What Monofilament Line do you use?

Started by Mike Cork, August 14, 2018, 10:15:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KY Gambler

Great comments guys.  Even answered another ? about direct tie or leader. Just been away for so long and advancements.  I used Spider Wire back when it first became available but it broke down quickly in the Fl sun. Thought our knotts were not holding but line would break several inchs to a foot up from lure. So have not used braid since 

cport

Quote from: KY Gambler on September 12, 2018, 12:47:48 PM
Great comments guys.  Even answered another ? about direct tie or leader. Just been away for so long and advancements.  I used Spider Wire back when it first became available but it broke down quickly in the Fl sun. Thought our knotts were not holding but line would break several inchs to a foot up from lure. So have not used braid since 
Not a big fan of Spider Wire for those reasons. Try the Power Pro. Its a great braid for the money.
11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

the_huber_show

Quote from: KY Gambler on September 12, 2018, 12:47:48 PM

Spider Wire was the first braid I tried due to being cheap and available.  I had the same issue.  I got hung up and did the wrap the line around a stick.  Broke 30lb. like nothing.

I have since been using Godline Braid.  I like it and it's not much more
Fishbrain: The_Huber_Show

SFL BassHunter

20lb Senshi or 16lb Sunline Mono

They are both thinner diameter than your normal 20 and 16lb lines.

Both have their pros and cons. Senshi is by far the most sensitive mono I have used. Dare I say, it's very similar to Fluro in the sensitive aspect. But it floats.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Dangerfield

Sufix Siege is tough as nails but not the greatest at abrasion resistance. I use it as leader material for almost all my moving baits and I'll use the same set up for shakeyhead/ned/t-rigged plastics. Straight braid for jigs, big baits and frogs, I have 40lb PP Maxcurato on one rod and 40lb Sufix 832 on the other. For some reason the 832 feels like I'm casting/retrieving rope, where the Maxcurato is more stealth. Mind you I like the visibility on the 832 green colour. During the spring when cutting through weeds aren't much of an issue up here, I'll run Sunline FC Sniper for jigs and big baits. I love that stuff, super strong, abrasion resistance and low memory.

j102

Trilene XT or Sunline. But I rarely use mono line.

1ReelFanatik

I use a lot of Big Game, Siege and AN40 with some Mean Green, XXX and Super Natural thrown in the mix.  Used XL exclusively in the old days.  Nothing wrong with it, but wanted to try something else.  Back then a good buddy used only Stren.

crankenstein

Stren clear blue fluorescent here in different lb tests. I've tried different brands of braids and flouros but these days I prefer to keep it simple. Plus the clear blue fluorescent is easy for these aging eyes to see lol.

ranger175a

Trilene xl. Never had a problem with it.

bowhunter63

Used Big Game forever,Tryed the new Suffix and really like it so far. Well worth a look
Chasin bass and huntin bucks,life is good

KY Gambler

Pferox

A number of years back I  bought a load of High Viz Orange Suffix Siege and Elite in 17 and 20lb test.  I think that was when they changed something in the formula or something because all the line was being cleared out everywhere.

I had no problems with siege at any time, it held up to piers and salt water without a hitch.  Jan still uses it on her rods.  Elite on the other hand didn't fair so well.  It was prone to immediate shredding on barnacles and shell.  I still have a few spools left, hopefully it is still good, we will see soon, I'm pretty sure.

I don't know if this report is relevant today or not because I'm sure that I'm still using the "Old Formula Batch" or what ever it was.  But wanted to share my experience.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Princeton_Man

I think I originally fished mostly Berkley Trilene and Stren but, like some others have mentioned. I pretty much abandoned monofilament years ago. Once I started fishing braid heavily (Spiderwire at that time), I had trouble with my rigs when spooled with mono. Particularly my baitcasters. Mostly bad hooksets and break-offs and I blamed it on stretch and my failure to compensate when I'd switch between the two. I think that's why first I tried fluorocarbon. Today I fish nothing but Power Pro braid and Seaguar Tatsu. 
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club