spooling braid

Started by merc1997, July 23, 2018, 11:26:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merc1997

here is tip that i truly now believe to really make braid come off the spool better and not dig into itself or seem that is the problem.

one of the problems that i have just put up with fishing braid because of all the other pluses is digging in and causing casting issues for three or four casts in a row, and then work fine for a dozen casts and then goes zizz pop on the next two or three.

i have discovered that it all begins with the backing you are putting on, even on spinning reels.  i finally analyzed that heavier backing was causing the braid to spool on with up and down patterns.  it was falling into the creases of the mono and continued doing so all the way to the top of the fill.

so, to experiment and see if that was truly the case, i took the one reel that was really giving me fits and stripped off all the line including backing.  the backing was 17 lb. xt.  i replaced the backing with 8 lb. maxima and could already tell how much of a smoother surface i had to begin with for putting the braid onto.  i put the same braid back on that was on the reel to begin with and then went fishing.  i never had one time with the digging issue, even throwing into a hurricane of a wing.  fished a second trip to see if it was just a fluke and again, not one time did i zizz pop.

i have since done the same with the rest of my reels and linda's reels, including the spinning reels.  it sure seems that it is another one of those "rules of braid" to follow and you will get along with braid better.

bo
On Heaven's Lake

coldfront

good tip!  my backing has always been 10#.  will look at even smaller diameter backing.

SteelHorseCowboy

I use 8# P-line for backing most of the time, because I found a big spool on sale for stupid cheap.
When I started using some heavier braids, I went to 10 and 12# mono for backing because the more similar diameters make it easier to splice.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Bud Kennedy

I started to do the same thing when I got my Daiwa SVTWs.  I was a tad worried about spool space and used some #6 mono that I had from way back in time.  Did not use all that much but since then I have not had any problems with digging in as I did with the Lews using heavier mono backing.  I guess some of the best things are learned by chance.   ~c~

coldfront

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on July 23, 2018, 12:56:53 PM
I started to do the same thing when I got my Daiwa SVTWs.  I was a tad worried about spool space and used some #6 mono that I had from way back in time.  Did not use all that much but since then I have not had any problems with digging in as I did with the Lews using heavier mono backing.  I guess some of the best things are learned by chance.   ~c~

yessir.  and appreciation to those that share/verbalize/write them up.
~c~

Pferox

Ya know, I have always used 12lb, and now 8lb mono as backing because I wanted it to snap instead of the heavier braids that I use, and many times have said to myself that I don't experience the digging in that everybody talks about.

Here, I thought it was how tight I wound the spool, but it actually might be because of the backing.

If that is the only fix, wouldn't it be better to just spool direct with a taped spool and no backing at all?
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

merc1997

Quote from: Pferox on July 23, 2018, 04:57:05 PM
Ya know, I have always used 12lb, and now 8lb mono as backing because I wanted it to snap instead of the heavier braids that I use, and many times have said to myself that I don't experience the digging in that everybody talks about.

Here, I thought it was how tight I wound the spool, but it actually might be because of the backing.

If that is the only fix, wouldn't it be better to just spool direct with a taped spool and no backing at all?
actually if the spool would allow to just tie direct to the spool, in my mind that would absolutely be the best way.  at any rate, it has solved the line catching coming out and bring the cast to an abrupt halt and even back lashing.  really a night and day difference.

bo
On Heaven's Lake

Oldfart9999

Great tip Bo!!! Should save a lot of heartache!
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Smallie_Stalker

Great tip Bo!!!  ~c~

For a long time I have used the same diameter mono backing as the diameter of my braid. Can't remember if an old club buddy told me this or if I came across it on my own but it really does make a difference.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

the_huber_show

Great tip!  I am going to have to try this
Fishbrain: The_Huber_Show

Ron Fogelson

Quote from: merc1997 on July 23, 2018, 05:25:11 PM
actually if the spool would allow to just tie direct to the spool, in my mind that would absolutely be the best way

bo

That is how I've always done it, caught hell from a few folks stating I was ruining them because the braid would damage the spool,,,,, no idea how they came up with that but never have had an issue.

the_huber_show

Thanks for the tip!  I'm about to spool up my new Lews reel so I will try this
Fishbrain: The_Huber_Show