Would you buy a boat without a motor

Started by TNDiver, August 02, 2018, 12:21:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TNDiver

Just found a 2005 Starcraft deck boat.  Pretty much has everything I want for $8500, but there is no motor.  Has live well, hook up for trolling motor and fish finder.  The guy will sell it with a Honda 130 HP but he says it is rated for 150-200.  The price with the 130 motor is $13,500.  He has the original 200 in the shop but it won't be until winter before his guy can get to it.  Says it has a ticking noise the guy needs to investigate.

I haven't looked at the boat or trailer yet because it is about an hour away.  Do you think it is worth the drive??  Would you get it without the motor and get a different one?  I am interested in your thoughts as this is my first time buying a boat and I know the motor is very critical and the biggest cost.  Any advice would be appreciated
There is nothing like sharing any moment outdoors with someone special!

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus

Princeton_Man

As long as the boat passes your thorough inspection but, unless you have already have a motor in the garage that matches what came off.... but check the bluebook and kbb values.

I would never consider under powering it. Keep in mind that buying or mounting a different motor will mean buying different rigging if it's a different brand. Everything including the controls, gauges, wiring harness. Honda is different from Merc and Rudes are different from Yammies, and so on.

I have a friend who buys boats without motors or with blown motors and he usually buys them pretty cheap. The most he'll pay about half of what the rig would be worth if it had a good motor and trailer. Buying used motors will always involve some risk. Let's say you buy a good used/rebuilt 200. Probably a minimum of $5k. Assuming it works with the existing rigging and mounted for free, you're at $13,500. That's a lot of extra work if you aren't getting a heck of a deal.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Mike Cork

It would depend on your position and if the price is right. First thought is, resale will be near impossible without a motor. So if it's a boat you're going to keep and work on and fix up then it comes down to price.

Are you saving some money by buying it without a motor? A 2005 is 13 years old, not many boats with motors are going to be worth much more than $8500. Just seems a little high to me. Keep in mind you'll have to get the motor at a deal as well and then install, it's either your time or paying someone to do it.

I don't know the model, size or any of the details but a starcraft 18 foot classic model retailed at about 6k. So the price could be close depending on model, options, condition...

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

TNDiver

Yeah that was one thing I worried about is how a motor hooks up to what is already the boat.  I assumed it would be universal, but you never know.

It is a 2005 Starcraft Aurora 2010 deck boat.  So it is 20 feet long and deck boats around here keep their value.  But yeah, I have seen them around $13 - $20,000 with a motor.  I am wondering if I can get the guy to come down in the price of the boat without the motor or see what it would take to fix the 200 motor that was with it.

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus

Princeton_Man

Quote from: TNDiver on August 02, 2018, 12:58:48 PM
Yeah that was one thing I worried about is how a motor hooks up to what is already the boat.  I assumed it would be universal, but you never know.

It is a 2005 Starcraft Aurora 2010 deck boat.  So it is 20 feet long and deck boats around here keep their value.  But yeah, I have seen them around $13 - $20,000 with a motor.  I am wondering if I can get the guy to come down in the price of the boat without the motor or see what it would take to fix the 200 motor that was with it.
I just did a quick BlueBook value. http://www.nadaguides.com/Boats/2005/Starcraft-Co/AURORA-2010/10224757/Values , I'd back away.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

basss

My advice as a first time boat buyer ... buy it all in one piece.  Piecing together your first boat may be too much.
1995 Gheenoe Highsider
2018 12' Bote HD Paddleboard

Bud Kennedy

Same as Princeton Man.  The price is not right given the overall condition and motor status.  I would certain keep looking.  You are coming into prime time to consider a boat purchase.  I certainly would wait until "The ONE"  show up on your radar.

Mike Cork

Didn't even think about it but Bud is absolutely right, it's a buyers market starting about opening day of Dove Season :-* Which is just around the corner. Boats will hit the market cheap. All those guys that promised mama it would be gone before Christmas will have "Got To Go" signs hanging on their rigs.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

TNDiver

THanks, another question how do you rate NADA Guide prices?  It shows low and average.  Is it like KBB where you won't get that much?  When deciding to sell a boat do you look at the NADA average and knock some off?  How do you know if you are getting a good deal based on NADA???

Princeton_Man

Quote from: TNDiver on August 02, 2018, 08:53:54 PM
THanks, another question how do you rate NADA Guide prices?  It shows low and average.  Is it like KBB where you won't get that much?  When deciding to sell a boat do you look at the NADA average and knock some off?  How do you know if you are getting a good deal based on NADA???
For me, I consider their low and high retail numbers a ballpark not a Bible and you have to remember that price range is for a boat in good condition, not a fixer upper. I also search Boat Trader, Craigslist, and the internet in general. In doing searches, I don't limit the distance because many people will travel hundreds of miles to buy the boat they're looking for.

Sent you a PM.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Oldfart9999

I did, a 14 foot tin, then bought and rebuilt the trailer then bought the motor but that's peanuts compared to what you're contemplating. Doesn't sound like a great deal to me.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

basss

So .... did you go look at it this weekend?
1995 Gheenoe Highsider

TNDiver

I have been looking but getting more selective.  Have been busy too, which doesn't help.  I have found a couple, but like Mike said, prices will probably drop in a month once the boating season is over and they are looking to get rid of the boat before Christmas! 

I also need to get my hitch finished up.  I have one bolt that won't go in and probably have to retap it.

basss

I try to buy my boats in the winter too.  Not many boat buyers in winter.
1995 Gheenoe Highsider

ItsJason

*disclaimer* I have a kayak and no little about motor boats

But...
I dont think I'd buy a nice type used boat without being able to properly inspect things on the water first.
Kinda like buying a car that isnt old yet doesn't run.
Theres no telling what else might be wrong with it that can be hidden by not being able to put it in the water and run it a bit. A visual inspection only goes so far.
An old boat that you are planning on fixing up or restoring sure, as you are already willing to put work in to it. But a newer one you're hoping to get out on the water pretty much right away with? Nope. Like buying a used car without a test drive.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

TNDiver

good point Jason!  I have found a few, and a couple that I like, but they were Tahoe's which I have heard to stay away from, however, it sounds like they have kept up on maintenance, which I also hear is a big deal.  Boat prices are at a premium right now because people can still get out on the water.  I live a block from Old Hickory and 15 minutes from Piercy Priest, so there are plenty of boats in the area to choose from and my guess is once football gets started for real, both college and pro, more boats will hit the market.

I am also holding out for one that is already set up for fishing, with a trolling motor, and hopefully fish finder.  I just have to resist the urge to go crazy and buy something my gut is saying no just to want to get on the water LOL

ItsJason

Quote from: TNDiver on August 10, 2018, 08:47:27 AM
good point Jason!  I have found a few, and a couple that I like, but they were Tahoe's which I have heard to stay away from, however, it sounds like they have kept up on maintenance, which I also hear is a big deal.  Boat prices are at a premium right now because people can still get out on the water.  I live a block from Old Hickory and 15 minutes from Piercy Priest, so there are plenty of boats in the area to choose from and my guess is once football gets started for real, both college and pro, more boats will hit the market.

I am also holding out for one that is already set up for fishing, with a trolling motor, and hopefully fish finder.  I just have to resist the urge to go crazy and buy something my gut is saying no just to want to get on the water LOL
Always, ALWAYS listen to your gut!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk