Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Curado DC  (Read 600 times)

bassmanstan

• Charter Member
Curado DC
« on: August 12, 2018, 08:25:07 PM »

I managed to pick up a Curado DC 8:5:1 on eBay, it came yesterday. I spooled it with 65lb max cuatro, and put it on my Sierra 734 toad rod. Tried it briefly in the neighbors pond last night and caught one small one, but I got to try it out this evening on the lake, and man, this thing is freaking awesome to operate. Set it to the number 2 setting and Iím easily getting an extra 15-20 yds casting distance, from the Tatula type r, that I had on previously. It doesnít even try to backlash. Initial thoughts are Iím very impressed. Iím not a reel guru, so I donít know all the internal specs, Iíd love to here a review from Mike, or LMG on them. Anyway just thought Iíd share my .02 on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 08:33:01 PM by bassmanstan »

FloridaFishinFool

• Charter Member
    • Kel's Rod & Reel Repair Shop
Re: Curado DC
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 08:52:06 PM »

Not surprised at all to hear about your improved casting distance. Drop that line to 25 and you might be able to snag the moon.
Works for factory authorized warranty service center for Shimano, Daiwa, Penn, Lew's, Mitchell, Quantum, Fin Nor, Abu Garcia, and Okuma reels. Also authorized warranty service center for Minn Kota, and Motor Guide Trolling motors

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
  • Get the Net it's a Hawg
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 10:43:27 AM »

I have not had the DC Curado apart yet. However, if it's anything like the Calais DC, they call it a microprocessor but it's almost magnetically controlled. The spool spins inside a set of windings. The spool spinning inside the windings generates an input that the minicomputer uses to apply braking power when needed. Pretty cool actually, I don't know anything about the 1's and 0's side of it though.

Here is a link I don't mind sharing. It doesn't have a lot of actual tech info
https://fishingtackleretailer.com/shimano-bring-digital-control-to-curado-reels/
Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

LgMouthGambler

• Ultimate Basser
  • Shimano, Daiwa, HawgTech, Dobyns, LSCR, Megabass
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 10:54:10 AM »

You wont hear a review from me on it. I wont buy one.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

bassmanstan

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 10:55:29 AM »

You wont hear a review from me on it. I wont buy one.
How come?

LgMouthGambler

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 10:58:41 AM »

How come?

Not a fan of Shimanos new stuff. Build quality is not to my "Shimano" standards, and hate that they cut corners, and did some things with the design that makes me say "WTF". I personally have no use for a DC reel, and have used and been through quite a few. If I want "casting control" Ill just use the standard brakes and my thumb (if needed), or Ill go the Daiwa Magforce/SV route. Less things to fail.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

bassmanstan

• Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 11:03:56 AM »

Makes sense I guess, I wonít likely buy another, cause they ainít exactly cheap, but it is fun to use. Longevity remains to be seen.

FloridaFishinFool

• Charter Member
    • Kel's Rod & Reel Repair Shop
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 12:23:37 PM »

I can't wait to get my new DC. The Calcutta DC is a much loved and coveted reel.

This reel is a game changer.

Shame though us lefties have to wait until September to buy our reels. Hurry up shimano.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 02:43:53 PM by FloridaFishinFool »
Works for factory authorized warranty service center for Shimano, Daiwa, Penn, Lew's, Mitchell, Quantum, Fin Nor, Abu Garcia, and Okuma reels. Also authorized warranty service center for Minn Kota, and Motor Guide Trolling motors

LgMouthGambler

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2018, 12:37:35 PM »

Makes sense I guess, I wonít likely buy another, cause they ainít exactly cheap, but it is fun to use. Longevity remains to be seen.

For a DC reel, it is cheap. For the better ones, you will be in the $400 range and up. There is a reason the Curado DC is cheap, and the parts inside it are what enable it to be. I wasnt a huge fan of the "I" series reels that Shimano put out either, and was waiting on them to bring something better than the K to the table for me to make a "newer" reel purchase. They didnt, so I managed to snag some Citica Is, and a 14Scorpion for a "price worthy" purchase. Ill play around with them, and maybe they will stay in my arsenal. Last DC reel I had was the 15Metanium DC, and seen no advantage over my Daiwa SV103, and build quality in the SV103 is way above the Metanium (after all, its a TD Zillion with TDZ/Steez spool capabilities). I still cant fathom the new Daiwas either for that matter, they really wanna push that TWS line guide, and I dont care for it. They had a great thing with the SV103 reels, and it brought back the love for the ole TDZ reels of the past. (which by the way still have a huge following, and tons of people using their "old" Daiwas.  ~shade )

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
  • Get the Net it's a Hawg
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2018, 01:01:56 PM »

Bassmasstan be proud of your reel, enjoy it and if you find you have the funds, buy another one. Fish what works for you. The tech in this reel is proven, the parts in this reel are also proven. Some just refuse to believe that years of usability isn't good enough. They believe it's going to fall apart one day, it might be ten years from now  ~roflmao You already said it cast better and further than your other reels, don't let these guys make you think it's not a worthy reel, it is!

LGM ~roflmao I know you think it went cheap (Curado) but it's still out there making casts with no more people complaining about them than they do the Daiwa stuff.  I get that you're personally not happy with the builds. I do... and he asked for it, but come on man, Bassmanstan just bought a piece of art, let him enjoy it! You should put a disclaimer in your posts and let folks know that there are Shimano reels worthy of your hands.

