choices for Carolina Rig

Started by 78Staff, August 02, 2018, 10:55:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

78Staff

So, don't do much Carolina Rig fishing, thus don't have one of the more CR specific rogs, ie 764/804.

But, have been advised will be doing a lot of CR at an upcoming event, so looking for best alternative I have.  Typically I would assume pick a jig rod and go, such as the DX744/745 or 746 even... but I also have Champ 705 and 734 to choose from as well...  Thinking pick a 5 power and have at it?

Mike Cork

I have used the 745 many times and it's worked great. A lot of guys like the 8-foot rods because they can take up a lot of line very quickly with it. You'll have to play the bite, but I normally reel as fast as I can until the rod loads with the fish and then set the hook and don't have a problem.

Use at least a 7 to 1 reel and the five power and you'll be good to go. Anything heavier will probably hamper casting distance, especially in a 7 footer.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

78Staff

Thanks, yeah I am thinking the 745 will do the trick fine :).

Mike Cork

It will, the sensitivity might drive you nuts though... Dragging a big weight will telegraph a lot of info and a rod as sensitive as the 745 is going to make sure you feel every bit of it.

Cork's Reel Service

Jdog

Gary Dobyns

First off. Lots of rods will work for C-Rig. Anything over 7'3" I think is better. Here's our best 3 sellers.

Champ 764C- Great rod and very versatile. Used to be a top 3 seller before the company grew and added a ton more models. It was the first model we ever ran out of. I'd highly recommend this model for the west and upper mid-west, plus any lakes without a lot of wood to deal with. I've caught thousands of blade fish on this rod as well. Just a sweet, balanced, and sensitive model.

Champ 804C - This model was made straight up for Lake Fork TX and surrounding lakes as most anglers in this area fish extremely long leaders (6' to 7' is normal). The 8 foot rod lets you cast these long leaders. Because this rod was made for TX style lakes that are infested with trees, I made it with a bit more power. Big fish and lots of trees is a bad receipt :)  This rod is very popular in TX and LA. This model is not super versatile but many guys like to use it as a light bait and lighter cover Flippin Stick and it works well for it. It's not a heavy cover flippin stick!!

DX 784C- This rod is also super popular C-Rig rod at 7'8". It fishes a lot like the Champ 764C but it retails for $100 more. This is our best selling C-Rig rod for the company. The rod is totally bad a$$ but lacks the power of 804C Champ. For TX area I don't think it's the best rod even though we have lots of guys using them there. I also don't think it's as overall versatile as the 764C Champ. I'm also out of stock on this model but will have back in soon.

Sorry, looks like I got carried away here :):)

Mike Cork

Thank You Gary, awesome information. I should pin this one to the top so we don't lose it. :toot:

Cork's Reel Service