Suggestions for a new (pitch/flip/frog) reel

Started by rman, August 06, 2018, 01:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rman

So I'm looking for a new rod, and think I'm going with a 7'4"  H2o Xpress Tac40 Heavy

Anyhow, need to find a good reel to go with it.
Currently do 90% of my fishing with a 7' MH and Revo SX. So what I imagine for a new reel would be a little heftier... heavier drag, faster retrieve

OR switch the Revo SX to the new reel and find something new, silky, and smooth for my current 7' MH

The new Revo Beast comes out next month and looks to be amazing w/30lb drag
Also considering some Daiwa reels (Tatula Type R)

Any other suggestions? Shimano Curado? Maybe the H2o XpressTAC40 reel? Only problem is those both have 12lb drags.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

LgMouthGambler

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

basss

30 lbs. of drag ... dang ... you fishing or gator wrastlin'?
1995 Gheenoe Highsider
2018 12' Bote HD Paddleboard

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on August 06, 2018, 01:59:01 PM
http://www.ultimatebass.com/bass-fishing-forum/index.php?topic=143304.0

lo lo .. beat me to it.

Rman, I have fished with many reels for my frog fishing application. If you are looking for an affordable workhorse reel that will serve you for a long while. The Citica is hard to beat. Good luck!!

rman

Quote from: basss on August 06, 2018, 03:26:44 PM
30 lbs. of drag ... dang ... you fishing or gator wrastlin'?
seems like skunk lately.

I'm a tech/spec junkie. I don't know what I'm doing 85% of the time. 30lb drag sounds like something to brag about.
They got guys catching catfish on barbie and ninja turtle rods, and I'm out here trying to set the hook on bluegill with a 15' surf rod...

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: rman on August 06, 2018, 04:21:29 PM
seems like skunk lately.

I'm a tech/spec junkie. I don't know what I'm doing 85% of the time. 30lb drag sounds like something to brag about.
They got guys catching catfish on barbie and ninja turtle rods, and I'm out here trying to set the hook on bluegill with a 15' surf rod...

Lol. The high drag thing is nuts, 30lbs is crazy, and dont honestly think the roller clutch bearing would hold for very long at lock down. It looks good on paper, but you aint gonna need any more than 15.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

BarryFL

I'll recommend what I use. Zillion HD in 7.3 speed. Somewhat heavy but balanced out a heavy/extra heavy rod. They can be found on eBay at great prices and have sealed bearings for use in saltwater.

~Barry~

~Barry~

rman

Impeccable timing!

I ended up getting a 13 a fishing Concept A3 on ebay for $150 brand new. It came in yesterday, I ran over to Academy and with my wife's hesitant permission, picked up a 7'3" H/F H20 Xpress Tac-40 rod.
The rod is light as a feather, and the reel is admittedly heavy at under 10oz with the power handle.

Strung her up with some 80lb Sufix Performance Braid last night, broke her in today, 4 bass in the morning (plus 2 bigger ones on a catfish setup!)

The setup is a bit unbalanced but I'm novice enough to not be affected by it.

Still fine tuning it, but it's silky smooth. I'm in love with the heavy rod as well. For as often as I'm getting stuck in the weeds, this thing is so much more manageable than my MH

the_huber_show

Fishbrain: The_Huber_Show