Godline S Grey????

Started by Szextreme, June 01, 2018, 09:39:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Szextreme

What's good everyone! Sooo I may have done a thing and well I'm not quite sure if its going to be worth it or not. I'm a Braided, Mossy Green, Bank Fisherman 50#-65# die hard since all the ponds I frequent are heavily vegetated. I've recently became bored at work (Yesterday) and decided to find the end of the internet by watching people do what I wish I was doing (Boredom) fishing! I came across the somewhat new on the market Godline S. After a few vids and reviews I pondered on to Amazon and now I am the proud new owner of some 50#x547yd spool of Moss Green for $19.99. So far so good right! Now I start searching 65# but nothing in the colors I want and so there I was facing the decision of Hi-vis yellow, Pink, or Grey.....for $28.99. ~read I clicked a 1094yd spool of 65# grey into the cart and I'm now thinking maybe grey was a bad choice?? I know a lot of people will say put a fluro leader on and deal with it but I like fishing straight braid. Give me some experience on the color if anyone has ventured this route bass fishing. The reason I am somewhat worried about the choice is reading an article about how bass can see black, GREY, and white PRIMARILY!
Semper Fi

the_huber_show

I don't have any experience with braid but I am about to purchase some also from all the reviews I have seen on it.  I currently have a hi vis green and have had a hi vis yellow on my poles.  I think grey would be fine as I know a lot of people throw the black.  I have no experience with that just from what I have seen I would think your fine.
Fishbrain: The_Huber_Show

SteveTX

Look I am a big believer in fish not being as smart as the fisherman. The minute you start thinking a fish is looking at your line and going that's fishing line I'm not going to bite is the minute you lose me.

Fish are only eating, attacking, or defending. It's the way they are wired. If fish were so smart they wouldn't eat 99% of our baits. They would see the hook and say screw that. Not to mention the a-rig or spinnerbaits that are more wire/metal than bait.

Just my opinion you need to gain confidence and the way I gain that is by PMA(positive mental attitude) and fishing. Quit overthinking and being negative. I've caught bass on line so faded it was gray, white, lime, yellow, wire leaders, etc etc. I'm telling you it's presentation not the line that is catching or not catching fish. If you present right that bass don't give a crap about that line.

Just go fishing and quit worrying with the insignificant stuff like color. If the line is strong and works good casting etc that is what matters.

Now I know I'll have some say I'm full of crap and that may be true. However after watching Gerald Swindle and comparing philosophy's I think he and I agree so maybe he's full of shit too. LMAO

Szextreme

SteveTX,

Thanks man kinda my thinking as well! Only one way to find out is do it!
Semper Fi

the_huber_show

Quote from: SteveTX on June 01, 2018, 12:34:55 PM
Look I am a big believer in fish not being as smart as the fisherman. The minute you start thinking a fish is looking at your line and going that's fishing line I'm not going to bite is the minute you lose me.

Fish are only eating, attacking, or defending. It's the way they are wired. If fish were so smart they wouldn't eat 99% of our baits. They would see the hook and say screw that. Not to mention the a-rig or spinnerbaits that are more wire/metal than bait.

Just my opinion you need to gain confidence and the way I gain that is by PMA(positive mental attitude) and fishing. Quit overthinking and being negative. I've caught bass on line so faded it was gray, white, lime, yellow, wire leaders, etc etc. I'm telling you it's presentation not the line that is catching or not catching fish. If you present right that bass don't give a crap about that line.

Just go fishing and quit worrying with the insignificant stuff like color. If the line is strong and works good casting etc that is what matters.

Now I know I'll have some say I'm full of crap and that may be true. However after watching Gerald Swindle and comparing philosophy's I think he and I agree so maybe he's full of shit too. LMAO

Very well put!!  ~c~ ~c~ ~c~ ~c~

zippyduck

And Steve catches a few fish.
Nice write up Steve.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

SteveTX

Speaking of color being a potential issue I find this thread Bass Color Study also to be interesting and may shed more light on how ironic and insignificant it can be. 

