literally got there by way of a logging road that became very sketchy a few times as to whether there was enough room to squeeze the trailer through.  when we finally came out of the woods, there was a big paved parking lot with lined parking slots and all.  sure seemed somewhat backwards to have built all of that before making a way to get to it.

bo
On Heaven's Lake

Donald Garner

I've had the opportunity to fish Truman a few times with Marvin Deckard.  We always launched out of Bucksaw Marina.  You guys are right there isn't a lot of services on the lake and unless there's a Major Tournament going on you're not going to see a lot of people there.

It's one of my top 5 favorite lakes I enjoy fishing. 
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Oldfart9999

Relatively peaceful and quiet, I'd love it but I'd have to take some precautions that Wizard mentioned.
Rodney 
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.