97 Ocean Pro 200 help

Started by fergusonarchery, July 24, 2018, 11:44:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fergusonarchery

I run free of charge out my own pocket fishing trips for Veterans through a 501c3 called Stag Vets.  Its a program to help Veterans rehabilitate , re-integrate and have a good time through fishing, hunting farming etc.  I don't want to have to cancel my upcoming trips but my motor is acting up.  It's a 97 Evinrude Ocean Pro 200 90° looper.  E200TXEUA. 

Symptoms:

No Tachmoeter at cold start.. Starts working after motor runs a few minutes.

Motor start, idles and runs good at first run.  Although there is a what feels like a revlimiter  wide open throttle. 

After the first Wide Open throttle run and the motor has really warmed up there is a missing, skipping at take off and it will only run up to about 4600rpm.  If you stay wide open throttle it will sometimes surge and I will get about 5400 which is WOT for this boat. Like someone flipped a switch on then off.

Replaced so far.

Carbs
Coils
Regulator/Rectifier (Last year)

I am about googled out and really don't know where to start.  I have a DVA meter,  Factory Repair manual, and just order a test wheel.  I'm looking to see if anyone had recommendations on where to start or may have experienced symptoms like this before.  I can't afford to throw parts at it right now. So I'm trying to find the issue with testing. 

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Lipripper

I don't own a boat or know much about them but I just wanted to thank you for what you are doing for the vets and hope you can get your motor problem figured out so you can keep taking the vets out . 8)

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

fergusonarchery

Thanks...its a really good program and I am honored to do it.

Princeton_Man

My first suggestions would be inspect ALL of your wires closely.

Second would be the stator.  If you've already replaced the stator, I'd almost bet it's a connection.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

D.W. Verts

The stator is where the tach gets its signal I believe (I'm out of practice, sorry). I believe that it's breaking down.
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Princeton_Man

Quote from: D.W. Verts on July 24, 2018, 07:34:03 PM
The stator is where the tach gets its signal I believe (I'm out of practice, sorry). I believe that it's breaking down.
You're not the much out of practice Dale!

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

D.W. Verts

Wizard

Surges, slows, runs good at startup but rough later? Putting aside tach problem---have you done the simple---like changing plugs. I've seen a lot of carb rebuilds done when the problem was the plugs.

Wizard

fergusonarchery

thanks for the responses.  I'm going to replace the stator and will report back with results.

Mike Cork

I had very similar problems on a 2001 Venom (Evinrude) threw a bunch of the normal "tune-up" parts at it, in the end, it was a stator.

Keep us posted.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

bassalive

Gonna throw my 2 cents in, and suggest regulator/rectifier. On those motors there is a grey wire from the reg/rec that goes to tach, the diodes inside the reg/rec may be breaking down. It's getting power through it from the stator but might be starting to go.
It may not giving a consistent charge to the battery as well.....
Cheaper than a stator, and a plug& play fix if this is the culprit....

D.W. Verts

There is another issue that Johnrudes have when it comes to electrical issues- when you fix one issue the next weakest link goes. That includes rectifiers, coils, power packs, etc. All motors can do this, but Johnrudes were always the worst.

If it IS the stator, that's probably the best part to go first.

fergusonarchery

Follow Up... replaced the Stator and went for a test run. All seemed right and boat ran like normal.  Thanks for all the replies. 

Lipripper

Quote from: fergusonarchery on July 31, 2018, 05:29:25 PM
Follow Up... replaced the Stator and went for a test run. All seemed right and boat ran like normal.  Thanks for all the replies. 

I was just thinking about this and glad to see that fixed the problem. Now you can get them Vets out fishing again.  ~c~ ~c~

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Princeton_Man

Quote from: fergusonarchery on July 31, 2018, 05:29:25 PM

Awesome! Fish on!  ~c~

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

D.W. Verts