Alaska Wild Shrimp and Rock Fish

Started by Donald Garner, July 09, 2019, 06:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donald Garner

Greetings,

I had the opportunity while visiting with my son in Alaska to go on a guided fishing trip.  We fished out of Whitter, Alaska.  The plan was to catch some shrimp and fish for some halibut and rock fish.  We cleaned up on the shrimp we had about 2 - 3 lbs. worth when it was all said and done. 

The halibut we zeroed out they just weren't active during this trip.  We managed to load the boat up with some rock fish.

Below are a few pictures of the shrimp and of the rock fish.

Alaska Wild Shrimp
Herman has his pods set out in 619 ft. of water.

Alaska Rock Fish
Below is a couple charts explaining about the Rock Fish.  They were a blast to catch and these fish have the heads of a largemouth bass.  We caught several species of these fish.

Sample of the catch prior to filleting them
All of our here were caught in 206 ft. of water.

My son and I with a couple each

Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Pferox

That looked like a fun trip, Don.  Thanks for sharing.

BTW, do you know what type of shrimp those were, I'm not familiar with a species with stripes like that on their legs.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Donald Garner

Jim those shrimp are call Northern Shrimp according to the website I checked.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Lee Smith

Looks like a GREAT time and good catching!  ~c~
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods