Any diawa tatula sv tws owners, need help

Started by Jdog, July 22, 2018, 10:46:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jdog

Need help properly adjusting brake etc so there's no backlash. Any advice appreaciated.

Bud Kennedy

I have four of these in my arsenal.  They ideed are the most versatile reels I have ever owned.  Adjustments are a simple combination of line tension and brakes.  Also in consideration is they weight of the lures you are throwing and how you are e performing the cast.

It would be helpful if you could describe the conditions that are causing your problem and perhaps we can be more specific about the adjustments.  If you are trying to whip a long cast then you jut may be overpowering your cast but you will have to tell us.

My basic set up is to adjust the line tension, I like the spool to just rattle the smallest minute amount and certainly not too tight.  I then like to have my brakes set between 4&6 for general fishing but might go higher if throwing a heavy bait.  Obviously more brakes shorten the cast.  If I am pitching then I lower the brake setting down to about 2 and usually don't bother the line tension. 

Waiting to hear back for you to describe the conditions you are experiencing.

Jdog

Bud email me your number so I can't discuss it. [Please enable JavaScript to see this content]

Pipepro

2017 Stratos 186 VLO 115 SHO

SFL BassHunter

The video Pipepro put on there is good. That should work perfectly fine. I usually keep my brakes around 3-4, with higher winds I go up to 5-8
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

basss

Adjust the cast control first, then then the spool tensioner.  It should be done any time the weight of the bait changes ... and of course wind.

Don't try to cast it a football field at first, take your time.
1995 Gheenoe Highsider
2018 12' Bote HD Paddleboard

cbburke

Quote from: basss on July 23, 2018, 01:38:04 PM

Learned my lesson the hard way on my first SV103 I got. I just stupidly thought it was set up.  :P
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies..."

1ReelFanatik

Quote from: basss on July 23, 2018, 01:38:04 PM
Adjust the cast control first, then then the spool tensioner.  It should be done any time the weight of the bait changes ... and of course wind.

I am lost.   :help:  I thought the cast control was the spool tensioner.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: 1ReelFanatik on July 26, 2018, 08:23:08 AM
I am lost.   :help:  I thought the cast control was the spool tensioner.

It is, he mis spoke. Cast control cap is to adjust spool "side to side" play. The brake dial on the palm plate is to adjust braking force.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

1ReelFanatik

Quote from: Jdog on July 22, 2018, 10:46:39 AM
Need help properly adjusting brake etc so there's no backlash. Any advice appreaciated.

I had a problem with the first SV reel I bought....an Alphas SV105.  Backlashed more than any other reel I've ever owned.  Sent it to Ian Shields.  No longer a problem.  Casts great.

I had set it up per video instructions.  Then I posted about it on another forum and took their advice.  Most of the advice was already in the video I watched.  Nothing worked.

I've purchased a Tatula SV and two SV103's since then with nary a hitch.