Best braid line on the market

Started by Jdog, August 01, 2018, 02:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteelHorseCowboy

Quote from: WTodd on August 26, 2018, 06:06:24 PM
To me it doesn't matter; if their internal processes are that bad all of their products are suspect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've used both, and I feel 832 is vastly superior. See my above pic of the fraying with Performance. Nothing like that happened that easily with the 832, I quite liked it. Noisy, and did fray a bit after it was abused some. But the Performance braid was barely used.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Pferox

I've had my best luck in the abrasive salt with braids that had a "Tracer" in the line.  It was usually some type of different line than the rest that was more abrasive resistant, and was enough to help the total package hold up longer.

IN 832 they call it "Gore" stuff.  I've gone through so many braids that I can't keep the stuff straight anymore. But I will say that two polymers braided together usually work better than one in most abrasive conditions.

Wonder what would happen if some company used like 5 strands of normal braid and brought in two strands of some kind of high abrasive copolymer in the total thing?

"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

FLO GROWN

Power pro and big black sharpie.

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

"Tight lines"

Capt. BassinLou

Another braid I have been throwing for the last few months is Bull Buster Braid in the 40lb variety. 0 complaints, it has served me well and landed me several nice fish with out any issues.

FLO GROWN

Quote from: Bassinlou on September 23, 2018, 06:18:22 PM
Another braid I have been throwing for the last few months is Bull Buster Braid in the 40lb variety. 0 complaints, it has served me well and landed me several nice fish with out any issues.
How would you compare it to power pro Lou?

"Tight lines"

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: FLO GROWN on September 23, 2018, 06:54:19 PM
How would you compare it to power pro Lou?

Equal to

Pferox

Quote from: Bassinlou on September 23, 2018, 06:18:22 PM

I've used my share of Bull Buster braid too, 20 to 50lb and it is one of my go to brands of braid.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

FLO GROWN

I've been pretty happy with power pro very affordable and available, color fades pretty quickly but nothing a big sharpie can't fix,I see they are coming out with new  Power Pro Super8Slick V2 Braided Line looking forward to trying that.

"Tight lines"

merc1997

Quote from: FLO GROWN on September 23, 2018, 07:52:27 PM
I've been pretty happy with power pro very affordable and available, color fades pretty quickly but nothing a big sharpie can't fix,I see they are coming out with new  Power Pro Super8Slick V2 Braided Line looking forward to trying that.

so, what difference in your opinion does line fade make to the bass??

bo
On Heaven's Lake

1ReelFanatik

First braid I ever used was 40# Sufix Performance on a Gen 1 STX.  This reel made the trip to Florida with me for several years.  Didn't see much use locally.  I had to change it out after 4 years because a day of fishing a 3/4 oz. spoon tied direct twisted it so bad I couldn't use the line anymore.  Local Walmart only had a couple brands so I picked up a spool of 40# Original PowerPro.  Man is that stuff noisy going through the guides.  I never noticed any fraying with the Performance and it was what I used for throwing into lily pads and other garbage.  It did turn almost white.

I've also used 30# 832 for the same thing.  Came on a used reel and I had to spend a few minutes getting line dig ins out.  I personally haven't had a problem with dig ins since, and I've been snagged on a lily pad several times with it.

I've picked up some Fins to try.  Have 60# Original PRT on my dedicated frog rod.  Put 5# Windtamer on my Ned rod.  What I noticed with the 5# after just a little fishing time is it requires a leader.  The end frayed rather quickly in wood.  I imagine that is to be expected with that light of a braid.

Daiwa Samurai is a soft braid.  It is thinner than some braids for its rating.  I have it in 55# and have had no problems with it digging in or fraying.  Being soft, it is quiet.

I don't use much braid.  I prefer a mono or co-polymer most of the time.

Pferox

Quote from: merc1997 on September 23, 2018, 08:20:40 PM

bo

I remember a time when "economy" braids were colorless (white) even some brands of monos were sold that way too, came out about the time that "Generic" brands were the rage.  Lots of people either fished with that pre-faded stuff or was very busy with a magic marker, I guess.

coldfront

Quote from: SteelHorseCowboy on August 02, 2018, 07:16:31 AM
So now I'm trying Sufix Performance braid, Y6. Seems like a different manufacturing method? I think it's six strands and they're woven under heat, slightly melting them together or something?

I don't know, but if I like it at the end of the year as much as I do now, it may be what I end up sticking with. Again, pretty sensitive line, and seems to hold up well so far, but I've only been using it a couple weeks.

cowboy, I too use/like the suffix performance braid.  832 came out as the new/improved.  doesn't sound like that's been your eperience.  I never left performance braid.  why try to improve on perfection?   lo

also, I fish 30# test braid.  tried 50.  could not accept the lost distance on cast. 
30 on baitcasting
12 on spinning.

going on 3 years now without replacing.  don't mind the faded color at all.  just another way to get 'high vis' without spending $$ for it.  (hearin' me Lip?)

