Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lower Unit Gears stripped  (Read 291 times)

Msn26753

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
Lower Unit Gears stripped
« on: August 12, 2018, 01:22:51 PM »

So..  Cruising the river and felt a little jerk then another one,  almost felt like i was running outta gas...  Then it gave out...  Assuming the only thing it could be is the gears in lower unit.but please give mw other thoughts if there are any.. . Will go normal till i hit about 2500 rpm about 10mph then jumps out of gear,  rpms shootup and no thrust...  Anyhow..  Im sure its the gears,  but just wondering how complicated to change these things..  I can change brakepads and alternators and stuff,  but is this a easier task or not..  Gears seem to run about 600 bucks,  and im sure a mechanic is gonna be 1000... Its 1995. Mercury Blackmaxx 150..

FloridaFishinFool

• Charter Member
    • Kel's Rod & Reel Repair Shop
Re: Lower Unit Gears stripped
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 01:26:23 PM »

The first thing I would check would be to drain the fluid in the lower unit and look for metal shavings. If your gears are ground up, then those metal parts and shavings will be in the oil for you to see.

Sometimes it may not be the gears that are damaged. It could just be the dog clutch if your lower unit has one.

Check fluid first and that will tell you yea or nea on the gears. If there are no metal shavings in the oil, check for a clutch dog problem. Lastly could be the shaft that goes up into the motor.

Good luck and keep us informed!

Wait a minute... I just reread your post. You say it jumps out of gear? Then you may simply have an adjustment problem.

Might be best to take it in for an inspection by a mechanic.
Works for factory authorized warranty service center for Shimano, Daiwa, Penn, Lew's, Mitchell, Quantum, Fin Nor, Abu Garcia, and Okuma reels. Also authorized warranty service center for Minn Kota, and Motor Guide Trolling motors

Bud Kennedy

• Life Member
  • PFD's and KILL SWITCHES SAVE LIVES
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 01:33:34 PM »

Perhaps you did lose the lower unit but it is also possible you just spun a prop hub.  All you can do is go through the checks to find out.  If you have the transmission in gear and you can turn the prop by hand it could be the hub.  If it is seized up and nothing turns then the gears are a good bet or at least something related to it.  Sorry to hear about you problem.  I have been there before myself.

FloridaFishinFool

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 03:05:14 PM »

Perhaps you did lose the lower unit but it is also possible you just spun a prop hub. 

Good call Bud! I forgot all about that one!

But he did say it was jumping out of gear. A spun hub would not do that would it?

Usually with a spun hub he can get enough friction at low power levels to move and possibly return to ramp even if slowly. But if it won't stay in gear, doesn't that tend to point to a possible linkage adjustment issue?

I'm curious to read what the problem with this one is...
Works for factory authorized warranty service center for Shimano, Daiwa, Penn, Lew's, Mitchell, Quantum, Fin Nor, Abu Garcia, and Okuma reels. Also authorized warranty service center for Minn Kota, and Motor Guide Trolling motors

Bud Kennedy

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 03:08:08 PM »

I missed the jumping out of gear part.  Nope, hub would not cause that.

Msn26753

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 03:08:49 PM »

I will drain oil to check and see..  I just parked boat and had family over so i didnt want to get messing with it..  Already a bad day,  didnt want to make it worst.. Lol..  It goes in slow gear just pops out in high gear..  I will check for shavings and see..  I have a call into a friends friend that works on them,  i may have to bring it to him with alot more experience..  I wil check the hub too and see if it spins.. 

Msn26753

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 03:11:01 PM »

I day jumping out of gear.. But what i mean is it feels like a standard car when you push the clutch in..  I give it throatle and i move slowly till about 10mph then give it more throatle and rpms shoot up and no power,  when i let off on throatle it starts creaping along again.. 

FloridaFishinFool

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2018, 03:16:18 PM »

Just trying to guess based on your description now sounds like Bud's idea of a spun hub or clutch dog are the only two places where slippage can occur - that I know of.

Both are relatively easy fixes, though a clutch dog may require a professional to replace, the prop you should be able to do yourself. Do you have any spare props you can switch it out with?

