Popular Colors That Don't Produce for You

Started by Bretts_daddy, August 29, 2018, 12:07:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bretts_daddy

Okay, we've all heard the recommendations and seen other guy's photos of their catches...Bone and Black are considered the premier fish catching colors in just about any type of lure from hard topwaters to swimbaits to soft plastics...as long as you have a variation of white and black you should be able to catch fish. That may be all well and good for most people but for me personally I have never caught a single fish on Bone or Black colored lures...not one! Most of my catches have been from lures either in a natural forage color or Green Pumpkin/Watermelon Red Flake. What are colors that you have never had any luck with despite them being extremely popular color choices nationwide?
The only stupid question is the one you don't ask!

No matter how much we know about fishing there is always more to learn!

Jared LeBlue

I don't know if I have had an issue with any base color lure. I think most of the time color is more of confidence thing than it is anything else. I stick to the basics and don't get caught up in all the crazy color patterns they have out. I believe most of that stuff catches more fisherman than it does fish.
Ardent Prostaff

Stren_g

I can't think of a single color I've tried that hasn't caught fish. I'm in the camp of "color doesn't matter as much as most folks think".

Lipripper

Quote from: Jared LeBlue on August 29, 2018, 12:36:52 PM
I don't know if I have had an issue with any base color lure. I think most of the time color is more of confidence thing than it is anything else. I stick to the basics and don't get caught up in all the crazy color patterns they have out. I believe most of that stuff catches more fisherman than it does fish.
That's what keeps the bait monkey happy. ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

D.W. Verts

Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

BrandonK

Quote from: D.W. Verts on August 29, 2018, 06:20:38 PM
Black and Blue.

Go ahead. Bite.
Surprising

Green pumpkin and watermelon don't work for me. Water is too dirty here

twocold

It's weird but I drop shot a lot can't get a bite on green pumpkin but throw on morning dawn (my buds call it my gay worm) and I kick their butts

D.W. Verts

Quote from: BrandonK on August 29, 2018, 07:33:49 PM
Surprising

Green pumpkin and watermelon don't work for me. Water is too dirty here

Nope. I don't throw black & blue 'cuz EVERYONE else does. Hence, I don't get bit on it.
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Steve81

Quote from: twocold on August 29, 2018, 07:51:20 PM
It's weird but I drop shot a lot can't get a bite on green pumpkin but throw on morning dawn (my buds call it my gay worm) and I kick their butts

That's funny because I feel like I can catch drop shot fish on just about any color EXCEPT morning dawn. I don't understand what the problem is but they just never bite it in my area as well as green pumpkin.

SteveTX

Quote from: Stren_g on August 29, 2018, 12:39:09 PM
I can't think of a single color I've tried that hasn't caught fish. I'm in the camp of "color doesn't matter as much as most folks think".
Similar thoughts here as well.

My one color I haven't fished hardly at all ever was that bubblegum pink. I think it was a fluke I tried and never had a thought I was catching anything. :surrender:

I will say the more transparent the less confidence I have because I catch less fish on them. More solid colors of just about any style solid, laminate, or tail dipped etc all produce better for me. But my water is far from clear.

BrandonK

Quote from: D.W. Verts on August 29, 2018, 09:47:21 PM
Nope. I don't throw black & blue 'cuz EVERYONE else does. Hence, I don't get bit on it.
Ahhhh. Good point, I like the thought process

Stren_g

Quote from: SteveTX on August 29, 2018, 10:07:30 PM
Similar thoughts here as well.

My one color I haven't fished hardly at all ever was that bubblegum pink. I think it was a fluke I tried and never had a thought I was catching anything. :surrender:

I will say the more transparent the less confidence I have because I catch less fish on them. More solid colors of just about any style solid, laminate, or tail dipped etc all produce better for me. But my water is far from clear.

I've caught some smallmouth on that bubble gum color, or a Methylate type color. Those little guys seem to like the crazy bright stuff.

SFL BassHunter

Black topwaters have not worked too well for me.
Bone on the other hand has.

I prefer more clear colors, but our waters are very clear and in a few of the lakes I fish the forage is damn near impossible to see. They are so camouflaged with the colors of the sand and rocks that you could walk up to the bank and not see a thing then all the sudden a pod of bait fish scatters and scare the crap out of you.

With soft plastics I've never had much luck with redbug.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Deadeye

I have very few that I haven't caught fish on, but then again I use the same basic colors all the time.

My daughter took her Mom with here (instead of me imagine that) with her to pick out some things to go fishing with me. One of the things her mom told her "these I KNOW he uses these all the time" was a Trick Worm in Redbug.

I've NEVER used that color in that worm, EVER.

However it must be a good one because when we fish together she constantly outfishes me while using that worm. Hmm, Maybe I should ask her Mom what else I should try!

coldfront

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: coldfront on August 31, 2018, 07:45:52 AM
freakin' "woops"Y SHAD.

I AM the anti-KVD   ~rant

Oh "woops"y Shad, that's a good one, that's a color that I've also not done well with lol.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

cport

Quote from: SFL BassHunter on August 31, 2018, 08:40:50 AM
Oh "woops"y Shad, that's a good one, that's a color that I've also not done well with lol.
That's coz ya gotta be "woops"y for it to work.

I don't have any either.
11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: cport on August 31, 2018, 01:55:05 PM

I don't have any either.
Oh...well that splains it.
Florida Bass Fishing

Stren_g

Quote from: coldfront on August 31, 2018, 07:45:52 AM
freakin' "woops"Y SHAD.

I AM the anti-KVD   ~rant

That's the one color crankbait I've had some luck with, KVD 1.5 in "woops"y shad...  ~shhh

cport

Quote from: SFL BassHunter on August 31, 2018, 02:22:14 PM
Oh...well that splains it.

OOOHHH Ricky....

(If you are under 50, you might not get it)

And so the thread isn't completely hijacked, I have never caught anything on Alabama Craw.
11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: cport on August 31, 2018, 02:57:47 PM
OOOHHH Ricky....

(If you are under 50, you might not get it)

And so the thread isn't completely hijacked, I have never caught anything on Alabama Craw.

Who's that?

Just Kidding!
Florida Bass Fishing

coldfront

Quote from: cport on August 31, 2018, 01:55:05 PM

I don't have any either.

it's not that I don't have them in that color:  they don't work.

which, I think, you already splained to me.

Pacific NW Ron

I've never had much success with green pumpkin of any combination.  Not sure why.  I've tried it in clear, stained and down right muddy waters.
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

coldfront

Quote from: Pacific NW Ron on August 31, 2018, 06:40:28 PM
I've never had much success with green pumpkin of any combination.  Not sure why.  I've tried it in clear, stained and down right muddy waters.

colors are funny.  used to fish this oxbow as a regular club tournament visit.  sometimes they'd want green pumpkin tubes.  sometimes black with red flake.

then I figured out they REALLY wanted a Blue-Silver 1/4 ounce PopR, but only after I switched the tail feather to chartreuse.   ;D

Smallie_Stalker

Unless I know there is a particular color that just seems to work on a certain body of water for some reason I really try and keep color selection simple to a few basics.

I don't know if you can call it a popular color but my wife bought me some worms years ago and the color was called tomato core. It was chartreuse with a red core.

The guy in the store told her they were THE hot color at that time and that I would be able to catch lots of different species with them.

She meant well.

From what I can tell they never even got a look from as much as a bluegill let alone a bass.

Sent from my LG-H932 (LG V30 Plus) using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire