Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Racheting Winch  (Read 190 times)

tooboocoo

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
Racheting Winch
« on: August 09, 2018, 10:26:27 AM »

I want to replace my DL 1400lb stock winch on my RangerTrail with a racheting type winch. Any suggestions as to brand or type? Thanks

Bud Kennedy

• Life Member
  • PFD's and KILL SWITCHES SAVE LIVES
Re: Racheting Winch
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 10:46:34 AM »

I don't have any recommendations for you but.....I am curious about why you are considering a ratcheting winch.

tooboocoo

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 11:09:19 AM »

Some of the lakes I fish you can't power-on your boat.  And it always comes to a point where you lose leverage and a racheting handle would allow me to re-position for better traction (and stay dry in the process  ~cf)

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
  • Get the Net it's a Hawg
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 11:21:12 AM »

This is an interesting idea and something I would love to see how you do it. When complete please post photos.

A Ratcheting Winch is pretty basic, I would think if you got one from a name brand (craftsman?) and not some cheap no-name wal-mart crap that it will be fine.
Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

FloridaFishinFool

• Charter Member
    • Kel's Rod & Reel Repair Shop
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 01:26:28 PM »

Harbor Freight has them with strap or cable.
Works for factory authorized warranty service center for Shimano, Daiwa, Penn, Lew's, Mitchell, Quantum, Fin Nor, Abu Garcia, and Okuma reels. Also authorized warranty service center for Minn Kota, and Motor Guide Trolling motors

SteelHorseCowboy

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 08:16:09 AM »

Harbor Freight has them with strap or cable.
I tell folks, "Anything from Harbor Freight should be considered disposable. Even their anvils."

But a lot of their stuff, although maybe not the quality of a good name brand item, turns out to be a HUGE bargain.
I have a tumbler I use for cleaning and polishing brass casings. I think it cost $40. About half or a little less than what a "good" brass tumbler costs from other reloading sources. I've run around 2,000 cases through it, 50 at a time.
We've got some ratchet wrenches at work that've taken quite a bit of abuse and still kicking. As well as a motorcycle and lawnmower jack.
Some of their stuff I've taken back for a refund within seconds of opening the package.

I think a ratcheting winch would be a safe purchase from them, so long as no one expects an actual lifetime of use from it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

FloridaFishinFool

• Charter Member
    • Kel's Rod & Reel Repair Shop
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 08:37:56 AM »

I agree a lot of their stuff is cheap junk. I don't buy their tools, but the winch I got from them for my boat trailer is still working like new, no rust, and it is now 5 years old. So some of their stuff is usable and still cheap!  ;D

Oh, and the LED trailer lights I got from them are also still working great as is the trailer jack.

I went to a local trailer shop and when I saw their prices I ran back to Harbor Freight... and I also bought one of their trailer spare tire mounts. So some things can be useful from there.
Works for factory authorized warranty service center for Shimano, Daiwa, Penn, Lew's, Mitchell, Quantum, Fin Nor, Abu Garcia, and Okuma reels. Also authorized warranty service center for Minn Kota, and Motor Guide Trolling motors

Bud Kennedy

• Life Member
  • PFD's and KILL SWITCHES SAVE LIVES
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 08:46:24 AM »

I am kinda funny about stuff for the boat or boat trailer.  I always want a quality dependable and long life product.  The winch does more than cranking your boat on the trailer.  It also holds the boat during trailing. You don't need something to break or slip when running highway speeds.

SteelHorseCowboy

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 09:33:47 AM »

I don't blame ya. An HF winch would probably be absolutely fine, but peace of mind means a lot.

But, assuming your current winch is fine and already gives you that piece of mind, have you considered whether or not there's a way to ADD a cheap ratcheting winch that would serve your needs, and use your current winch for your final tie-down for trailering?
Just throwing that idea out there.

If that's not an option either, I've used a lot of Reese products on the pipelines, and they're not crazy expensive.

https://www.reesehitches.com/products/7064600?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvd6y0Nji3AIVDIZpCh0jEAfSEAQYByABEgIoPPD_BwE

https://www.reesehitches.com/categories/Hand_Winches,1011

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

tooboocoo

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2018, 04:33:58 PM »

Finally got it figured out.  Dutton-Lainson makes a racheting handle that works on a couple of their winches (I don't think they offer a winch that comes with one).  Handle was $35....and worth every penny.

This is an interesting idea and something I would love to see how you do it. When complete please post photos.

A Ratcheting Winch is pretty basic, I would think if you got one from a name brand (craftsman?) and not some cheap no-name wal-mart crap that it will be fine.

Princeton_Man

• CM Community Diplomat
  • My Mission is goin' fishin'
    • J.Langridge
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2018, 04:37:13 PM »

I like that!
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Proud Member LSCR Club

mygreenihc

• Charter Member
  • Roll Tide
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2018, 01:00:27 PM »

Dude!  That's a jolly good idea.  There is nothing worse than a cramp halfway though the process of loading your boat. 

Brad
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 24 queries.