Its time to put some electronics on the boat

Started by Pipepro, August 04, 2018, 03:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pipepro

I have had my boat for 1 year now. When I purchased the boat it only came with a Hook3 on the console and nothing on the bow. I didnt want to finance extras and I dont know how to use them anyway so it wasnt a big deal.

After fishing for a bit last fall, I ended up getting a tablet and the Navionics app. It really helped me locate points and transitions on the water, and also helped me scope out a new lake before fishing it.

However, after a year of beating the bank, flipping and pitching to visible cover, and constantly asking my co angler the water depth its time to do something about it.

Features I think I would like are:

1.Networked console and bow units, so I can drop waypoints from the drivers seat and have them show up on my bow unit later.

2. Large enough screen for my old eyes to see. I am thinking minimum 9" on the bow, and 10 or 12 on the dash.

3. Side scan and down imaging, along with GPS.  I dont think I need 360 or the newest Garmin live scope. I would like to be able to spend some time motoring around on the lakes, marking weed lines and some deeper interesting structure, and then be able to return to it later. 

4. Touch screen, at least on the console, not a deal breaker but would be more intuitive for me.

I dont know about mixing and matching different models within a brand. Can I use a Solix 12 with side imaging on the dash, and then have the waypoints show up on a lower cost bow unit with only chirp and GPS?

I know its a lot of questions, I have been reading a ton on here and on some other forums.  Lets hear what you guys think, am I way off point or close enough to get started.

Are there places you can go where the sales people actually know how these units are set up and which transducers and networking cables you will need? I would gladly drive to someplace with a knowledgeable staff/person to get this setup right the first time.

Thanks in advance!
2017 Stratos 186 VLO 115 SHO

Wayne P.

Quote from: Pipepro on August 04, 2018, 03:58:17 PM
I have had my boat for 1 year now. When I purchased the boat it only came with a Hook3 on the console and nothing on the bow. I didnt want to finance extras and I dont know how to use them anyway so it wasnt a big deal.

After fishing for a bit last fall, I ended up getting a tablet and the Navionics app. It really helped me locate points and transitions on the water, and also helped me scope out a new lake before fishing it.

However, after a year of beating the bank, flipping and pitching to visible cover, and constantly asking my co angler the water depth its time to do something about it.

Features I think I would like are:

1.Networked console and bow units, so I can drop waypoints from the drivers seat and have them show up on my bow unit later.

2. Large enough screen for my old eyes to see. I am thinking minimum 9" on the bow, and 10 or 12 on the dash.

3. Side scan and down imaging, along with GPS.  I dont think I need 360 or the newest Garmin live scope. I would like to be able to spend some time motoring around on the lakes, marking weed lines and some deeper interesting structure, and then be able to return to it later. 

4. Touch screen, at least on the console, not a deal breaker but would be more intuitive for me.

I dont know about mixing and matching different models within a brand. Can I use a Solix 12 with side imaging on the dash, and then have the waypoints show up on a lower cost bow unit with only chirp and GPS?

I know its a lot of questions, I have been reading a ton on here and on some other forums.  Lets hear what you guys think, am I way off point or close enough to get started.

Are there places you can go where the sales people actually know how these units are set up and which transducers and networking cables you will need? I would gladly drive to someplace with a knowledgeable staff/person to get this setup right the first time.

Thanks in advance!

Using a SOLIX, you can share waypoints with any Humminbird unit that has an Ethernet connection.

If you get the same model series you can share a lot more than just waypoints.
Helix/Helix or SOLIX/SOLIX.
Humminbird SOLIX 12 SI, SOLIX 12 SI G3, SOLIX 10 SI G3, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N, Helix 12 CHIRP SI+ GPS G3N, Helix 12 CHIRP SI+ GPS G4N, Helix 10 CHIRP DI+ GPS G3N, Helix 8 CHIRP SI+ GPS G4N, Helix 7 CHIRP SI GPS G3, MEGA 360, MEGA LIVE TL

Pipepro

Thanks for the reply Wayne. It was your advice that led me to the Samsung tablet with the Navionics app. So far it has exceeded my expectations.

I have been doing more reading here and there, and I like your idea of 2 side by side 12" units, for Left and Right side imaging. Totally cool. Way out of my price point but a very creative idea.