In the Curado series, I'll take an E, I, K, DC over any reel on the market. I'll even take a G over many other reels on the market.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

bassmanstan

• Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 01:10:55 PM »

Oh, trust me heís not dumping on my parade, I still love it, but I do respect LMGs knowledge and opinions on reels, I have a Curado K on my cranking rod an I love that one too. I canít fork out $250 on very many reels but it is fun to have a few. Once theyíre around for awhile and the price drops some, I may very well get some more if this one holds up.

LgMouthGambler

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2018, 01:32:05 PM »

I dont put censorship in my posts.  ~roflmao

Pipepro

• Charter Member
  • Welding fool
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2018, 06:27:11 PM »

Very nice! I have been watching some of the video reviews on them, they sound awesome.

I think any advancement in reel tech along with bringing the price closer to the weekend warrior budget is a good thing. I got my wife a Tatula TWSV so she could learn with fewer backlashes. I am going to try and pick up one of these for myself!

Congrats on a new reel
2017 Stratos 186 VLO 115 SHO

Pro Reel

• Lunker
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2018, 07:23:17 PM »

Well, I'll tell you this, for what it's worth. I've seen the insides of just about every reel made in the last 15 years at least, many many times over. I personally own 18 pristine quality Curado E reels with Metanium bearings in them and carbon fiber washers. I love those reels but for the first time I'm very seriously considering selling them all and buying a bunch of DC Curados. I don't see anything I don't like about them. Be proud of yours. I bet that within a year, there will be some better deals from Ebay dealers on new DC Curados. Find one with a good rep and you will be able to save a few bucks.
The only other reel I would consider is a zillion, but I would have to do some upgrades to it right out of the box and I think they are just priced a little higher than they would be worth to me.

Bud Kennedy

• Life Member
  • PFD's and KILL SWITCHES SAVE LIVES
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2018, 07:38:38 PM »

WOW Kevin, That is a pretty stout vote of confidence for the Curado DC.  What are you seeing in this reel that has caused you to issue such a stellar vote of support?

Sandman7925

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2018, 07:55:03 PM »

I kinda want to try one but I probably wonít. My thumb is trained. And if a DC reel doesnít do its job one time after I got used to it Iíd probably have the worst backlash ever.

Might buy my Dad one for Christmas though. Heís the king of backlashes.

Nutt

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2018, 08:48:42 AM »

Some reels are better than others.  If I like something, it doesn't matter what someone else thinks or says.  To each his own.  The bottom line is if you like it, go with it.   
Getting me some cold cuts!!  WHOOO!!

Bud Kennedy

• Life Member
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2018, 10:34:20 AM »

Some reels are better than others.  If I like something, it doesn't matter what someone else thinks or says.  To each his own.  The bottom line is if you like it, go with it.

there ya go.  If you like the reel then that is all that counts.  I feel the same about my TAT SVTW reels they work for me and I really don't care if someone else does not like them.  I like em and I pay the bills so I guess I get my way.    ~c~

Sc Bassin

• Largemouth
  • There he is!
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2018, 01:54:08 PM »

Bud one must wonder what the Mrs has to say about you getting your way. ~b~

Bud Kennedy

• Life Member
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2018, 01:57:45 PM »

Well, you know the deal.  She just lets me think I get it my way.  We all know who the boss is around here and it ain't me.   ;D  I only get my way if she approves

Stren_g

• Largemouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2018, 04:54:23 PM »

That is one sharp lookin reel! I'd like to be able to cast the kind of distances folks are reporting with those.  I think I'll just watch from a distance on those DC reels though... I put way too much time in learning thumb control to let the reel do the thinkin.

bassmanstan

• Charter Member
Curado DC
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2018, 05:48:42 PM »

I ainít gonna lose my thumb control unless I switch to all these, I still have plenty of other reels I use, and skipping and stuff your still gonna have to thumb I would think. Maybe thatís a monkey control tactic

SteelHorseCowboy

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2018, 06:15:41 AM »

I just want that green handle!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

LgMouthGambler

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2018, 06:55:32 AM »

I just want that green handle!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Yeah. I want one for my Curado50E.

Stren_g

• Largemouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2018, 08:08:58 AM »

I ainít gonna lose my thumb control unless I switch to all these, I still have plenty of other reels I use, and skipping and stuff your still gonna have to thumb I would think. Maybe thatís a monkey control tactic

[/quote

Monkey control tactic  lo Just yesterday I was going through some gear, and figured I'd like to add a couple more rod/reel combos... thought to myself "self, you only ever take 3 or 4 on the kayak... ya don't need any more"... I just figured I think too much and started cruising the Dobyn's site.

Kawidaddy

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2018, 04:25:14 PM »

I can't wait to get my new DC. The Calcutta DC is a much loved and coveted reel.

This reel is a game changer.

Shame though us lefties have to wait until September to buy our reels. Hurry up shimano.

Hate the waiting game. I keep hoping everytime i check my email,i have a notice that mine has been shipped. I did see a few 151 and 151xg out but no 151hg(which is what i pre-ordered)
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.265 seconds with 23 queries.