Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

I am personally getting tired of spammers! We will be aggressively blocking IP addresses  from here on out. If you find yourself  blocked call 318-347-7380 and we will work to correct the issue. Thank you!

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Its time to put some electronics on the boat  (Read 155 times)

Pipepro

• Charter Member
  • Welding fool
Its time to put some electronics on the boat
« on: August 04, 2018, 03:58:17 PM »

I have had my boat for 1 year now. When I purchased the boat it only came with a Hook3 on the console and nothing on the bow. I didnt want to finance extras and I dont know how to use them anyway so it wasnt a big deal.

After fishing for a bit last fall, I ended up getting a tablet and the Navionics app. It really helped me locate points and transitions on the water, and also helped me scope out a new lake before fishing it.

However, after a year of beating the bank, flipping and pitching to visible cover, and constantly asking my co angler the water depth its time to do something about it.

Features I think I would like are:

1.Networked console and bow units, so I can drop waypoints from the drivers seat and have them show up on my bow unit later.

2. Large enough screen for my old eyes to see. I am thinking minimum 9" on the bow, and 10 or 12 on the dash.

3. Side scan and down imaging, along with GPS.  I dont think I need 360 or the newest Garmin live scope. I would like to be able to spend some time motoring around on the lakes, marking weed lines and some deeper interesting structure, and then be able to return to it later. 

4. Touch screen, at least on the console, not a deal breaker but would be more intuitive for me.

I dont know about mixing and matching different models within a brand. Can I use a Solix 12 with side imaging on the dash, and then have the waypoints show up on a lower cost bow unit with only chirp and GPS?

I know its a lot of questions, I have been reading a ton on here and on some other forums.  Lets hear what you guys think, am I way off point or close enough to get started.

Are there places you can go where the sales people actually know how these units are set up and which transducers and networking cables you will need? I would gladly drive to someplace with a knowledgeable staff/person to get this setup right the first time.

Thanks in advance!
2017 Stratos 186 VLO 115 SHO

Wayne P.

• Largemouth
  • I'm Wacky about Wacky
Re: Its time to put some electronics on the boat
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 06:39:03 PM »

I have had my boat for 1 year now. When I purchased the boat it only came with a Hook3 on the console and nothing on the bow. I didnt want to finance extras and I dont know how to use them anyway so it wasnt a big deal.

After fishing for a bit last fall, I ended up getting a tablet and the Navionics app. It really helped me locate points and transitions on the water, and also helped me scope out a new lake before fishing it.

However, after a year of beating the bank, flipping and pitching to visible cover, and constantly asking my co angler the water depth its time to do something about it.

Features I think I would like are:

1.Networked console and bow units, so I can drop waypoints from the drivers seat and have them show up on my bow unit later.

2. Large enough screen for my old eyes to see. I am thinking minimum 9" on the bow, and 10 or 12 on the dash.

3. Side scan and down imaging, along with GPS.  I dont think I need 360 or the newest Garmin live scope. I would like to be able to spend some time motoring around on the lakes, marking weed lines and some deeper interesting structure, and then be able to return to it later. 

4. Touch screen, at least on the console, not a deal breaker but would be more intuitive for me.

I dont know about mixing and matching different models within a brand. Can I use a Solix 12 with side imaging on the dash, and then have the waypoints show up on a lower cost bow unit with only chirp and GPS?

I know its a lot of questions, I have been reading a ton on here and on some other forums.  Lets hear what you guys think, am I way off point or close enough to get started.

Are there places you can go where the sales people actually know how these units are set up and which transducers and networking cables you will need? I would gladly drive to someplace with a knowledgeable staff/person to get this setup right the first time.

Thanks in advance!

Using a SOLIX, you can share waypoints with any Humminbird unit that has an Ethernet connection.

If you get the same model series you can share a lot more than just waypoints.
Helix/Helix or SOLIX/SOLIX.
Humminbird 1198c SI--Bow 360
Humminbird 1198c SI,  Humminbird Helix 12 CHIRP SI GPS, Helix 7 CHIRP SI GPS G2
Humminbird ONIX 10 SI NT, SOLIX 12 SI

Pipepro

• Charter Member
  • Welding fool
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 07:22:03 AM »

Thanks for the reply Wayne. It was your advice that led me to the Samsung tablet with the Navionics app. So far it has exceeded my expectations.

I have been doing more reading here and there, and I like your idea of 2 side by side 12" units, for Left and Right side imaging. Totally cool. Way out of my price point but a very creative idea.

CaptainSolo

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 04:02:29 PM »

You definitely also want to look into a mapping card for whatever unit you get.  If i recall correctly, you can share map cards on two Solix units, but you cant share them on Helix units at all. 

I would suggest either Navionics+ Regions or Hotmaps Platinum cards for whatever you buy.  If you buy different brands, you can use navionics card across the different brands. 

Pipepro

• Charter Member
  • Welding fool
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 04:42:19 PM »

You definitely also want to look into a mapping card for whatever unit you get.  If i recall correctly, you can share map cards on two Solix units, but you cant share them on Helix units at all. 

I would suggest either Navionics+ Regions or Hotmaps Platinum cards for whatever you buy.  If you buy different brands, you can use navionics card across the different brands.

Thats a very good point. I do like the Navionics features on the app so Id like to keep on with them when I get my units.

I have been doing my research, and so far it makes the most sense to stay with 2 of the same series units, solix/solix or  Carbon/Carbon, just to ensure they will communicate correctly. I wont be buying anything this fall, so Ill get hands on time at the spring fishing shows etc. There is a guide near me that offers electronics training time, and I am thinking of scheduling some time with him. It would be nice to see how someone who uses his graphs everyday utilizes the features vs my guess as to how I am going to use them.

Thanks for the input!

Wayne P.

• Largemouth
  • I'm Wacky about Wacky
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 05:28:00 PM »

Thats a very good point. I do like the Navionics features on the app so Id like to keep on with them when I get my units.

I have been doing my research, and so far it makes the most sense to stay with 2 of the same series units, solix/solix or  Carbon/Carbon, just to ensure they will communicate correctly. I wont be buying anything this fall, so Ill get hands on time at the spring fishing shows etc. There is a guide near me that offers electronics training time, and I am thinking of scheduling some time with him. It would be nice to see how someone who uses his graphs everyday utilizes the features vs my guess as to how I am going to use them.

Thanks for the input!

The Navionics Mobile App "features" like depth offset, depth highlighting, fishing mode, the new shaded depth, etc) do not work with Humminbird units. Some may work with Lowrance units.

Pipepro

• Charter Member
  • Welding fool
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 07:16:01 PM »

Wayne,

No kidding?

Im surprised. I guess I need to do more reading. I do like the navionics app, but I really want to be able to use side scan and mark waypoints on the image and have them show up on the map. Its the only way it makes any sense to me, marking waypoints to fish, and knowing where I need to position the boat to effectively fish them.

I guess its no biggie if I dont use the App as much once I get some units on the boat, Ill still use it to pre fish, and for making my plan the night before.

Wayne P.

• Largemouth
  • I'm Wacky about Wacky
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 08:13:38 PM »

Wayne,

No kidding?

Im surprised. I guess I need to do more reading. I do like the navionics app, but I really want to be able to use side scan and mark waypoints on the image and have them show up on the map. Its the only way it makes any sense to me, marking waypoints to fish, and knowing where I need to position the boat to effectively fish them.

I guess its no biggie if I dont use the App as much once I get some units on the boat, Ill still use it to pre fish, and for making my plan the night before.

You can stop the screen scrolling with Side Imaging, move the curser to a subject and mark a waypoint. That has zero do it with any mapping. Waypoints are GPS data, not map data. Mapping is just a background on the plotter view. You can do the same with Lakemaster, or Humminbird basemap, or no map background. Mapping not GPS and GPS is not mapping.

3deez

• Smallmouth
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 08:53:03 AM »

your eyes are much closer to the console screen so I would put the larger unit on the bow. on the other hand, if you are constantly in split screen, the larger unit on the console might be better. I have two 9" units and it works for me.
2017 Crestliner PT18 Mercury 150 hp Pro XS
Minn Kota 80lb Fortrex
10' Talon
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 23 queries.