CaptainSolo

You definitely also want to look into a mapping card for whatever unit you get.  If i recall correctly, you can share map cards on two Solix units, but you cant share them on Helix units at all. 

I would suggest either Navionics+ Regions or Hotmaps Platinum cards for whatever you buy.  If you buy different brands, you can use navionics card across the different brands. 

Pipepro

Quote from: CaptainSolo on August 08, 2018, 04:02:29 PM
You definitely also want to look into a mapping card for whatever unit you get.  If i recall correctly, you can share map cards on two Solix units, but you cant share them on Helix units at all. 

I would suggest either Navionics+ Regions or Hotmaps Platinum cards for whatever you buy.  If you buy different brands, you can use navionics card across the different brands.

Thats a very good point. I do like the Navionics features on the app so Id like to keep on with them when I get my units.

I have been doing my research, and so far it makes the most sense to stay with 2 of the same series units, solix/solix or  Carbon/Carbon, just to ensure they will communicate correctly. I wont be buying anything this fall, so Ill get hands on time at the spring fishing shows etc. There is a guide near me that offers electronics training time, and I am thinking of scheduling some time with him. It would be nice to see how someone who uses his graphs everyday utilizes the features vs my guess as to how I am going to use them.

Thanks for the input!

Wayne P.

Quote from: Pipepro on August 08, 2018, 04:42:19 PM
Thats a very good point. I do like the Navionics features on the app so Id like to keep on with them when I get my units.

I have been doing my research, and so far it makes the most sense to stay with 2 of the same series units, solix/solix or  Carbon/Carbon, just to ensure they will communicate correctly. I wont be buying anything this fall, so Ill get hands on time at the spring fishing shows etc. There is a guide near me that offers electronics training time, and I am thinking of scheduling some time with him. It would be nice to see how someone who uses his graphs everyday utilizes the features vs my guess as to how I am going to use them.

Thanks for the input!

The Navionics Mobile App "features" like depth offset, depth highlighting, fishing mode, the new shaded depth, etc) do not work with Humminbird units. Some may work with Lowrance units.
Humminbird SOLIX 12 SI, SOLIX 12 SI G3, SOLIX 10 SI G3, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N, Helix 12 CHIRP SI+ GPS G3N, Helix 12 CHIRP SI+ GPS G4N, Helix 10 CHIRP DI+ GPS G3N, Helix 8 CHIRP SI+ GPS G4N, Helix 7 CHIRP SI GPS G3, MEGA 360, MEGA LIVE TL

Pipepro

Wayne,

No kidding?

Im surprised. I guess I need to do more reading. I do like the navionics app, but I really want to be able to use side scan and mark waypoints on the image and have them show up on the map. Its the only way it makes any sense to me, marking waypoints to fish, and knowing where I need to position the boat to effectively fish them.

I guess its no biggie if I dont use the App as much once I get some units on the boat, Ill still use it to pre fish, and for making my plan the night before.

Wayne P.

Quote from: Pipepro on August 08, 2018, 07:16:01 PM
Wayne,

No kidding?

Im surprised. I guess I need to do more reading. I do like the navionics app, but I really want to be able to use side scan and mark waypoints on the image and have them show up on the map. Its the only way it makes any sense to me, marking waypoints to fish, and knowing where I need to position the boat to effectively fish them.

I guess its no biggie if I dont use the App as much once I get some units on the boat, Ill still use it to pre fish, and for making my plan the night before.

You can stop the screen scrolling with Side Imaging, move the curser to a subject and mark a waypoint. That has zero do it with any mapping. Waypoints are GPS data, not map data. Mapping is just a background on the plotter view. You can do the same with Lakemaster, or Humminbird basemap, or no map background. Mapping not GPS and GPS is not mapping.

