Minor surgery performed today

Started by Pacific NW Ron, August 10, 2018, 06:20:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacific NW Ron

My fishing buddy got hooked today.  He caught a little bass about 12" long on a crankbait  and it was flopping around while he was trying to get the hook out and he got the other treble hook in his hand.  The fish was hooked on the front hook and was still hooked when he got the trailer hook in his hand.  When he got hooked of course he says "ouch" and lets go of the fish which drives the hook deeper.  Now he's hooked and the fish is hooked too.  What to do first get the hook out of him or the fish.  He tries to get the hook out of his hand and realizes it's in below the barb and it aint going be a pretty picture. Meanwhile the fish is flopping around driving the hook deeper.   I ask him if he needs help and he says "What do you think"  "I say OK let me get my surgical tools out".  He says "What the hell you going do"?  I say "I'm going to help you get the hook out of your hand and fish, or I can take you to emergency room.  Now he says "I'm not going to emergency room".
So to make matters look good I get out a needle nose pliers, a side cutter, some forceps and a knife.  The expression on his face was hilarious.  He says "Do we really need all that"?   Mean while he's still holding the fish in his right hand while being hooked in his left hand. 
I get the fish unhooked and cut the line off the lure.  I take the needle nose  pliers and bring the hook through and clip the barb off and he pulls the hook out.  I say "See that wasn't so bad was it"?  Of course his response is "Not for you, but did you have to get all that stuff out.  That sure didn't help any".
I don't know what a guy would do if he got in that situation when he was by himself.
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

Bassinkorea

Lol, I would have loved to see his face when you pulled out the operating tools.

I do fish alone most of the time, and this is one of the reasons I don't like to use baits with treble hooks so often.
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

Lipripper

Quote from: Bassinkorea on August 10, 2018, 06:36:42 PM
Lol, I would have loved to see his face when you pulled out the operating tools.

I do fish alone most of the time, and this is one of the reasons I don't like to use baits with treble hooks so often.
Me either BK that's why I fish with Frogs and senkos.  lo lo Ron that would of made a great video. He's lucky it was hooked where it was and not in his thumb or fingers. ~sweat

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Capt. BassinLou

Ouch!! Similar situation happened to me with a small bass and rapala lure. Long story short, an emergency room visit was needed.
:(

Lipripper

Quote from: Bassinlou on August 10, 2018, 06:45:34 PM
Ouch!! Similar situation happened to me with a small bass and rapala lure. Long story short, an emergency room visit was needed.
:(
Ouch and the same thing happened to Mike and he got it on video . ;D So far I've been lucky  ~sweat but then again I don't fish with to many baits with treble hooks on them.

cd1

Quote from: Pacific NW Ron on August 10, 2018, 06:20:57 PM

I don't know what a guy would do if he got in that situation when he was by himself.

If it was over 7 lbs I'd cut my hand off at the wrist and throw the whole mess in the live well.   ~roflmao

FloridaFishinFool

Someone I knew got hooked recently. I had a pair of needle nose pliers with cutters. A quick push through the skin and it snapped through. you could hear the barb snap or make a noise as it came through the skin. In a few seconds the barb was cut off and it was removed. No blood and he said no pain.

Back to fishing!
Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!

Wizard

Your example is the reason I use a Boga Grip when fishing cranks and top water baits. I bought one the first time I saw it. I haven't been stuck since.
The worst stick I've seen was watching the filming of a fishing video. The cameraman had turned around to check some gear as the angler retrieved his lure from a bush. The angler jerked the lure from the bush and it smacked the cameraman right in the butt. That ended filming for the day.

Wizard

Wizard

Oldfart9999

I've done it by myself, not a lot of fun, I've bent the barb flat when the cutters wouldn't do the job.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Bud Kennedy

I carry a pair of compound diagonal cutters just for this purpose.  Some hooks are really tough and the compound cutters get it done.

SteelHorseCowboy

Saw this video on Facebook and thought this a relevant place to share it.

That's some pain tolerance right there. I have a dangerously high pain tolerance myself, but I might would have shed a tear or two.
At the very least, I'd've been cussing up a storm.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Lipripper

Quote from: SteelHorseCowboy on August 12, 2018, 07:27:48 AM
Saw this video on Facebook and thought this a relevant place to share it.

That's some pain tolerance right there. I have a dangerously high pain tolerance myself, but I might would have shed a tear or two.

Ouch and KVD acted like it was just another day on the water and went right back to fishing.  ~sweat

Pacific NW Ron

Quote from: SteelHorseCowboy on August 12, 2018, 07:27:48 AM

Oh believe me he was cussing.  He's not one to keep his thoughts to himself and he was pretty vocal.
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

Pacific NW Ron

Quote from: Lipripper on August 12, 2018, 11:29:40 AM
Ouch and KVD acted like it was just another day on the water and went right back to fishing.  ~sweat
I don't think that was his first time.  Sure seemed calm.

Lipripper

Quote from: Pacific NW Ron on August 12, 2018, 11:32:59 AM
I don't think that was his first time.  Sure seemed calm.
yelp just another day at the office and solving a problem then back to work ;D

SteelHorseCowboy

Quote from: Pacific NW Ron on August 12, 2018, 11:31:12 AM
Oh believe me he was cussing.  He's not one to keep his thoughts to himself and he was pretty vocal.
He kept it clean on the video...
Or whoever made the video cleaned it up!

I saw an edited video of myself once giving a class on the M249 Light MG ("light" is relative, depends on how far you carry it).
It made me sound like R2-D2.

Oldfart9999

Notice he put the hook back on the crankbait.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Lipripper

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on August 12, 2018, 06:22:38 PM
Notice he put the hook back on the crankbait.
Rodney
It was a real Bleeding hook.  lo