Skipping jigs under docks

Started by aaron_Rockwell, August 08, 2018, 11:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aaron_Rockwell

Hi looking to buy my second dobyns . I currently  have the Sierra 734c I use for toads  and other top water and swim jigs.i have been also using it for skipping jigs under docks but am wanting to add a rod to keep set up for skipping 3/8 and occasionally 1/4 jigs. I have been looking at the Sierra  price point and specifically the 704c and 703c any experience with these rods or other recommendations would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Wizard

Some very good sticks use technique specific rods. They may have 20 in the rod box. Other, equally good anglers, like every rod to feel the same. They will have 8-10 identical rods each rigged with a different technique. Personal preference has a lot to do in buying a rod.
For me, if a rod feels good to me, I don't worry about who makes it. I probably carry 8 rods in my locker from six different makers. I do prefer a 6' rod with a fast tip and sturdy back and butt for skipping. The short rod and fast tip makes it easier to skip under docks and the sturdy back and butt allows you to pull them out. JMO

Wizard

Mike Cork

Wizard offers great advice as usual. Looks like you are already thinking a slightly shorter rod. If you are serious about dedicating it to skipping that's a good idea.

Anything involving skipping needs to have some backbone to pull a quality bass out from under whatever you might be skipping under so of the two I'd vote for the 704. A 4 power is very versatile and you'll find this rod will fill a lot of duties.  :-*

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

aaron_Rockwell

Thanks for the replies.  I have used my 734 for some skipping with good results but would like something shorter . I want to make sure the short rod would still have food skipping capabilities

Bud Kennedy

Aaron, I have a Dobyns 705CB that I have used for this application and all I can say is that it does a fine job and certainly has the backbone to drag em out from under the dock.  I did not buy the rod for that purpose, I just know it works great. 

aaron_Rockwell

Well I just decided to order the 704c and a Daiwa tatula sv should be a good setup.

Bud Kennedy

That will Git R Done for sure.  Good luck on your new purchases.

Mike Cork

yes sir, you'll enjoy that set up ~c~

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

zippyduck

That is a great choice.

I actually use the Sierra 734 and the DC744c for skipping. The 744 is great for jigs and the Sierra will skip everything. I am sure the 704 is probably a better choice for most as I skip from an all species boat that sits much higher off the water.
Oh and both reels are Daiwa sv reels.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

aaron_Rockwell

Thanks for all the replies .I have been using the 734for skipping jigs and it has been very good  . The problem was that I originally bought it for whopper plopper  and toads so I wanted to get a dock skipping setup and thought the slightly shorter 704 could be a better setup

rb-nc

I've skipped a dock or 20,000,000 in my time. If 1/4 to 3/8 is as heavy as your going to use get the 704. If a 1/2 is going to be used get the 705

bassmanstan

That should work, I personally use a Sierra 684 for skipping, I love that rod!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aaron_Rockwell

Well I will see how the 704 does the worst that can happen is i decide to try something shorter . But I'm thinking that it should be a good setup based on how well the 734 has worked for skipping.

D.W. Verts

DEPENDING ON YOUR TRAILER, there's a world of difference between skippin' a 1/4 oz. jig and  a 3/8 or half-ounce. MOST folks that are proficient at it don't like 1/4's...

And everyone has their own technique that means the world as far as equipment goes. I tend to "feather" my bait under a dock with underhand or sidearm looping casts. Some folks "Power" the bait under with lots more velocity.

I can say that from the last few months of jig skippin' that my 734 shines pretty well at both 3/8 and 1/2's. I'm only about 5' 7' (and round, too) and truthfully I always used to use a 6' 6" rod with great results "back in the day." Heck, I did  it for years with a 5' 6" PISTOL GRIP pole.

I fish a lake with something like 40,000+ docks. We skip. AND I skip my baits everywhere else too. I love to put a bait about eight feet back under a bunch of Willows. WHOO HOO.
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Jdog

Hey with your 3/8 and 1/2 oz is your total weight with trailer about 5/8-3/4. I have the 744 HP extreme

zippyduck

I love my 1/4's. That slower fall in the bushes is a killer.
But like everything speed is key. A 1/2 is much better on docks in my experience.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

D.W. Verts

Quote from: Jdog on August 09, 2018, 07:51:20 PM
Hey with your 3/8 and 1/2 oz is your total weight with trailer about 5/8-3/4. I have the 744 HP extreme

That's what I meant when I said, "it depends on the trailer"... Also, some trailers just flat skip better.

When I'm SWIMMING a jig around stuff that I'm skippin' under, I tend to use a smaller trailer. Skipping docks with a falling bait I'll use a bulkier trailer, 'cuz like Zippy says, that slowww fall does 'em in.

Sometimes.

D.W. Verts

And I could care less about what a rod says it's "rated" for, Everyone has different techniques, talents and abilities. And while Gary has a ton of thought and research put into his products, in the end it comes down to what the anger likes, and what he can accomplish with his equipment.

I watched Guido Hibdon pitch too many little 1/8 and 1/4 ounce jigs with teeny trailers on a MH spinning rod that was a BUGGY WHIP compared to my casting. equipment Jeez, could that man put a bait under a dock. Sometimes into the next Zip Code. And he could catch 'em, too (and there's my Gete reference- it's probably been two weeks since I used his name.)