3deez

your eyes are much closer to the console screen so I would put the larger unit on the bow. on the other hand, if you are constantly in split screen, the larger unit on the console might be better. I have two 9" units and it works for me.
2017 Crestliner PT18 Mercury 150 hp Pro XS
Minn Kota 80lb Fortrex
10' Talon

Msn26753

I know this post is a few weeks old but, wanted to put my 2 cents in on a few things.. If you want a Down Image/ Sonar then without a doubt, get a Raymarine Dragonfly series.. Their Downimage is crystal clear...And It doesnt break the bank either.. Now the SideImageing is a different story, Raymarine has the side imaging, but not within my budget.. I have the Raymarine on my trolling motor and I have a Garmin 7608 on the back.. It does me good, but I think they need more work on their side and down imaging.. The reason I went with Garmin is they are excelling in the Live View and forward scan technology... Someday, when i win the Prettiest man alive award, Im gonna buy me a live view... lol
I cant speak for Humminbird or Lowrance, other then They are all good, and all have their pros and cons, but I can tell you what I like, and dont like about my units..

Pipepro

Quote from: 3deez on August 09, 2018, 08:53:03 AM
your eyes are much closer to the console screen so I would put the larger unit on the bow. on the other hand, if you are constantly in split screen, the larger unit on the console might be better. I have two 9" units and it works for me.

Very good point. I was just reading an article on Bassmaster where a guy redid all the electronics on his boat. He put 2 Helix 10's at the console, and then a Helix 12 on the bow. He used a Deck it mount to bring it up closer to his eyes in addition to customizing it for a little extra height.

That makes sense to me, considering the amount of time Ill be spending on the front deck.

I dont think I am going to be split screening too much, I plan on keeping my tablet for my navionics app for contour reference, and the console unit will be mostly side scan, some down imaging.

Quote from: Msn26753 on August 17, 2018, 01:36:50 PM
I know this post is a few weeks old but, wanted to put my 2 cents in on a few things.. If you want a Down Image/ Sonar then without a doubt, get a Raymarine Dragonfly series.. Their Downimage is crystal clear...And It doesnt break the bank either.. Now the SideImageing is a different story, Raymarine has the side imaging, but not within my budget.. I have the Raymarine on my trolling motor and I have a Garmin 7608 on the back.. It does me good, but I think they need more work on their side and down imaging.. The reason I went with Garmin is they are excelling in the Live View and forward scan technology... Someday, when i win the Prettiest man alive award, Im gonna buy me a live view... lol
I cant speak for Humminbird or Lowrance, other then They are all good, and all have their pros and cons, but I can tell you what I like, and dont like about my units..

Never too late for a reply. I have not looked at the Raymarine stuff. Ill check out what they are offering. Thanks for the heads up!

basss

I vote for the Helix units.  I have two myself, one at the bow and one at the console.  Very easy to use and set up.  The new ones have an auto mapping feature that maps a lake for you live.  Good for new bodies of water, I would think.
1995 Gheenoe Highsider
2018 12' Bote HD Paddleboard

bassmanstan

The Garmin echo map plus units are awesome, I recently put a 9sv on the consol, and man are they sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WTodd

My Nitro came with the Lowrance Elite 7 TI on the bow and the Hook 5 on the console. I just replaced the Hook 5 with another Elite 7 TI and had ethernetted together. These units actually meet all of your wants except for maybe size but they come in bigger screen sizes. I like the touchscreen because it makes finding things a lot faster for us electronic rookies. I'm never going to be an electronics pro and that's Ok as long as I can use it to make me better.

Oldfart9999

Quote from: WTodd on September 02, 2018, 05:07:51 AM
I'm never going to be an electronics pro and that's Ok as long as I can use it to make me better.

If you learn to use all that the Elite is capable of you will become an electronics pro.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

WTodd

You're probably right; mapping and trying to figure out what's on the sonar are at the top of the list

Pipepro

One of the cool features of the TI series is the ability for me to connect my tablet to it. Using the GoFree app you can have control of the unit from the tablet, as well as viewing the same screens.

I am leaning towards one of those units on my dash, and just connecting my tablet to use at the bow.

One of my questions about connecting the tablet is this,

Connecting my tablet to the unit through the gofree app, will I be able to also connect sonar charts live through my navionics app at the same time? Or is it one or the other, not at the same time.

I may find that I dont use the navionics app as much once I get a dedicated unit installed in the boat, and just go with a map data card. Since the waypoints will be stored in the main unit, Ill just be mirroring that screen on my tablet at the bow.

WTodd

I downloaded that app to my IPhone but I'm not sure what it's supposed to do; it doesn't "go" anywhere nor are there any radio buttons to view anything