Thx fellas hope it helped and yeah Zip I try to catch one here and there.  ;)

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Szextreme on June 01, 2018, 09:39:36 AM
What's good everyone! Sooo I may have done a thing and well I'm not quite sure if its going to be worth it or not. I'm a Braided, Mossy Green, Bank Fisherman 50#-65# die hard since all the ponds I frequent are heavily vegetated. I've recently became bored at work (Yesterday) and decided to find the end of the internet by watching people do what I wish I was doing (Boredom) fishing! I came across the somewhat new on the market Godline S. After a few vids and reviews I pondered on to Amazon and now I am the proud new owner of some 50#x547yd spool of Moss Green for $19.99. So far so good right! Now I start searching 65# but nothing in the colors I want and so there I was facing the decision of Hi-vis yellow, Pink, or Grey.....for $28.99. ~read I clicked a 1094yd spool of 65# grey into the cart and I'm now thinking maybe grey was a bad choice?? I know a lot of people will say put a fluro leader on and deal with it but I like fishing straight braid. Give me some experience on the color if anyone has ventured this route bass fishing. The reason I am somewhat worried about the choice is reading an article about how bass can see black, GREY, and white PRIMARILY!

I fish gin-clear glacial lakes. ALL of my line is hi-vis braid and I have never noticed any difference in the amount of hits I get. I personally don't buy into the whole "fish can be line shy" mentality. Even if they can see it they don't know what it is. And if you think about it many of the food items they eat are some form of white, black or grey or some combination thereof, so even if they recognize the color why would they be afraid of it instead of attracted to it if it resembles a food color?

Just a few things to think about.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Szextreme

Good info guys and I appreciate all the insight! Coming from strictly salt water background and only really into the bass scene here for about 6months it can't hurt to ask! I can't say I buy into everything but Bass guys are known to be a little more picky haha! I remember as a small kid my uncle throwing an absolute tantrum cause I'd knock something on a boat (scaring the fish away)  ~b~ and thats what I remember his quirks and rituals!
Semper Fi

analfisherman

The black, grey, white color talk is about how a bass actually see's the 'contrast' against the background it's in front of.
Many anglers say black  and blue jigs are BEST in dirty water.......and EVEN MORE recommend simply taking a 'Sharpie' and coloring the last 3-5 feet of the braid before the tie point.

I do this........for no other reason than a confidence thing....AND HABIT.
Can't tell you how many times I've cut/broken off the 'blackened' portion on water and I use WHITE BRAID.......continued fishing and never seen ANY difference in the bite.

YET, sure enough......get home, pull out 'Sharpie' and go to coloring the line. ::) ::) ::)

Just a confidence thing with NO REAL purpose other than it can't hurt and it's one less thing for me to use as an excuse why the fish weren't biting and it forces me to concentrate on the important reasons.....PRESENTATION.

And this is coming from an OVERTHINKING dullest hook in the tackle box angler.  ;) :)

"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

Pferox

I don't think I ever tried gray, and to be honest only know of one species of fish that I'm particular about color when targeting, that is Mackerel.  Yea, there is a story coming ...........

Spanish Mackerel (we called them smacks) is the smaller of the species that I used to fish for in Florida when the schools were running.  They are fast and strip line and are just fun, and good eating.  They are fast attackers with sharp teeth, so a standard rig is to use a silver spoon with a dark wire leader about a foot long.  I always have a few rigs ready to tie on when the schools would run along the pier.  There was a guy who made some killer SMACK Spoons which were well worth their $10 each, and they did last a long time, usually.

One day they were running and I quickly tied a rig on to a bass sized rod I had some old 20lb tuff line high viz line spooled on.  Most of the yellow had turned to white.  After loosing two of those expensive to me rigs I started to be concerned that I the line had lived it's course when I actually saw the third strike.......

The fish wasn't even interested in the spoon, but instead was hitting the white line just above the wire leader, it must have been flashing just enough to be more enticing than the spoon.  Of course the toothy critter would run with it a bit and both of us were disappointed when the line would shred into oblivion.

I changed rods to one that had some green mono and finished off the run with a few good eating fish.

Never again did I use anything that had white in it for SMACKS.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Szextreme

Pferox, Now I have this want for some fish spread!
Semper Fi

SFL BassHunter

So have you given the line a try yet? More interested in finding out about how you like Godline braid than the color itself.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

the_huber_show

I ordered some of the Godline S 50lb. and the Godline X8 30lb. yesterday.