Didja ever have this happen

Started by Wizard, August 15, 2018, 11:00:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wizard

I only had my Puma a few weeks and was still learning about her. I had borrowed several props and was making test runs to see which worked best. The usual grind of fast or slow on plane, best top end, best all around, plugs or unplugged, you know, really wringing it out. I was over deep water, early morning (only time the water is flat at LOZ) and I had checked my run for dead men. (old term for a floating log or tree) I had just changed props and was ready to run. The Puma was very slow with this prop in coming on plane. I was just ready to back off the power when a huge thud and vibration shuddered through the boat. I shut down, jumped to the front deck where I laid down and peered over the gunnel. I was looking for hull damage. I didn't notice damage and looked to see what I had hit. With the hit the boat had taken, I was sure I had hit a hard object such as a log. As I'm looking around a large object rises to the surface 50 yards behind me. I idle over and it is a huge carp. One of the largest I have seen. As I was going on plane, the carp had jumped up and into the bottom of the hull. The carp had been badly bruised and battered. He was between 3-4 ft in length. I couldn't see the hull's bottom so I put the boat on the hoist. Just between the boat bottom and first strake was a big reddish brown spot and scales glued to the hull. Has anyone else hit a jumping carp?
By the way, I bought a Mazco prop that performed much like the Mercury Fury but easier on the wallet.

Wizard

mygreenihc

I have never had that happen,  but something similar.   I was fishing a night tournament that went from something like 7 PM to 2 am.  Myself and my partner were very familiar with where we were running and knew that there was nothing in this wide open space except for two marker bouys.  It is pitch black dark and we were stretched out running up the lake when it sounded like the hull took a cannon ball.  Like you,  I was very concerned with hull damage,  and from the sound of it,  significant hull damage.  Once I got it stopped,  there was no water coming in the boat,  so we idled back toward where we hit what ever it was.  We was about to leave when my partner busted out laughing.  There was goose feathers everywhere.  It looked like a down pillow had exploded.

Brad

Sandman7925

I've hit many carp. And I've had 2 rods broken by carp jumping in the boat.
I've also hit a large gator and killed it.
I hit a submerged log so hard I was almost thrown over the front end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D.W. Verts

When I used to sell John's props they were NUTS expensive. Great props, but high dollar.

Okay, since you asked...

I'm sure I've hit a carp, but never where I could tell about it. But one summer day I was runnin'  on LOZ at about the 42 MM. All of the sudden a big Spoonbill jumps about thirty feet or so in front of the boat. I hit him with the trolling motor and port-side gunnel about midships (HIS midships). A Paddlefish has a body with no skeleton, and they are full of grey Goo. Like an overfilled balloon.

And the balloon burst when I made contact with it at 38 mph.

I yanked the kill switch, and took a dive overboard as the boat got off plane. I came up rubbing my face and head- the GOO was disgusting.

A couple pulled up as I got around to the port side of the boat (they figured that I'd had an accident, which I suppose I did). I was wiping as much of that stinkin' Goo off as I could with my bare hands and lake water. They did not help and I couldn't blame them. It stunk.

When I got back in the boat (which just reminded me of a TIP that I need to share in the appropriate section) I did the same to the top of the boat. I even broke out my full face helmet and used it for a bucket. Spoonbill Goo is nothin' to mess with.

A trip on the way to the house to the car wash got the most of it out of the carpet, but the smell was there the rest of the summer.

Spoonbill jump all of the time on our lakes, and they get considerable larger than the 50-60 pound fish what did a Kamikaze leap in front of my boat. I can't believe I have never scored another one (oops, oh well.)

Then there was this Mallard duck early one morning...
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Oldfart9999

I haven't killed any live stock that I know of but have wiped out 2 props, one with a sub floater log and a few weeks later on a shoal on Oneida when a storm blew the pin buoys the wrong way, I should have trusted my GPS.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.