SteelHorseCowboy

Yeah, the Performance braid didn't work out for me. I really hoped it would, I'm not really a brand loyalist but I've really liked a lot of Sufix stuff.
Power Pro though... I just can't find any fault with it, except it'll twist up like crazy on my spinning reels.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Oldfart9999

bo

I'm not sure it makes any difference, should probably try it enough to see. I just carry a Magic Marker, cut a "V" in the end and color my line, confidence deal. What have you found Bo?
The best braid is what you use and feel happy with.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

coldfront

Quote from: SteelHorseCowboy on October 01, 2018, 05:25:03 PM
Yeah, the Performance braid didn't work out for me. I really hoped it would, I'm not really a brand loyalist but I've really liked a lot of Sufix stuff.
Power Pro though... I just can't find any fault with it, except it'll twist up like crazy on my spinning reels.

I swear Steel, if I were to buy a ford pick up I'd never be happy with it and it'd always be breaking down on me.  Hear same experiences from some folks who can't seem to run chevy's.

might be that the products are so close in reality that it's really hard to get consistency differences.  but one/two experiences is all it takes.

SteelHorseCowboy

Oh man, that's a whole nother can of worms...
I just spent ten minutes writing a long rant about trucks, then deleted it all cause we s'posed to be talkin bout fishin line.
I'll just say this: I ain't fond of Ford trucks either, not any built in about the past 10-15 years or so.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

merc1997

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on October 02, 2018, 08:05:48 AM
I'm not sure it makes any difference, should probably try it enough to see. I just carry a Magic Marker, cut a "V" in the end and color my line, confidence deal. What have you found Bo?
The best braid is what you use and feel happy with.
Rodney
i have not found that line color makes any difference.  line size does because if can affect the action of a lure, but more important is the sink rate.

i use hi-vis yellow.

bo
On Heaven's Lake

Oldfart9999

Quote from: merc1997 on October 03, 2018, 09:09:28 AM
i have not found that line color makes any difference.  line size does because if can affect the action of a lure, but more important is the sink rate.

i use hi-vis yellow.

bo

I've slowly been switching to hi vis, done it on a couple of outfits, seems to not matter but I really haven't done it enough to say for certain. I suppose I could use the marker on a few feet of the line if I think the color bothers the fish but I need checkout the need.  Thanks for the answer Bo.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Captsteve

bo
I bet they don't care

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Steve
Headed for the Lake

Pferox

bo

I think it makes them feel sorry for you because you can't afford brand spanking new braid and because of that they strike at your lure more often.  Hows that sound?   :-*

CybrSlydr

I'm a fan of 832.  Only used the smaller offerings on my spinning setups like 10-12lb. 

Once I get used to my first baitcaster, I think I'm going to change up to 30# or some.  I've already ruined a whole spool of 832 15# without even casting once.  I hit the thumb release and let the lure hit the ground and had a massive birdsnest I had to cut off.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Jordan

Bud Kennedy

Quote from: CybrSlydr on October 15, 2018, 12:46:54 PM
I'm a fan of 832.  Only used the smaller offerings on my spinning setups like 10-12lb. 

Once I get used to my first baitcaster, I think I'm going to change up to 30# or some.  I've already ruined a whole spool of 832 15# without even casting once.  I hit the thumb release and let the lure hit the ground and had a massive birdsnest I had to cut off.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Let me get this straight.  Are you saying you put on a whole spool of line on your baitcaster?  What kind of baitcaster are you using. and what brake settings are you using.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on October 15, 2018, 12:56:29 PM
Let me get this straight.  Are you saying you put on a whole spool of line on your baitcaster?  What kind of baitcaster are you using. and what brake settings are you using.

Its 15# Bud, about the same diameter as 4lb mono.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Bud Kennedy

Yep I realize that but do you need to put on 150 or 300 yd

CybrSlydr

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on October 15, 2018, 12:56:29 PM

When I bought the reel, the shop offered to spool it for free if I bought the line.  I wanted to buy line anyway, so they put on however much 15# Suffix 832 fits on the Curado DC.

I then took it fishing and, while not thinking, hit the thumb release and watched the lure fall and hit the ground.  Of course, it then overran and birdsnested like crazy.

I had to cut the whole thing off.  Not sure how much is left on the actual line spool, but the Curado DC spool was completely ruined.

I never even got to make a single cast with it before I ruined it.  lol
Jordan