Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: choices for Carolina Rig  (Read 347 times)

78Staff

• Smallmouth
choices for Carolina Rig
« on: August 02, 2018, 10:55:44 AM »

So, don't do much Carolina Rig fishing, thus don't have one of the more CR specific rogs, ie 764/804.

But, have been advised will be doing a lot of CR at an upcoming event, so looking for best alternative I have.  Typically I would assume pick a jig rod and go, such as the DX744/745 or 746 even... but I also have Champ 705 and 734 to choose from as well...  Thinking pick a 5 power and have at it?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 11:34:14 AM by 78Staff »

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
  • Get the Net it's a Hawg
    • Ultimate Bass
Re: choices for Carolina Rig
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 11:53:14 AM »

I have used the 745 many times and it's worked great. A lot of guys like the 8-foot rods because they can take up a lot of line very quickly with it. You'll have to play the bite, but I normally reel as fast as I can until the rod loads with the fish and then set the hook and don't have a problem.

Use at least a 7 to 1 reel and the five power and you'll be good to go. Anything heavier will probably hamper casting distance, especially in a 7 footer.
Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

78Staff

• Smallmouth
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 07:57:59 PM »

Thanks, yeah I am thinking the 745 will do the trick fine :).

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 11:41:38 AM »

It will, the sensitivity might drive you nuts though... Dragging a big weight will telegraph a lot of info and a rod as sensitive as the 745 is going to make sure you feel every bit of it.

Cork's Reel Service

Jdog

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 10:16:23 AM »

764 & 804

Gary Dobyns

• Sponsors
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 10:57:56 AM »

First off. Lots of rods will work for C-Rig. Anything over 7'3" I think is better. Here's our best 3 sellers.

Champ 764C- Great rod and very versatile. Used to be a top 3 seller before the company grew and added a ton more models. It was the first model we ever ran out of. I'd highly recommend this model for the west and upper mid-west, plus any lakes without a lot of wood to deal with. I've caught thousands of blade fish on this rod as well. Just a sweet, balanced, and sensitive model.

Champ 804C - This model was made straight up for Lake Fork TX and surrounding lakes as most anglers in this area fish extremely long leaders (6' to 7' is normal). The 8 foot rod lets you cast these long leaders. Because this rod was made for TX style lakes that are infested with trees, I made it with a bit more power. Big fish and lots of trees is a bad receipt :)  This rod is very popular in TX and LA. This model is not super versatile but many guys like to use it as a light bait and lighter cover Flippin Stick and it works well for it. It's not a heavy cover flippin stick!!

DX 784C- This rod is also super popular C-Rig rod at 7'8". It fishes a lot like the Champ 764C but it retails for $100 more. This is our best selling C-Rig rod for the company. The rod is totally bad a$$ but lacks the power of 804C Champ. For TX area I don't think it's the best rod even though we have lots of guys using them there. I also don't think it's as overall versatile as the 764C Champ. I'm also out of stock on this model but will have back in soon.

Sorry, looks like I got carried away here :):)

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2018, 10:37:20 AM »

Thank You Gary, awesome information. I should pin this one to the top so we don't lose it. :toot:

Cork's Reel Service
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 26 queries.