I would definitely check the oil first and foremost to see if there are metal shavings in the oil. If there isn't then proceed with a prop switch if you have one. If you see metal shavings in the oil stop right there and get a professional.

Msn26753

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 03:21:52 PM »

Dont have any time to check oil now,  but i put it in gear and prop spins with a loud pop whenever it turns.. 

FloridaFishinFool

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2018, 03:25:58 PM »

At this point I would not recommend to keep running it. Doing so could cause more harm.

I'd stop all that and get it to a pro... safest bet.

Msn26753

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2018, 06:12:21 PM »

I havent been driving it..  But while its parked,  i can put in drive and spin the hub by hand..  It makes a clank when it makes 1 full rev. Maybe this is my lucky day and it is just a spun hub..  How coukd i tell fur sure, and can they rehub a prop,  or do i have to fork out 300 bucks on a new one.

Bud Kennedy

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2018, 06:39:24 PM »

Man, I don't know what to tell you.  For me I would simply put on the spare prop and see if I could still spin or hear the clank.  Other than that, take it to the shop and have them find the problem. 

As to your other question, yes a new hub can be pressed in.  Just take to prop to a qualified shop and they can check it out for you as well.  Otherwise welcome to the land of new lower unit.  Time to break out another thousand if that is the case.

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2018, 06:52:09 PM »

I'd take it to a good shop and let them check it out, it could be something simple or a complete rebuild, the shop will let you know and be able to fix it.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

fishandkamp

• Charter Member
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2018, 10:54:43 PM »

Many of the new props do not even require the hub be pressed in. You push the hub in the prop by hand. Replacing it is a few minute job. I know most of the new Merc props are built that way, and so is my Turning point prop.

Msn26753

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2018, 01:34:13 PM »

Took off Prop, Brought it to Prop Shop, They said it was definately a Spun Hub... $70 Bucks Later and I should be on the water this evening... Awesome!!! Thanks Bud, So Glad you mentioned it, because I was already looking at a lower unit online... Saved Me about 1.5 G's....lol... I just assumed a Spun Hub would not let you move at all.. I thought for sure it was the High Gear... Anyhow, Im gonna test it tonight, but Im sure thats all it was... !!

FloridaFishinFool

• Charter Member
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2018, 01:38:36 PM »

Awesome news! Nice when its under a hundred to fix a B.O.A.T.

Bud Kennedy

• Life Member
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2018, 01:52:20 PM »

Took off Prop, Brought it to Prop Shop, They said it was definately a Spun Hub... $70 Bucks Later and I should be on the water this evening... Awesome!!! Thanks Bud, So Glad you mentioned it, because I was already looking at a lower unit online... Saved Me about 1.5 G's....lol... I just assumed a Spun Hub would not let you move at all.. I thought for sure it was the High Gear... Anyhow, Im gonna test it tonight, but Im sure thats all it was... !!

So glad it worked out for you.  I am pleased my suggestion saved you some money.  We all need something that goes right every once in a while.  Let us know how everything works when you get back on the water.

Lipripper

• LM Forum Staff
  • Chicago Illinois
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2018, 05:36:21 PM »

Good for you and be sure to report back after you get it out on the water.  That's what is so great about this site members helping each other out.  ~c~ ~c~

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Msn26753

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2018, 09:09:13 PM »

Yep..  Just got back in..  Sorry to say,  i only caught 1 bass..  But the motor ran Great...  Thanks again guys..  I appreciate everything.. 

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2018, 06:58:19 AM »

Congrats on an easy, inexpensive fix!!! Good deal, finding the answer here, it's one of the benefits of being a member!!!
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Lipripper

• LM Forum Staff
  • Chicago Illinois
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2018, 08:36:34 AM »

Yep..  Just got back in..  Sorry to say,  i only caught 1 bass..  But the motor ran Great...  Thanks again guys..  I appreciate everything..
Good for you on both counts.  ~c~ ~c~ Boat runs great and you didn't get skunked.  ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 24 queries.