Leader for toothy creatures

Started by Pipepro, August 27, 2018, 07:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pipepro

The bait monkey bit me, bad. While ordering my wife a 75 plopper, I saw they had the Megabass I-Jack in stock so I snagged one.

I love fishing topwater, and I have been using 50# braid with a 20# Mono leader. However, even with the mono the occasional Northen pike will remove my bait in one quick slash.

It seems like every outing I lose one or 2 decent lures to the pike. Last week was my favorite black toad buzzbait, and the only Black and blue chatterbait I had left.

I dont want my new bait to be a one cast wonder. I am wondering if anyone has used the single strand titanium wire leaders, or should I just go old school with a braided steel leader?

I have seen a few heavy fluorocarbon leaders online, and I am curious if I should just get a leader spool of super heavy fluoro and tie my own?

Any thoughts on keeping the pike from stealing my toys? 

2017 Stratos 186 VLO 115 SHO

Pferox

My experience is based on salt water fishing, but they can correlate to fresh water toothies also.

Single strand wire is pretty fragile, one kink in it and you are guaranteed a separation.  It also limits bait action quite a bit unless you use a clip or a loop connection.

Heavy Mono or Flouro, I use 80lb Mono a lot and have brought in quite a few smaller sharks a foot or two long.  It is light enough to be cut off by larger sharks, which I don't feel like playing with.  I use crimps and a tool with clips to insure good solid connections, and enough movement of the baits.  Of course most of this kind of rigging is done at home in advance so it is a very quick replacement which happens often when dealing with sharks.

Braided wire is probably the best option for lure work, it is quite strong and helps give the lure its proper action.  Be prepared to replace often, any time there is some fraying, which happens when a toothie bites down and breaks a few wires. There are some that are tie-able, so you can keep the cost of crimps and tools down.

"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Smallie_Stalker

When I fish waters I know have toothy critters I use the Berkley Steel-On leaders. They are nylon coated steel.

I have had them for a long while so I'm not sure if they still make them, but the fact I have had them so long says something about their quality.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Pipepro

Thanks for the replies fellas.

I think Ill check out the pre rigged steel leaders.  I think it going to be the best option for me. I have had several clean bite offs even on my skipping setup with 20# sunline fluoro. The braid is even worse, I have lost too many frogs to count on 50 and 65# power pro.

I saw some of the tie-able stuff, but I was concerned about the reviews on how easily it kinked. Thanks again for the replies.

2017 Stratos 186 VLO 115 SHO

Oldfart9999

Stainless, titanium, single strand stainless leaders just comput with topwater to me, they lure just isn't going to work the same as when it's tied with mono. I use 17 and 20 lb XT mono.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Stren_g

Steel leader for sure... Every time I fish where the toothy critters live, I never get a bite when I'm ready for em. Save me tons of money on lost lures!  ~roflmao