What Monofilament Line do you use?

Started by Mike Cork, August 14, 2018, 10:15:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cork

What Monofilament Line do you use?

I used Big Game by Trilene for years, then I decided that BPS Excel was the same line under a different label. I've used BPS Excel for the rest of my years  :surrender:

Not that I'm unhappy with BPS Excel, but I'm always on the lookout for something different or better. I don't want to get stuck using the same old stuff if there is something better out there.

I saw an add for Sufix Advance and they make it out to be some high tech stuff. What brands and pound tests are you all using, that you like? I reckon knowing what you didn't like helps too?

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Capt. BassinLou

I throw 10-12lb. Senshi. Never have had any issue with this line for the last 2 yrs.

SteelHorseCowboy

Sufix Pro-Mix. Low memory, tough, cheap!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Bud Kennedy

I have used Sufix for many many years.  I use both Siege and Elite in sizes 8-12.  About the only think I use mono for these days is smaller crankbaits and squarebills.  I have had no issues with the sufix stuff and have no plans to change any tie soon.  I too have seen the advanced but just don't need any right now.

Dink Dawg

I have been using Sunline Super Natural for four years now.  I, like most, have fished a bunch of monos and many are good to very good and some are garbage. The Sunline comes off a reel so nice and has all the other performance attributes I want in a mono. It's competitively priced. I'm very happy with it.

loomisguy

I like the super natural as well. Along with good ol' Maxima.

coldfront

just set in my ways mike.  sticking with what works. hear good things about senshi, but experience last week with it (fishing with a friend) I didn't think it made enough of a difference.

trilene XL, clear blue fluorescent in 10 or 12# test.  topwater baits in open water.  PopR's next to stick ups, weed lines, riprap.

for every other crankbait, t-rig, jig, etc it's now flouro.

and I tend to use flouro for c-rig leaders and leaders for my spinning rods spooled with braid.

Capt. BassinLou

Ooops... I made a mistake. I throw 20 lb Senshi, since its 12lb diameter I said I was throwing 12.  ~b~

I have been enjoying this because of its thin tough diameters, not as springy as other mono's and the abrasion resistance has been pretty good. Knock on wood no break offs yet.

SteveTX

I use Stren Original Clear/Blue Fluorescent 17# for a lot of pond fishing. I use Big Game in 12# and 15# for other open water techniques. I just see no reason to be spending that extra money when I haven't had a problem. 

jfly

Pacific NW Ron

I've used Maxima for as long as I can remember.  I used it all both saltwater and freshwater.  I use mainly 6 to 12 pound depending on conditions.  Very seldom heavier than 12lb.  All my adult life I've fished lighter line and gear than a lot of anglers do. 
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

topdsm0138

I grew up using Stren fishing line. It's what my granddad and I both used. My dad on the other hand, swore by Ande line because it was cheaper to buy.
"I'm a simple man, with simple pleasures." -Trevor Belmont

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Bassinlou on August 14, 2018, 12:00:47 PM
Ooops... I made a mistake. I throw 20 lb Senshi, since its 12lb diameter I said I was throwing 12.  ~b~

I have been enjoying this because of its thin tough diameters, not as springy as other mono's and the abrasion resistance has been pretty good. Knock on wood no break offs yet.

The only issue with recommending Senshi, is the fact that it is going to be nulled. The next best line that I can find next to it, is Stren Magnathin.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Jared LeBlue

I have used all types but my go to and what I have on all my rods now is original Stren.
Ardent Prostaff

Stren_g

I use Stren magnathin 12lb. Works as it should.

Donald Garner

Been using Berkley Big Game for as long as I can remember  ~shade 
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Pferox

Ande Premium and Cxx 8 to 30lb anything over that is usually braid.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

D.W. Verts

12# & over, Big Game. 10# & under, I'm experimenting. I kinds dig the Berkley "Vanish."
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Bassinkorea

Quote from: Donald Garner on August 14, 2018, 06:12:51 PM
Been using Berkley Big Game for as long as I can remember  ~shade

Same here, 12lb and 15lb mostly, for treble hook topwater baits and spinnerbaits.
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

Oldfart9999

Trilene XL in 17 lb for topwater.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

coldfront

by the way, (and I've shared this photo before, it's about two springs ago now), this fish came out of a gnarly lay down pine tree.  In the heart of it.

removed with 10# Trilene XL, a 6 inch lizard, 1/8 oz tungsten bullet weight and a 2/0 VMC heavy duty EWG.  did spend some time 'sawing wood' with this girl and the line, but got her out.

mono is not as 'dainty' as folks would have you believe.  but you DO have to pay attention to potential for knicks/frays/rough spots.  and I get it:  lots of folks love to tie one on and forget about it.

Smallie_Stalker

Just about never use mono anymore, but when I do it's either Trilene XL or XT.

Over the many years I've tried just about all of them but I find myself coming back to these.

Little side note. Back when mono was your only line choice there was a period when I used Silver Thread as my main mono but that was back when you could buy the original AN40 Silver Thread. Once Riverside bought it the quality of the line changed and I went back to the Trilene.

Sent from my LG-H932 (LG V30 Plus) using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

KY Gambler

I've used Berkely XL since it hit the market. I'm a wormer an old one at that But time to get with todays tech. Any suggestions ?

Bud Kennedy

I am braid all the way for soft plastics.  I think you will find many here use Power Pro and us older guys also opt for a Hi Viz variety so we can see the line.  I use standard power pro.  The mrs tends to use 20# and I like the 30# size unless I am fishing frogs then I tend to go to 50# but most seem to use 65# for that condition.  I tie direct to the bait and do not use leaders of any kind

cport

^what Bud said! Me the same, Power Pro #35 for everyday worming, #55-#65 for frogging. Casts well and retains its color, nice and slick through the guides, and I like that it is round, not flat, and cuts well.
11lb 2 oz PB 🎣