How do you hunt your Pea's? Artificial's or Live Bait?

Started by Capt. BassinLou, August 14, 2018, 07:12:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. BassinLou

I have been around Peacock Bass since the late 80's early 90's and have always used an assortment of treble baits to target Pea's until recently. I was invited to go fishing exclusively for Pea's a little while ago, and the use of live bait was really emphasized. Mind you I haven't used live bait for fresh water since h.s. (which was a loooong time ago. lo lo) I got to say however, it made for some fun fishing that's for sure.

So on top of what baits do you use to fish for Pea's, what kind of Live bait do you use?

RangerAndBass

I've only used live bait for largemouth once & it was with a bobber on Toho. Do you fish for Peas with live bait difference?
Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic!

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: RangerAndBass on August 16, 2018, 08:31:20 PM
I've only used live bait for largemouth once & it was with a bobber on Toho. Do you fish for Peas with live bait difference?
When I fished with live bait, we free lined our baits. When the bait began to get lively, a peacock was near by.

SFL BassHunter

I've always caught them on artificial. Usually while trying to catch bass. If I see a pea I'll target it.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

big g

I have caught a few this week, all with artificial baits.  4 " stick-os.  I don't target peas but they will ambush a bait if your moving it past cover.  They are fun to catch, fun to fight, but a pain in the ass when you Lip them and try to get the hook out.  They don't play nice like a bass, but rather it's like holding a lit Chinese firecracker, you never know when it's going to go off. ~roflmao
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

RangerAndBass

Quote from: Bassinlou on August 16, 2018, 09:09:39 PM
When I fished with live bait, we free lined our baits. When the bait began to get lively, a peacock was near by.
That would be fun.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

RangerAndBass

Quote from: big g on August 16, 2018, 11:30:20 PM
I have caught a few this week, all with artificial baits.  4 " stick-os.  I don't target peas but they will ambush a bait if your moving it past cover.  They are fun to catch, fun to fight, but a pain in the ass when you Lip them and try to get the hook out.  They don't play nice like a bass, but rather it's like holding a lit Chinese firecracker, you never know when it's going to go off. ~roflmao
Is it because its earlier in the year when I've fished them, as I could only ever get them on active reaction baits? Never something as slow as a worm. Is it because water temp is that much warmer when they are hitting the worm?

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: big g on August 16, 2018, 11:30:20 PM
Peas have no quit in them. They will tear your finger up. No matter how hard you hold them they find a way to powerhouse their way out. Grips are the best way to hold them. They are the reason I keep small grips in my bank fishing tackle bag.

Quote from: RangerAndBass on August 17, 2018, 08:49:18 AM
Is it because its earlier in the year when I've fished them, as I could only ever get them on active reaction baits? Never something as slow as a worm. Is it because water temp is that much warmer when they are hitting the worm?
Chances are Big G was using his 4 inch sticko like a fluke and getting that reaction strike. Rarely will they hit anything on the bottom and slow. But every once and a while:

I did catch 2 of them that were pushed up against the bank huddled together and those were caught with a bitters toad on the bottom t rigged. Water was really shallow, I flipped my bait and pinned them against the bank. This seemed to have threatened them and I was able to aggravate them enough. Caught one right after the other. One was a bit over 3lbs.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

big g

Peas give off a lot of indicators when they are in the mood to feed.  They are not subtle when taking a bait.  They rush in from 5 or 6 feet away and crush the bait.  You will often see them coming and some will jerk it away in anticipation.  You must wait until you see the line move off to the side, or feel the strike.  You will often see the water boiling when a wolf pack of these guys circle and rush through bait balls.  Like rick said, they don't often hit a bait sitting still, unless it's actually in their bed, and then they will just move it out, until you piss them off, and then they kill it!  Since I don't target them, most of my peas are caught as i'm jerking it back quickly to make another cast, and usually close to cover.  In Weston, about 15 years ago, I have caught one big one in the 7.5 range on her bed.  I could see the vertical bars on the side of her body and she was not leaving that spot.  I had to aggravate her first, and after about 10 times just knocking it out of the bed, she absolutely killed it.  I was throwing a 7.5 Charlie ribbon tail black worm, not the usual peacock bait, but she was not going to let that sit in her bed.  I knew right away she was a brute because she took a super long run like a snook, went airbourne about 4 feet three times, and then almost put the hook in my thumb while trying to lipping her.  These are babies compared to the South American giants in the mid twenty size.  I can't imagine what that would be like to catch one of those, but it would be fun. lo
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.